Sign in to follow this  
whereami

Reinforce Cave Floors With Strongwall

So, I am at a loss of understanding as to why this is not possible already, but it would be pretty nifty if we could use Strongwall to reinforce Cave Floors the same as we can walls. I don't think this would break anything as Strongwall is already used to reinforce things, and tbh to me it's just an inconvenience that I can't use my Mag or Sme priest to reinforce my cave floors for underground buildings. I am forced to make support beams for it currently.

I understand that mechanically, we still have to have a way of collapsing tiles with it. So my suggestion to work around this is as such:

To collapse a tile, one must cast Strongwall on a cave floor other than the one the caster is standing on. (No change to current mechanics)

To Reinforce a cave floor tile, one must cast Strongwall on the same tile the caster is stood on. (This could work for ceilings too)

Thoughts?

Edited by whereami
  • Like 3

Well, Strongwall literally has that feature in its name so....

+1 

Stromgwall spell is for walls, not floors. Hence why 'strongwall'.

+1 to reinforcing floors and to the same-tile/other-tile mechanic. Seems easily doable

4 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Stromgwall spell is for walls, not floors. Hence why 'strongwall'.

I guess I could understand that being a valid argument to it, but I merely think it's a developer oversight since the spell was created with a clear use or intention in mind. Yet it was created in an era of the game development where certain things weren't possible that are now. EG the reinforcement of cave floors being required to build underground buildings. All of which were not possible when the spell was originally created.

Also just maybe this might hinder the market for support beams (they wouldn't be required in certain instances) and thus maybe I can understand why some would be salty about it. To that I merely say, Monopolies! More ways to accomplish the same thing aren't always a bad thing in a game.

The only instance a priest need a supportbeam now is for floors, right?

I have plans to start selling support beams, so please don't ruin this chance for me.

Edited by Cecci

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

I have plans to start selling support beams, so please don't ruin this chance for me.

I have plans to start enjoying wurm, so please don't ruin this chance for me.

+1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whereami said:

I guess I could understand that being a valid argument to it, but I merely think it's a developer oversight since the spell was created with a clear use or intention in mind. Yet it was created in an era of the game development where certain things weren't possible that are now. EG the reinforcement of cave floors being required to build underground buildings. All of which were not possible when the spell was originally created.

Also just maybe this might hinder the market for support beams (they wouldn't be required in certain instances) and thus maybe I can understand why some would be salty about it. To that I merely say, Monopolies! More ways to accomplish the same thing aren't always a bad thing in a game.

There's no need tho. You can simply go without reinforcing your floors, or create support beams. This is just a mechanic to not have to do something which requires a bit more of effort or to incur into expenses. I am always against QoL changes that the only thing they do (purpose they have) is provide an easy workaround. For example: I don't want to have to prem a priest, provide me with a rune that does all priest spells.

So, when cave floors weren't reinforcable, was the market for Support Beams actually any different?
People still bought and sold plenty, myself included. I don't think it would have as much an impact as some may think... Remember, it was once this way before. The market for these hasn't really changed much.

Isn't the definition of a QoL change to make the players lives easier? Lol

Consider this too; There are always players such as myself, that will insist on "doing it themselves". If I cannot use my priest to do it, no biggie, I'll make the beams with my crafter.

But to some it could provide a better option, whereas I have priest favor to burn, and not a lot of trees to cut down and use for beams. Dunno, to me that was always the point of having a good mag priest around; So that one could set up mine systems efficiently.

Edited by whereami

it is slow going using a priest to reinforce, but on the other hand with veggie powered priests is easy peasy now

but changing the code by adding 'one' more selection on the cast would suck, I would sooner see it stay as it is

+1

Considering the changes made to the game now call for reinforced floors, where as it did not really when the spell was made it should be updated accordingly to allow reinforcing floors with it as well.

There is no logical reason to have it work on walls but not floors.

• Like 1

+1 if you can reinforce walls with strongwall, why not reinforce floors the same way, just need choice of fill tile or reinforce, not difficult code to implement

?

has anyone made a mod for this on WU?

Edited by JakeRivers

-1 Support beams are fine in my opinion. They aren't hard to create.

I think you need to take another look at support beams.  They are resource heavy and timers are very much skill dependent.  And as a person who has made 500 in the last week I can tell you  they are a PAIN IN THE ASS..  <<<Read that again if you need to.  I use two characters myself and an Alt.  I have 84 carp and He has 54.  I feel badly for people with low 50's carp much less lower.  The timers are long and the fail rate can be a bit mind numbing.  Not to mention  you had to make shafts and ribbons and mine ore etc etc.  Its a bit tedious.

Now even Shrimpie said  today they dont 100% take away collapses just reduce it quiet a bit.  So if a priest can cast it on a wall and get the same affect and then be changed to cast it on a FLOOR.. DO IT.. the amount of time and favor to get to that level and faith is its own reward.  It does not make the game simpler its just a bit more practical.  Still takes time and favor and casting time to do it.  And if the world has 2000 more reinforced floors truth is nobody wanders around enough to know or care.

• Like 1