Sign in to follow this  
Mclavin

PVP updates eta? Epic plans? 1 server?

Epic armour changes on Freedom would only help new players and make them less likely to die to the first mob they find. It makes all armour types more viable which would mean more people buying different armours types? Boosting the economy maybe? idk man I don't see an issue apart from it maybe lowering the price of the ridiculously expensive unique armour types of which I have 2 sets. I honestly wouldn't care if they became worthless if there was a meaningful update to the different armours that would lower the barrier to entry for pvp content on chaos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mordraug said:

You should be on your knees thanking the devs for even bothering with the PvP community at this point =P 

You know, I might not agree with all the saber rattling going on in here, but you have just posted the dumbest thing I have ever read. So quick to forget it was us pvpers who paid to have your little safespace sandboxes built.

Be humble. Sit down.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mclavin said:

I don't really know why I made this thread expecting anything.

Oh I remember why.

I read a thread called "Animal Crates ETA???" and devs jump in to give them an update on a feature that they aren't even near to finishing.
But lord behold if the PVP community who suffer and pay prem and just constantly ask for a ETA/Clear plan, it's sketch and nothing is provided.

If you don't want to talk big changes, just don't talk. 

Waiting 3 months to hear "no" for epic-armor Balance is just lame.
market? If it was chaos only and not put to freedom, you'd see a influx of purchases of different armor types and a rebirth of services. PVPERS are lazy. 
If you made it server wide, then everybody would benefit and they would also see a influx of trade of certain armors. 
You claim you're not about the market, you don't care if an update hurts prices, but with the response you clear do.
explain why freedom can't have armor changes??

You have no reason to deny chaos the Armor Balance or do something with chaos to allow it the change when you're literally bending the very fabrics of Wurm Online Server Crossing to get a Dumb horse from point a to b. 

PLS

The difference is that the developers -announced- the Animal Crates change. As far as I've seen, they've announced nothing regarding armor balance on Freedom (or any other major PvP changes); you're just demanding it.

I have no issues with Epic armor changes going to Freedom, mind you, but trashing the developers for not doing what you want is lame.

If you honestly want my true opinion, while I like pvp and have always been a pvper. I would not spend any time on developing Chaos or Epic, or I would put way less staff on it. The player bases honestly do not constitute enough of a demand to get sole updates to them. The overall population of the game is shrinking, focusing on the deadest of the servers is not worth the time.

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

As for the armour changes, the great thing about Epic is we can really change things up, and impact which armours are widely used without affecting others such as freedom, Chaos doesn't have that luxury, and thus things have to be balanced across both, which is what leads to issues such as both sides feeling a split is necessary. We explained this when the armour changes went live, and have stated this several times. There may be pieces we can carry across, but most of those changes are on epic because they don't impact freedom.

Quick question. Why can't Chaos have different armour settings than the Freedom clusters? Sure the gear can transfer, but that doesn't mean they can't function differently on each server.

Edited by Sindusk

2 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Quick question. Why can't Chaos have different armour settings than the Freedom clusters? Sure the gear can transfer, but that doesn't mean they can't function differently on each server.

shoulder pads already only work on freedom and are just for looks on Chaos, so there is absolutely no reason as to why it should not be able to be like that with armors . 

1 minute ago, Gladiator said:

shoulder pads already only work on freedom and are just for looks on Chaos, so there is absolutely no reason as to why it should not be able to be like that with armors . 

Why are shoulder pads only for looks on PvP servers?

Honestly, and this one is going to be unpopular with the vocal population, but it seems to be murmered a lot among folks who just play the game...

Split the code between chaos and freedom; we don't want their nerfs, they don't want our QoL.  That way, the rest of freedom can have all the nice things without the cries of "PvP balance", and PvP can have it's balance without PvE folks screaming "but lack of QoL kills player population".

While you're at it, remove player god priests, they're just broken and destroyed the game for priest players.

Everyone wins, yes it slows down development of new features, but it means that when a feature is added the community is likely to react to it in a more positive light.

you know when the code has things like "if (Servers.localServer.PVPSERVER)" and "isOnPvPServer()"

someone explain why armor changes can't go to chaos without affecting freedom, while STILL having "(Servers.localServer.isChallengeOrEpicServer())" to keep epic balances separate yet

24 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Everyone wins, yes it slows down development of new features, but it means that when a feature is added the community is likely to react to it in a more positive light.

I'm going to contest that a little bit. Here's literally the one change necessary to make it so armour DR from Epic transfers to Chaos as well, without affecting freedom:

public static float getArmourBaseDR(int armourType) {
        if (armourType < 0) {
            return 0.0f;
        }
        if (Servers.localServer.isChallengeOrEpicServer() || Servers.localServer.isChaosServer()) {
            if (armourType >= ARMOUR_BASEDR_EPIC.length) {
                return 0.0f;
            }
            return ARMOUR_BASEDR_EPIC[armourType];
        }
        if (armourType >= ARMOUR_BASEDR.length) {
            return 0.0f;
        }
        return ARMOUR_BASEDR[armourType];
    }

Apply that to a few other parts in the code and it actually wouldn't take more than a few hours to make all the changes Chaos players want without affecting Freedom.

• Like 4

Can we have that backdated for the heal and LoF changes please?  ^_^

7 hours ago, platinumteef said:

so is this a definite no to armor balances on chaos just because it might affect some dude without a real income attempting to sell armor in a game to pay for his childs diapers?

just let me know so i can cash out and quit now. Epic is beyond repair (or at least beyond what the devs are willing to do to it) and im tired of being on Chaos watching people not want to go 1 hop from their deed because the gear required to pvp costs 90euro minimum

make chain armor better then i go far then 20 tiles from mine hope

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hawkinson said:

make chain armor better then i go far then 20 tiles from mine hope

precisely, the epic armor changes do just that, and im advocating it 100%

I don't think its right for people who can't afford drake to not be able to pvp properly

• Like 4

I do not understand how can the armor changes possibly affect Freedom in a negative way. Isnt it a buff to currently existing armors, making them more viable? The change would help chain/leather crafters actually have a more viable market again. Whats the big deal?

That change is only good for everyone.

• Like 2

Just now, Angelklaine said:

I do not understand how can the armor changes possibly affect Freedom in a negative way. Isnt it a buff to currently existing armors, making them more viable? The change would help chain/leather crafters actually have a more viable market again. Whats the big deal?

That change is only good for everyone.

It "devalues" drake & dragonscale, meaning players who purchased it with real money would lose out on some of that investment by making it weaker. I don't know for sure if that's correct, but it's what I'd be thinking from a developer standpoint.

• Like 1

People who buy drake for PVE on freedom = crazy. You buy for cosmetics. You can run around naked with a helmet and a LT weapon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

People who buy drake for PVE on freedom = crazy. You buy for cosmetics. You can run around naked with a helmet and a LT weapon

An alternative perspective might be someone buying drake on PvE with the intention of skilling up a bit then moving to Chaos with it.

Again, I'm doing my best to play devils advocate here, but in reality I see way more upsides to broadcasting the Epic armour changes to other servers.

If the dev team does walk the road Sindusk proposes, they must feel as though the sale of dragon armor to Chaos is within significant quantities to make development choices based on that factor. One would have to pour over the WTB/WTS/Auction topics to gather how many sets are sold, and to whom. 

I currently do not know these statistics, but I may check.

TC don't buy scale, we don't sell it either. We get it from loot or Dragons, 95% of the time, dragons. 

It's superior to all the other armors even after the change just not stupidly OP as it is now. 

It'd be nice if we could stop speculating about the balance concerns they have and instead they just told us or gave us an example of a scenario where this is detrimental...

9 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

It'd be nice if we could stop speculating about the balance concerns they have and instead they just told us or gave us an example of a scenario where this is detrimental...

It isnt. You can run around on freedom on a horse wearing plate and it will be just as effective as drake, so people buy it for cosmetics/prestige. In fact, one can argue seryl is more effective than drake, and has the added bonus of not shattering. So even if the changes came to freedom, it would be a good thing. I know I'd sell my drake and put all my characters on steel chain.

Seriously what is the point of seperating sometbing like armor changes gor chaos only... Freedomers and devs alike need to WAKE up... That lovely value some are afraid will drop is ONLY due to the fact PVPers tend to drop some big stacks of cash that raised the prices of such armor to begin with.   Armor balance so that all armor types are viable would overall even benefit freedom because newbs wont get chased down and killed by rosters because their leather armour couldnt offer them sufficient protection. 

Balance the armor. Yes value will be affected for some armor types but it can be a good thing for economy. 

Ofc, TC have to push for this kind of update because the skill gap of the players is so wide, that nowadays players, they simply can't fathom how to take down drake in plate. 
Even tho my group did it. Living example if you may.

So I've kinda bent the knee and accepeted groups like VD and Panda just need mechanics to help them now. 'Balances' that many fought against for years and overcame, just have to be put in before they go extinct or something.
it's a different generation.

The second 'strongest' kingdom VD basically rely on this update because we just can't rely on people to close the skill gap with a thought process anymore, we have to use mechanics.

Just waiting for the next wave of people to say how TC seek to remain behind characters/armours when I'm pretty sure we're the voice behind most Balances in game.

Proph literally made a thread to help people comprehend basics and replied in a "getting raided thread" to give them tips against how to defend vs his own kingdom.
Maybe read up on that and post your questions too, cause mechanics/balances only go so far.

watch this space

Edited by Mclavin

Armor change chaos only.. if your work load is to high. ask  there are alot of people that can do code even better then the people that are know.   let someone do it to a unlimited sever copy there code fix the few lines becuz the stuff is a little dif and run with it its a flag for sever is armor change on/off...

Your route prob you a stuck on one path. take them all and see what works and don't , remove the bad . leave the good.

• Like 1