Sign in to follow this  
Mclavin

PVP updates eta? Epic plans? 1 server?

8 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

HUNDREDS!

I mean yea probably. How many people came back to play on epic after chaos was kill? Do you remember how this game looked and played back then?? Now epic is basically kill as well.

"Listen to only us on Chaos, because only 10 people play on Epic"

d54034dd59.png

• Like 3

Just now, Inventor said:

"Listen to only us on Chaos, because only 10 people play on Epic"

d54034dd59.png

I play on epic, I haven't heard any epic players except you not be supportive of a wipe. Friendly reminder even chaos players aren't happy with how pvp is and more would support a wipe of chaos than wouldn't.

I've never picked any side. I just want a proper conversation and not the same 5-6 people making their opinion really loud.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Inventor said:

I've never picked any side. I just want a proper conversation and not the same 5-6 people making their opinion really loud.

My bad, I mean it's kind of difficult to have a proper conversation when the same 5-6 people are the only ones that visit the forum. Unfortunately its endemic to situations like this that a small minority of forum/board/irc/page/twitter/X-Interactivity ends up being the vocal representative of the whole. I know for a fact that the devs have the power to involve the entire pvp playerbase in this conversation via server-wide message blasts. IIRC theyve done it before for polling or getting players involved in a discussion. Even if the result was a resounding "No please we like playing freedom with faster skillgain" at least it'd show they care.

• Like 2

Well here is some food for thought, though it may well be quite bitter.

PvP largely draws from endgame PvE players (or bored midgame PvEers), as the PvP is *seen* as lackluster compared to other "quick fix" PvP games.

Everyone who is likely to reach endgame, has done so already.
Most people who reach midgame, and get bored, quit.

This all boils down to a situation where PvP isn't going to necro unless you reach a certain critical PvE mass again.  No matter how many "fixes" you put in, it just won't work.  Even if the miracle happened, and a set of fixes that makes everyone happy were implemented.

Your thoughts appear to be based on semi-recent trends which is fair enough to base an opinion on , you're on the right track at least.

However, this isn't a PvP nor PvE problem, this is a player influx problem. New players just aren't coming in to either side in the numbers they once have. What ever word of mouth avenues the game has once relied upon, (going back a bit, various linux gaming sites and MMORPG.com) just aren't pulling through anymore. These and new sources need to be heavily reviewed by the dev team and ensure fresh faces are always going to be coming in.

4 hours ago, Inventor said:

It isn't the same 5-6 people tho is it, infact when I get home ill quote everybody in favor for a wipe so the same 4 people can stop repeating "the few" 

Total: 12 Ele: 4 MRh: 0 JKh: 4 BLh: 4

Pretty sure your chart accounts for us players who go to epic to complete cogs in 45 minutes ty to skill system fir achievements. 

Infact if you made achievements cluster bound you'd see a lot less activity, seems impossible right but it's true. 

Edited by Mclavin

I'm against a full Epic wipe/reset. All that does is kick the can down the road, without really solving anything. (And you wipe my Epic accounts, I'm done with the game. I'll be free! :P )

The real first step to unified PvP is splitting Chaos from the Freedom economy. -That- opens up options, the easiest of which is to give Chaos things like the armor rebalance, all the way up to merging it into Epic.

PvP should be separated from Freedom's economy.

most of those accounts on epic are people doing personal goals for freedom

as has been pointed out a hundred times

and then you have a majority of people that are crossovers from each server, ie people from desertion with BL alts there for slayings/missions, and the same people are also on JKH with prem alts doing missions

I dont understand where this absolute denial of epic STILL being dead comes from

Wow, you chaos kids just don't give up. Why not just go play the game instead of trying to delete a server cluster and have less players in wurm overall? 

Absolutely no to deleting Epic. The better option would be to delete Chaos and have PvE and PvPvE completely separate. That way the people on freedom can transfer to PvPvE.

@mclavin Your numbers are way off bro. I have more people than that, interested in epic, in my village alone. They just cant dedicate themselves to play 24/7 like you do. Well, I guess you don't dedicate yourself to the game since you are here so often.

@platinumteef  For the personal goals, most people are using there main characters to get done them on Epic. Only a few people are creating alts to try to get a good set of goals and work with that.

Worst case, let's close this thread. Announce the armor updates for Chaos to the whiners and lets move on with our lives. If you want to save the game then come up with some marketing ideas that can be utilized in a cost effective manner and then suggest it to them. That is the best way to bring more people to Wurm Online.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EpicDude said:

Wow, you chaos kids just don't give up. Why not just go play the game instead of trying to delete a server cluster and have less players in wurm overall? 

Absolutely no to deleting Epic. The better option would be to delete Chaos and have PvE and PvPvE completely separate. That way the people on freedom can transfer to PvPvE.

@mclavin Your numbers are way off bro. I have more people than that, interested in epic, in my village alone. They just cant dedicate themselves to play 24/7 like you do. Well, I guess you don't dedicate yourself to the game since you are here so often.

@platinumteef  For the personal goals, most people are using there main characters to get done them on Epic. Only a few people are creating alts to try to get a good set of goals and work with that.

Worst case, let's close this thread. Announce the armor updates for Chaos to the whiners and lets move on with our lives. If you want to save the game then come up with some marketing ideas that can be utilized in a cost effective manner and then suggest it to them. That is the best way to bring more people to Wurm Online.

I think most people want a fresh pvp experience, which means new serv. Marketing isn't gonna save a stale server where new people only have a chance of not getting rolled because all the top accounts got bored and quit/changed servers. Everyone on chaos right now are for the most part epic refugees who quit after the server died... in fact I think its surprising how pro-wipe the population is considering that the majority of people who really believe in a wipe largely gave up trying years ago..

Not everyone asking for an Epic wipe are Chaos players. In fact, most of them are Epic players that have always played on Epic for years. But I digress.

If CCAB were to wipe Chaos and make Epic THE pvp cluster, I am sure most people would be ecstatic. Epic has better pvp mechanics, a better system, and faster progression. But...

Elevation sucks. It just sucks. Big time. Its a terrible map, and you can see it by looking at how many people play there. The map has an average of 3 players on it at most times of the day and 15 and peak times. Thats bad. If Chaos is to be deleted, then we need Elevation replaced, or you will loose your pvp community entirely.

Enable some sort of skill transfer from Epic to Freedom. Even if its reduced. If its too much of a hassle because of manual edits and calculations, figure out a formula and make people pay for transfers. Make an item in game you buy with silver and use, and it queues up someone in staff to make the manual edits. CCAB gets money, and players get their skill transfer. Those who dont want to pay wont get affected. Just stay on your cluster of choice. 

Disable the freedom to Epic skill transfers and tie it to the game item transfer as well. People will no longer go back and forth, but it allows a way for people to transfer their skills if they change their mind in the future.

Or leave things as they are now. Deleting Epic achieves nothing but remove content we can all choose to participate in. As much as some hate it, the Valrei system is something to do, something to work towards, something to keep players busy. Don't take it away from us just because "Epic is dead."

• Like 3

I hate reading the myth that "Wurm just needs to advertise".

You never see commercials for hydrogen peroxide, yet people use it all the time and know about it. But commercials for it are not going to suddenly cause the Hydrogen Peroxide market to skyrocket. 

Focus on retention first, current players now.

Focus on advertising when you regain your base.

9 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

I hate reading the myth that "Wurm just needs to advertise".

You never see commercials for hydrogen peroxide, yet people use it all the time and know about it. But commercials for it are not going to suddenly cause the Hydrogen Peroxide market to skyrocket. 

Focus on retention first, current players now.

Focus on advertising when you regain your base.

Your example is bad and you should feel bad. They are not even comparable items, not even close.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inventor said:

Your example is bad and you should feel bad. They are not even comparable items, not even close.

So wurm should start spending on advertising? 

Said it once, gonna repeat.

I played World of Warcraft for 10 years.

In this time I have never ever heard about Wurm Online from other players, or from MMO websites/forumboards.

27 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

So wurm should start spending on advertising? 

Yes! As well as showing up in as many free ways as possible. This is business 101...

I can appreciate the merits behind a true grassroots campaign and why they might want to avoid paid advertising, but the size of the playerbase at the moment restricts that massively.

More: At the very least, review the wurmonline.com analytics to see where new people are coming from and strengthen on those at a minimum.

I just think wurm as a product is too niche especially in the grind and requires an easier game mode in terms of grind at the minimum to attract new players. I am not entirely convinced advertising will help, but I would say at least promoting it to some "Top lists" especially in the categories for Sandbox MMO, and Sandbox games would be greatly beneficial. 

2 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Said it once, gonna repeat.

I played World of Warcraft for 10 years.

In this time I have never ever heard about Wurm Online from other players, or from MMO websites/forumboards.

ARE YOU BLIND!!! I have seen wurm mentioned so many fricken times! Over and Over and Over. If you type MMO odds are you arent going to find it, instead you are going to find a tab target grind fest. If you type Free Sandbox MMO WURM IS IN RIGHT THERE, first link (hope you use google). Press the second list, WURM IS RIGHT THERE. So many games out there aren't that fortunate to be in the first 2 links. If you are looking for an mmo sandbox you will find wurm. Obviously they don't like it. Now all they need to do is pop 2 silver off the ground and get some premium to get the skill to ride a cart/horse and load cargo forever. After that month, pop 10 silver or pay real money. Can you take a guess what the issue is?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

ARE YOU BLIND!!! I have seen wurm mentioned so many fricken times! Over and Over and Over. If you type MMO odds are you arent going to find it, instead you are going to find a tab target grind fest. If you type Free Sandbox MMO WURM IS IN RIGHT THERE, first link (hope you use google). Press the second list, WURM IS RIGHT THERE. So many games out there aren't that fortunate to be in the first 2 links. If you are looking for an mmo sandbox you will find wurm. Obviously they don't like it. Now all they need to do is pop 2 silver off the ground and get some premium to get the skill to ride a cart/horse and load cargo forever. After that month, pop 10 silver or pay real money. Can you take a guess what the issue is?

Fortnite has actually made me rethink the entire idea of paying monthly for games. PUBG was the king of battle royale, but it costs 30 dollars. Put Fortnite into the mix with its F2P and cosmetics and it instantly overtook the market. 

47 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Fortnite has actually made me rethink the entire idea of paying monthly for games. PUBG was the king of battle royale, but it costs 30 dollars. Put Fortnite into the mix with its F2P and cosmetics and it instantly overtook the market. 

I'd love if Wurm was f2p entirely, would certainly attract a lot more players (if we ignore the grief fest possible by this and all the crying from alts in pvp) but even then, this style game isn't going to ever have the popularity a battle royale game will have so it would never survive financially.  However it wouldn't be awful perhaps if it was more of an overall account payment, such as pay the current prem for 5 accounts, and a smaller fee to add on 5 more or something, just some kinda limit so there isnt 5000 "prem" alts in pvp or griefing.  Then have a cash shop as suggested for cosmetic only items.  Fancy clothing, fancy masks, uniquely skinned furniture, cash shop only decorative items, stuff that has no "physical" impact on the game and just visual.  But now that people won't need to spend as much silver into premming accounts/alts, allow both silver and rl currency to buy cash shop items, this way its not entirely locked away and people still gain the ability to earn money in game to benefit their playing more, but perhaps the super fancy stuff can be rl currency only.

8 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I'd love if Wurm was f2p entirely.

same, those who spend money willy-nilly could buy plenty of cosmetics and those who spend very little or nothing still contribute by being a part of the wurm population and community. I miss all the people I met in a village on xanadu :(, very fun people.