Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

No-Use Inventory Group

After recently using enchanted materials to build fences, by accident, I was looking for a way to keep it in my inventory so it wouldn't decay but also not have it be used automatically for an action. 

For instance, I used a rare shaft to build a fence even though there were plenty of non-rares in my inventory. I also used a rare clay to build a wall just because I didn't have a way to store it, and I don't have the time to run back and forth to drop everything and pick it back up. It would be nice to have one group in the inventory with no special functions except that anything that's inside of it won't be used automatically for actions. 

• Like 6

+1

Can't count how many times I've wanted something like this. 

I am not opposed to the idea, however I do like to find the easier solution.

Is there inherently something wrong with just dropping the shaft on the ground?

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 1

+1

Have a big fear of this myself so I like to run an alt over to pick this type of stuff up ASAP lol 

You can create sub-groups and rename them within your inventory to organize everything.  Open your inventory and "right click" the name "inventory" and can then chose "Add group".

I have:

+Tools2-Imp

+Tools1

+Rares

+Horse

+Healing

+Combat-Armor

rest of inventory stuff

Edited by nicedreams

2 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

I am not opposed to the idea, however I do like to find the easier solution.

Nothing wrong with it, but if you store a shaft for some time in your inventory, perhaps carrying it over more than one game session, you may forget about it and accidentally build a fence with it the next time you logged in. Not that I ever had that problem, I use my rares immediately and don't build as many fences, but this is something where I can see the no-use group being superior/more convenient.

I agree with your sentiment that the idea is a bit "thin", though. What if the group had even more restrictive properties, so that items are cannot be directly used and dropped from it at all and must be moved to "normal" inventory space first. Those items would also be safe from a) accidentally sacrificing them in an altar and b) fueling them to forges, and perhaps other hickups.

All of which I fully admit are both far better avoidable with common inventory groups already than AJ's case, but I think this would add some more purpose to this groups basic idea of "safe storage", and perhaps give it a more universal appeal.

8 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

No, and that's what I've been doing as well. But then as a player who doesn't have that much time to play, you may forget about it and it decays so same result as using it.

7 hours ago, nicedreams said:

You can create sub-groups and rename them within your inventory to organize everything. 

Yes, I do that. But no matter how many groups you have, or where you store stuff (for example in your backpack), if you're building something and you hit continue with the mats in your inventory, they will be used. That's what I want to prevent, and since we have this grouping system I figure it might be a good idea to have it. 

5 hours ago, Flubb said:

I agree with your sentiment that the idea is a bit "thin", though. What if the group had even more restrictive properties, so that items are cannot be directly used and dropped from it at all and must be moved to "normal" inventory space first. Those items would also be safe from a) accidentally sacrificing them in an altar and b) fueling them to forges, and perhaps other hickups.

Yes, there should be restrictions for sure. You shouldn't be able to do anything with the item in this group other than drag it back out if you want to use it, but it would help avoid accidental usage of stuff.

+1.

a subgroup in inventory could have a small option to be a no use group. would be discreet and save many headackes and heartackes to those of us who already got too many things to think on... lets face it when focused on building a new house or fences, we dont have time to think of too many other things and that's when those mats get used up :( 

• Like 1

Just used another rare mat yesterday for building.... need this xD 

I doubt this would be easy to code, but will plus one, cause so many rare planks and shafts have died in fence production over the years.

+1