Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Hosting a local private server, possible?

The title says it all. Is it possible to have a small server (on my own computer), that I could join, and also have a friend that can join as well?
And if so, how harsh on system resources would it be?

Yes, I have done this with my kids who live in other states.  The trickiest part is correctly forwarding the ports on the router and/or firewall.  I did it once but it was confusing for me, and when Comcast did a forced router/modem upgrade on me, I really did not feel like doing it again.  You can then password protect it so that only your friends are able to access. Don;t ask me to walk you through it though as I barely did it before and it's just too complicated for me. My daughters are both married to IT techs and frankly they tried to set up their own computers to act as the host, but couldn't manage. Steam forums are full of people who tried and gave up. Yet you will also find people telling you the 6 year old next door managed to set one up just fine and that it is JUST SO EASY. So give it a try, many have succeeded with no problems.  It might well depend on your modem software whether it is easy of complicated. I probably downloaded and used the Wurm Dedicated Server which is a separate download from the server that comes with the game (under TOOLS in Steam Library) , although some say that is only needed if you use a separate computer from the one you play on,  as the server. 

Depends on your system as far as resources. At the time, I had a 10 year old computer with an original Conroe Core 2 Duo E6700, 8800GTX, probably 4G ram, and a regular hard drive not SSD.  This is my personal computer which I ran my client on and we also used as the server. We did not notice any particular lag but use a SMALL map if possible (1024x1024 or 2048x2048 custom maybe).  You won't need a huge map if its just a few of you and bigger maps will just cause problems. Check the subforum for custom small maps if you do not feel up to inventing your own with the map generator tool.

This links in this thread might help:  

Gamester4Life also has a How To video here:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

This is a lot of effort helping a fellow Wurmian. I like this. We need more people like you. Thank you.

• Like 1

Well then i cant add much more then Brash she  really did cover it all!  I can say go for it make yourself happy and the ppl you enjoying playing with