Sign in to follow this  
Gorefiend

In-game mails

The idea in itself is very simple: to be able to send messages with birds. just like it supposed to be in "medieval ages".

If you want to be able to send a message to your friend, you will have to:

1. Tame an appropriate bird /* dove for a "light" side, or "raven" for a "black" side */
2. Build and appropriate cage to settle it down /* QL of cage affects the delivery speed */
3. Train it /* the bird must be trained within the deed, where you'd like to be able to send a messages. birds cannot fly to the deed, where they never have been - "no route to host" (c) */
4. Create ink, papyrus, bla-bla-bla. quality of ink and papirus should somehow affect the max possible length of the message.
5. Create a message on papyrus, link it to the bird (with a string of cloth, i suppose?), sent it to fly.

Some lyrics will follow. 

Current system, of spirits, allows the same. you can write a message on papyrus and sent it. But, basically, this is weird. I would like to suggest to separate those two things: delivering of goods (by CoD or whatever, basically this does not require any additional messaging), and a possibility just to drop few words to your friend. Even when the're offline. 

Spirits will still remain an only way for goods delivery (a bird cannot deliver a Egyptian Pyramids). But if you would like to send a message - tamed birds is the only way.

This idea is very raw, and, for sure, needs a rough discussion. But, it opens a sea of possibilities:

- to train a raven you will need a high QL leather gloves
- to train a dove you will need a high QL wheet
- ravens die when become untamed 
- doves die when out of food

and so on, so on, so on. both are really exciting creatures, and here can be a really nice roleplay. ravens are predators, doves are a symbol of peace, black & white, dark & light, and so on. Your deity may bless you, if you're using "her's" birds. But if a "light" guy is using "black" ravens, "black" gods may grant him sort of damage absorbtion from "black" spells. so, speaking roughfly, you can use birds of your deity to increase your spells, or use a birds from an opposite deity to weaken his spells. that's just for ex. it could be very interesting, imho. a lot of possibilities, and very interesting way for further development. Well.

I have a lot of minds regarding this, but for now - i want just to share (and discuss) an idea, of alternative "mail-system", bird's system. for messaging. good's delivery - still up for spirits, as it is. An email to offline friend - for tamed birds.

Actually, me, personally, like an idea of taming birds. flying birds. Imagine a parrot, who is sitting on your shoulder. And mumbling randomly swear words regarding "CA-HELP" ("those guys will teach me, how to incubate the eggs, hah!"). But this is a a very future, which can come from an idea of taming birds. for now, this can be a very first steps - taming birds just for delivering the messages.

Thank you for your time, and don't hesitate to share your minds about it.

Thank you. would you like to explain? for me it ill be much more interesting, then simple "no".

• Like 1

There's not much point to be fair. I mean you can write a papyrus message and CoD it  But alternatively u can just message the guy when he's online... Or play with an actual community and not a fake one, and message your friend on discord. Its not that ur idea is bad, its not bad, its interesting actually, but its just not needed :)

Gladiator, yup. it's not needed. from first point - it's an idea for fun. 

Is anybody here for some other reasons? 

yup, i would like to send message to my friends with birds. for that sort of pleasure - me, personally - will agree to catch them, tame them, build them a cage, and et cetera. i mean birds, not the friends.

from another point, let's say - strategical point - the idea of birds, which can be tamed - it's just amazing. i want a parrot, who i will be able to teach bad words. why not to dream? :)

wouldn't work as courier pigeons would not know how to cross a server

+1 to new tamable birds. We already have birdcages so why not. 

+1 to trainable animals. We have dogs, why not let them guard the deed or things like that, and let birds deliver messages? It would be a fun feature and this is, after all, a game. 

The only part I disagree with is the death upon running out of food / becoming untamed. That would basically mean no animal can be wild, and it means that you can't grind taming anymore or go inactive for even a few days in case of doves. Deaths should just be like for any other animal - with age. 

Seems like a way to take an existing system and make it more complicated for no beneficial reasons.

Certain aspects of your suggestion would be good for aesthetics ( like new birds and taming them as pets, after all we do have bird cages but no choice of what bird) but the proposed method seems like it will cause more issues than we would benefit... how would you message across servers? what happens to the message if the bird dies mid flight? would the birds be visibly moving across the map like wagoners or invisible like mailing imps?

Overall it sounds like it'd be fun for roleplaying but the practicality of it is, it isn't needed

• Like 1