Sign in to follow this  
Ekib

starter town portal network

someone said portal? quick quick downvote, bash away. nonono.

ok joke aside how about listening to the idea this time?

my idea's to link up the epic portals of starters towns: those HFWE3ro.jpg ones, NOT the small ones we can build. those should only be for epic and nothing else.

so as i was saying. why not link them big portals up? we can go to epic from those so a shorter hop shouldnt be too hard right?

-they would obviously be some strong restrictions such as needing to travel to the portal first to atune with it to be able to travel there later. ( this point is approved by your local tourism office!)

-unable to take an animal with you (lead or riden), or cart. just what's in your pockets. it could be limited to 100% speed only. if not your pockets are too heavy to let you go thru?

-chaos would NOT be able to be entered this way (just way too many ways to abuse it for reinforcements, sorry guys) but could be used to exit the area (given some limitation, like no combat with an other player for an hour perhaps?) leaving new people who wandered there able to leave without needing a boat each time. (random tp out if not atuned with any other portal, if atuned can only get to the ones you unlocked)

-travel would have a cooldown, like 15, 30 minutes or an hour.

-cost karma or favor. (so would give a use to it even to non priests?) new people under a day's playtime can travel free once to an other random portal (so if they dont like the area can try elsewhere)

so now as many will ask: why? we can travel and use a boat, cart or wagon. well....not everyone have those, espetialy new people.

have you ever had wished to travel visit a friend, see their deed and how its grown (or even help out a bit?) but couldnt waste several hours on the travel (sadly some people got busy RL or their computer dont like it very much) or perhaps someone called for help but...oh yea... they are on the other side of xanadu or an other server... ever felt frustrated you wished you could go but by the time you made it, would be all over? or wished to go into a rift, but the travel there is just way too long and could be shortened, on the risk and time scales?

so here's this vastly unpopular idea: traveling back to a starter town, parking your horse or cart if you have one, and hopping in the portal to get out the other side. think of it as plotting course when traveling between server. it doesnt stop the travel, but helps ease it and fasten it up.

• Like 2

its not rocket science to build your own rowboat or ask for help in building one

• Like 2

I don't think people should be able to make a 2 hour drive/sail instant.

Of course not. Can't have that. 2 hour sail?  No big deal right?  And then people sit around wondering why Wurm is stagnating, losing existing players to WU, and doesn't appeal to new players.  lol.    Some people only have an hour or two to play at a time.

+1 the OP

• Like 4

This would be nice for newbies at least. They never seem to coordinate with their friends and end up all over the place. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Of course not. Can't have that. 2 hour sail?  No big deal right?  And then people sit around wondering why Wurm is stagnating, losing existing players to WU, and doesn't appeal to new players.  lol.    Some people only have an hour or two to play at a time.

+1 the OP

We lose existing players to WU because WU costs 30 cents.  Nice try though.

2 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

We lose existing players to WU because WU costs 30 cents.  Nice try though.

You really believe that?   Well I, for one, play WU because I can play Wurm there without being bogged down in tar, taking all day to do anything or go anywhere,  and for all the fun things on the WU servers that WO is too uptight and stuck in the past to implement, as do many other people.  And...I paid full price for it, as have many others. From the people I talk to, I'm not unusual in this.   Nice try though.

• Like 3

We loose new wurm players before they even make it to the portal in golden valley, that is the entire failings of wurm and new player retention.

Portal to all starter towns freely, we can already portal from elevation to home servers via starter town portals.  Increase server traveling, tourism, hunting vacations, larger group events, etc

No new player in 2018 wants to join up to wurm pay a monthly sub and waste their time spending 5 hours sailing just to enjoy a public slaying or more than one rift per 9 days or when their servers rift is at a bad time.  People would still need to sail for picking up/delivering purchased goods, or traveling with large/bulk items, or traveling with animals once we get animal crates.  There is no reason to not add variety and make the game more fun to play

• Like 7

4 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Portal to all starter towns freely, we can already portal from elevation to home servers via starter town portals.  Increase server traveling, tourism, hunting vacations, larger group events, etc

No new player in 2018 wants to join up to wurm pay a monthly sub and waste their time spending 5 hours sailing just to enjoy a public slaying or more than one rift per 9 days or when their servers rift is at a bad time.  People would still need to sail for picking up/delivering purchased goods, or traveling with large/bulk items, or traveling with animals once we get animal crates.  There is no reason to not add variety and make the game more fun to play

this!

+1

+1

but only with those restrictions, it should be useful for new players, a lot less for experienced ones.

oh and a rowboat is a full day of work for a new player, not the best way to start I think.

Edited by Timoca

5 hours ago, Timoca said:

oh and a rowboat is a full day of work for a new player, not the best way to start I think.

mine took me bit over a week with 10 shipbuilding skill already...and if no tar nearby got to make a coal pile and wait, and most wont even know its possible.

boats where the first reason i left the game...sure i came back a couple years later but pretty sure most dont. removing this issue might help on keeping new players in wurm.

• Like 1

+1 Definetly... i just few days ago travelled from chaos first to exo my deed to pick up my hunting gear for dragon slaying well that went smoothly, but when i left from exo to indy with plot course i got stuck on the server border 4 times when trying to cross it and then game lagging and boat didnt let me move, but kicked me out of commander spot few times. Lost quite bit time for such madness and ended up not getting on the slaying in time.

I am ok with that even tho that was my only reason to leave chaos for a change to enjoy public event. Several hours wasted for nothing.

Imagine new player going thru same, i bet they wont stand it very long. Having a portal to go around server borders would be amazing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Themystrix said:

Several hours wasted for nothing.

But that is the Wurm experience only to be enjoyed by the most hardcore players!

Seriously though, this is ridiculous. I was at risk of missing a slaying, too, because the server border swallowed my boat without its passengers. Karma teleported back to my deed with the captain and took a backup boat. That bug is a matter of its own, but ultimately I departed 3 hours before the event began because I know the pain that travel is in this game. Three hours.

But people cling to these outrageous time sinks for their "immersion". Except that during real travel you can at least do something, and the grinding feeling of wasted time takes me out of the game rather than suck me into it.

It's not like we want skyrim-esque fast travel where a single click gets you anywhere, from anywhere. A little bit of commuting is part of the charm, and shouldn't be completely devalued.

But how can you even rationalise making people spend hours on end doing practically nothing in order to do stuff with others for less than the time invested in travel? In an MMO of all things?!

(And someone will be a complete pillock and try to seriously answer this question with some cherrypicked non-sequitur, but the reality is that there is no rationale behind this except that it has simply always been that way, and that is always more of an explanation istead of a reason.)

• Like 1

No opinion, but leaning towards -1 out of conservative ideal.

I do have a question though:

Do you not think it is more important for new players to understand the lay of the land and experience the terrain rather than just have them port around? I would think exploration would matter more to a new player.

2 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Do you not think it is more important for new players to understand the lay of the land and experience the terrain rather than just have them port around? I would think exploration would matter more to a new player.

having to travel to the starter town each time means you will have to learn the path too. its not a direct teleport from home to destination. just a faster way to travel. and new people got compass and maps us oldies didnt have and we still managed.

the idea is to speed up the huge waste of times we currently have.. as themystrix (even if chaos would have to be limited this way cause of fairness) and  flubb said...spending hours to go to an even and nearly missing it cause of the huge travel times and adding the bugged crossing... its a nuissance. you waste hours you could be productive, where all you can do is just stare at the screen waiting. no fun...and not good to waste 3+ hours traveling if you can only be online 4 hours a day...

2 hours ago, Flubb said:

people cling to these outrageous time sinks for their "immersion". Except that during real travel you can at least do something