Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Xanadu map generation secrets EXPOSED

As most of us know, Xanadu was supposedly created using a random map generation technique not previously used on other Wurm servers.

While the merits and results of this approach are debatable, it's important that we predicate any debate on valid premises and acquire as much knowledge about the topic as is reasonably possible. For example, were the Wurm Online developers entirely truthful about this? Could such a sprawling, diverse, interestingly detailed landmass have arisen simply from random heightmap generation? We need, and deserve, to know more.

To that end, through painstaking analysis of the map dumps released in December 2017, I believe I have determined the exact methodology used to produce the Xanadu terrain heightmap.

Due to image-heavy content, the rest of this post is behind a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Xanadu isometric map dump:

sv9ySxO.jpg

Delicious, buttery english muffins:

8726698779_cf19773e52_b.jpgEnglish-Muffins-1024x685.jpg

It is abundantly clear, through my research, that Xanadu was generated by using modern imaging technology to record a three-dimensional scan of the surface of an English muffin that was sitting on Rolf's desk at the time.

Newspring's smaller-scale features are more difficult to explain, but it's possible this is where that last bit was when he cut through the muffin. You know, that part where the two halves are more attached than the rest is? Yeah, that.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 25

This is the best post I have seen all day. 

• Like 2

As an expert on English muffins i must correct you, that is in fact, a scone that has been scanned and Newspring is clearly the dollop of jam that always falls off
I submit image A as evidence

Spoiler

recipes-englishscones-superJumbo.jpg

• Like 2

I'm gonna have to classify this with the "Wurm is like brussel sprouts" quote....

You got us, congratulations. Zero secrets allowed these days, ech! :P

Moved to Wood Scraps. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Moved to Wood Scraps. :)

Why would you do such a thing!?

9 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Why would you do such a thing!?

:ph34r:

It's funny coincidence that literally as I noticed this thread I was working on this:

vsMzlq1.jpg

Note: that's not a Wurm stuff, I'm still studying and that's a screen from WIP terrain generator I'm creating for one of end-of-semester projects.

Terrain generators are fun, three extra screenshots from the same generator yesterday in spoiler below:

Spoiler

9k35vSu.png

gvJLG3N.jpg

ZgQRr1m.jpg

• Like 4

Wy8NT.jpg

Wurm maps in DF, anyone up to challenge? If map above is possible, Wurm maps should be too. :)

Whoa, how'd you manage those curvy mountain ranges and those really broad river-looking things?

I feel like doing a rohrschach test viewing those last two images. o.ò

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yldrania said:

This is the best post I have seen all day. 

Naw, it's a crumby post. Can't you see them scattered all throughout the watery areas?

=Ayes=

p.s. I aint jellyious either...

Edited by Ayes
sillyness
  • Like 3

well Ayes I think you are just mad as a butter... or is that nutter.. or is that peanut butter.. yeah yeah I ruined it..

On 5/16/2018 at 8:45 PM, Warlander said:

:ph34r:

It's funny coincidence that literally as I noticed this thread I was working on this:

vsMzlq1.jpg

Note: that's not a Wurm stuff, I'm still studying and that's a screen from WIP terrain generator I'm creating for one of end-of-semester projects.

Terrain generators are fun, three extra screenshots from the same generator yesterday in spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

9k35vSu.png

gvJLG3N.jpg

ZgQRr1m.jpg

Hunting server confirmed!