Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Animal Crates ETA?

What's the latest on the Animal Crates?  I can't move to another server and leave my beloved horses behind!

• Like 2

Wait for it... 

waaaaaait.... 

Soon

• Like 4

its waiting on code that allows you to travel between servers to be re-done.

11 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

its waiting on code that allows you to travel between servers to be re-done.

Likely this, I assume they have to work the code in as well for the animals to keep traits/names.

It seems to me it should be quite easy to do, especially since it has already been done on WU.  I am sure the devs are allowed to use code developed by the community.  If not, they should have that right.

Looking forward to this feature for sure!

2 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

It seems to me it should be quite easy to do, especially since it has already been done on WU.

The mods do things like not save any parent info across server and make them immortal so "cared for" being lost doesn't instantly kill them when they cross server, installing a mod that you can just remove if needed and putting in a permanent feature that you have to work around whenever you want to put in new features are 2 completely different things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

The mods do things like not save any parent info across server and make them immortal so "cared for" being lost doesn't instantly kill them when they cross server, installing a mod that you can just remove if needed and putting in a permanent feature that you have to work around whenever you want to put in new features are 2 completely different things.

That. :) 

12 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

It seems to me it should be quite easy to do, especially since it has already been done on WU.  I am sure the devs are allowed to use code developed by the community.  If not, they should have that right.

Looking forward to this feature for sure!

I'm anticipating this feature more than anything so I can finally start buying champs from servers that have champ breeders, but one thing to remember when it comes to WU vs WO is that some things are really quite easy to implement as a mod in WU but implementing them for WO where everyone expects 100% bug-free transitions of every little bit of info on every animal is something completely different. Lots of things have been made possible in WU that are impossible to implement as easily in WO for a lot of reasons. Something being available there does not indicate that it's easy to do. ;) 

52 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

That's not true, the mod doesn't make them immortal in any way  and parent ids are saved for inbreeding checks (tho the name won't appear on examine if it's on another server, same as when parents die in vanilla)

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

WO where everyone expects 100% bug-free

Hahaha good one.

• Like 2

According to staff, animal crates have necessitated changes in how server transfers work, which has drastically increased development time for the feature.

2 hours ago, Yldrania said:

but implementing them for WO where everyone expects 100% bug-free transitions of every little bit of info on every animal is something completely different. 

Because we are all used to 100% bug free implementations.

I've said it before. Animal cages are the new bridges. We can expect the feature released circa 2022. There are still things that need dyes, you know.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Because we are all used to 100% bug free implementations.

Sure, there are bugs but the dev team is doing their best to implement things with the least amount of bugs possible and to fix those that occur as quickly as possible.

12 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I've said it before. Animal cages are the new bridges. We can expect the feature released circa 2022. There are still things that need dyes, you know.

I doubt animal cages were announced just to be postponed afterwards. What @Ostentatiohas just said is 100% correct. Implementation was supposed to happen very soon after the announcement, but issues were encountered and release delayed until these are fixed. Unfortunately things like this do happen, and things don't always go as planned. 

Despite the long wait, I'm sure it will be well worth it when they do release the crates :) 

6 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

Sure, there are bugs but the dev team is doing their best to implement things with the least amount of bugs possible and to fix those that occur as quickly as possible.

I doubt animal cages were announced just to be postponed afterwards. What @Ostentatiohas just said is 100% correct. Implementation was supposed to happen very soon after the announcement, but issues were encountered and release delayed until these are fixed. Unfortunately things like this do happen, and things don't always go as planned. 

Despite the long wait, I'm sure it will be well worth it when they do release the crates :) 

I am not saying that changes arent needed, only that it is pretty frustrsting when the player base is hyped over a feature and then left hanging. On this day and age, mmos are plentiful and it has become the norm to expect half finished products and poor development.

We all know and understand the hardships our development team face due to the million different issues we all know about. As such we are a very patient player base. But you can't forget the fact that we are paying customers.

If you ask a contractor to put up a drywall, and you pay them, and a day later he tells you he wont be able to finish it because his kid got sick that he'll be back a year from now leaving you with a half finished product, won't you be upset?

There is only so much you can expect your playerbase to put up with, and at the very least you have to accept the fact that some people will be annoyed when promised features take a very long time to be implemented after being announced.

• Like 1

The contractor analogy is rather poor. None of us directly commissioned the developers to produce this feature; they announced it as an upcoming feature. That's all. They never promised a release date.

Currently, we all have exactly the same thing as if they had never announced it in the first place. This is less "I paid for a candy bar but they won't give it to me yet" and more "the store on my block said they'd start stocking candy bars, but it's a month later and I don't see any".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

Currently, we all have exactly the same thing as if they had never announced it in the first place. This is less "I paid for a candy bar but they won't give it to me yet" and more "the store on my block said they'd start stocking candy bars, but it's a month later and I don't see any".

Expectation management. :) I suspect this kind of reaction contributes to the developers' tendency to err on the side of not releasing information.

• Like 1

Yep. Of course, then they get mad about a lack of information instead.

• Like 1

How many years was it for bridges to be implemented from the date it was announced?

The biggest hurdle with them is the way server transfers were handled. This could lead to easily lost creatures upon crossing, brandings and permissions and items being lost too. 

Due to this, and realising it was a bigger scope problem than initially thought, we had to take the time to rewrite a lot, ensuring it kept all the information necessary and didnt cause undue losses. The mistake was announcing it prior to the scope of this bug being discovered.

it sucks, and we'd love them out now, but the simple fact is right now they'd be more likely to kill or delete your horses than return them.

this is why we haven't shared much about them or an ETA, they are under development, but until we have further information they'll stay behind the scenes, we want to be able to share meaningful news on them and provide deliverable timeframes, so we're not going to be talking about them every news and showing pictures of crates every few weeks. 

There are many projects underway, and some we share that have begun, others we keep quiet about until it's ready for reveal. The news won't always be "here's whats coming next patch" so some things will take longer than others. This isnt a case of not delivering on a promise or any such thing, this is an in development project taking longer than anticipated. 

The wurm unlimited mod works quite differently to this, and does not have the same robust capabilities as the WO system will have, so it's not a case of "WU has already done it, why is it taking WO so long?"

Tl;DR

Ongoing project, we'll share info when it nears testing and release. 

• Like 5

@Angelklaine

Going to call you out here man. You pay for premium access to Wurm Online. You benefit from on-going updates. You do not contract us directly for any specific updates. We did announce immediately when the scope became more than we could do at the time. If you had subscribed in anticipation, then you were duly informed and could have made the choice to unsubscribe.

That's the truth of it. Please don't try to stretch it out into anything more.

Retro handled the rest.

• Like 3

Retro and Keenan, thank you for your communication to Wurm.  You both have always been forthcoming with any updates and/or bugs. Keep up the good work.

This is such an important update with potential emotional consequences for players and their beloved pets - so I am glad that the dev team is taking the extra time and effort to get it right.

Just now, Muse said:

This is such an important update with potential emotional consequences for players and their beloved pets - so I am glad that the dev team is taking the extra time and effort to get it right.

Seeing as people became crates in testing, we think it's important as well. Alternatively we could just make crate-people flammable and setting fire to one will happily fix the bug for them. I was told this wasn't a viable solution though.

And no, you can't take any of this seriously.

• Like 6

MDvAlmH.jpg

Can't expect much from Wurm code when even some players are bugs.......... 

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

@Angelklaine

Going to call you out here man. You pay for premium access to Wurm Online. You benefit from on-going updates. You do not contract us directly for any specific updates. We did announce immediately when the scope became more than we could do at the time. If you had subscribed in anticipation, then you were duly informed and could have made the choice to unsubscribe.

That's the truth of it. Please don't try to stretch it out into anything more.

Retro handled the rest.

Show me where I said I contracted you. I never said I did. Those are your words, not mine. The only thing I said was that we as players and paying customers are allowed to be dissatisfied with the content provided. The fact that we pay a premium does give us the right to expect a quality product.

I also mentioned that I understand that staff has had their issues. This includes the problems you faced when developing the animal cages, and that is sad and of course we are all human. But I think its a little unfair for Wurm staff to expect players are always understanding of everything that happens. Development in Wurm is slow in comparison with other mmos, up to the point that game breaking bugs continue to exist, even after them having been reported.

Now don't take this as dev bashing or anything like that. That's not my intention. I personally think that Wurm staff has done a great job with their individual positions, and I am not trying to point fingers at anyone. But when a feature is announced, I get hopeful, and then I get dissapointed when it doesn't happen. This creates frustration, and I think its fair I let you know about it.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work guys. Looking forward to taking my animals with me when I move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

MDvAlmH.jpg

Can't expect much from Wurm code when even some players are bugs.......... 

That's a fat bee, sir. Show some respect for the fat bee. ;)