Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

[Fixed] Grammar

I know, this isn't an error or bug per se, but I just thought I'd report the improper grammar surrounding marble oriels. It seems that all messages involving these oriels comes out something like this:   [20:28:44] You see a oriel wall.

These messages should, of course, say "an oriel wall".

I'd also like to take the opportunity to re-mention the issue with some larders and quick snowball and food decay within that I had posted on previously.

:)

• Like 1

Usually what they do with those is change the a/an to "the" as that way they do not need to add a mazework of grammar rules into the code to decide whether you are leading "a old horse" or "an old horse"

Thus "You see the oriel wall"  sidesteps the whole question of whether a noun begins with a vowel or consonant -- especially since the rule is not whether the word is spelled with a vowel/consonant, but rather whether it is pronounced  that way. Which would require the code to not only check for actual spelling (fairly easy) but also to memorize how every possible word is pronounced (a nightmare, since English is more than a little chaotic in that matter).  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1