Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

[Epic] Circumnavigation

So, I dunno if this is a good idea or not, but I figured why not throw it in the blender. :)

Right now, the only sea borders on the Epic home islands that go anywhere are those adjacent to Elevation. Was wondering, however, about the following, based on the geography of Epic:

- Link the east sea border of Serenity to the west sea border of Desertion;

- Link the south sea border of Affliction to the north sea border of Elevation;

- Link the north-south sea borders of Serenity to one another;

- Link the north-south sea borders of Desertion to one another;

- Link the east-west sea borders of Affliction to one another.

That would make the Epic cluster "smaller", without changing any maps. Getting places, whether to do missions, raid, or respond to raids, would be significantly easier, which would mean more PvP potential.

I also wonder about increasing the base speed for all shipping, so the relations between ship types would stay as they are now, but everything would just be faster.

It sounds like a limited version of plot course. The server division and distance between each other is a means of defense vs raiding. People going from one home server to another need to cross first elevation and then the home servers to get anywhere. If you allow the homeservers to link one another you are creating safe zones for raiders to retreat back to. This is a bad thing. Imagine a team of MR sailing to JK and raiding a deed, then just sailing to the border when enemies pop local. 

All sailing should go through elevation on the epic cluster. If you go from one hs to another, risk going through the no debuff zone to get there, giving defenders a chance to catch you on even ground.

As for the same server hopping, this doesn't even exist on Freedom so no. Portals, especially on pvp servers should never be a thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

It sounds like a limited version of plot course. The server division and distance between each other is a means of defense vs raiding. People going from one home server to another need to cross first elevation and then the home servers to get anywhere. If you allow the homeservers to link one another you are creating safe zones for raiders to retreat back to. This is a bad thing. Imagine a team of MR sailing to JK and raiding a deed, then just sailing to the border when enemies pop local. 

All sailing should go through elevation on the epic cluster. If you go from one hs to another, risk going through the no debuff zone to get there, giving defenders a chance to catch you on even ground.

Ah well, sounds like a good reason. :(

I still think we should at least consider giving Epic faster boats. We have faster timers, why not boats? :P

6 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Ah well, sounds like a good reason. :(

I still think we should at least consider giving Epic faster boats. We have faster timers, why not boats? :P

Because boat PVP is already really bad. Unlike land PVP there is no way for you to slow down a boat, you can't kill it like you can kill a horse, and you don't slow it down by "hitting his legs" . Considering you can go 27-29km/h on a gale with 5 guys on a sailboat, and considering the fact that the game is really laggy, boat PVP is already such a big hassle . Make the boat go 50km/h you'll never see boat PVP in your life, and people will just plant boats everywhere and get away with them, which they already do but at least its slower and can be countered

I think the map is already too small in terms of how easy it is to travel between places.

46 minutes ago, John said:

I think the map is already too small in terms of how easy it is to travel between places.

Player participation is inversely proportional to travel times. The more travel time required to accomplish a task, the fewer people will have time to do it.

This may be good from a raid defense perspective, but I'd rather decrease travel times, and balance home server protection some other way.