Sign in to follow this  
Ekib

lets talk about uniques

6 hours ago, Ekib said:

troublesome to say the least: unless you are part of a small group of elites, no chance in hell to get to take part in a hunt,

anyone can find a unique and set up there own kill, if you don't wan to take the time to find them, then go away

you are being lazy and just asking for stuff to be handed to you on a silver platter, why do I say this? you come up with this post while all these uniques, of which over 75% are free ranging:

https://niarja.com/servers/freedom

34 minutes ago, Ekib said:

well looks like i was wrong. tomes selling at 100-200s not 20. still is a fortune in my opinion and why i am not intrested in them personaly. even if my personal goal says i should. but i digress.

they wasnt inflation, but still a very lucrative business to farm uniques...and lock away part of the game to others while at it

Funny thing is, only the humanoids drop tomes, aka the ones you can have 1000 people in local and not have your money earnt impacted, dragons only have like 1% chance to drop last i heard and they're the ones that have private groups to maximise how much you get. People not having humanoids public is strange, seeing as it only has benefits for everyone. Perhaps they don't want to give away the common spawn points?

so...either i been talking in french this entire time or i should start, cause some of you seem to have trouble understanding basic english from the looks of it. going around and around and around like a broken record.

my issue isnt with the bloody loot. i do not give a rat's ass about it. i dont need it. if i did i'd just buy the parts and not worry. my issue is how about part of the game's content. aka the hunt itself, is locked away, and how the actual system could be improved to help find those uniques that are too far lost in xanadu as some claim, or those that hide away the beasts and never let anyone take part of the hunt.

regarding tomes i didnt know which ones drops what cause i dont care, and do not want to use them. but i'm not stubborn to the point of ignoring and pretending its not one of the cause of the issue. i know people seek those and its part of why the uniques have gone private. to be honest i wish they would stop droping altogether and we could go back to more pure hunting, this loot at all cost mentality is both poor taste and bad for the future of wurm. 

which is also funny how everyone seems to think what goes on in my head, always going back and forth about the loot. seems for you guys the unique is only loot, and has no other mechanics... perhaps i'm not the one with the problem here? 

so lets be clear yet again. dont give a rat's arse about the drops, already worked to buy what i wanted. what worries me is the content of the game that gets locked away by a few. and more importantly the fact it does nothing to help bringing the community together. quite the oposite.

• Like 2

Make uniques be able to break free from collapsed mines and give loot to killing hit. There, all problems solved :P

• Like 1

mhm... I really don't care for loot or whatsoever, heck I haven't even been to a rift myself.

But I like the game and I will join any sensible discussion that has a chance to better things for everyone.

Then again the dicussion has been brought up so many times that people do not bother reading a thing anymore and just plant a random answer in the thread,

as if they magically know what it is about just because unique is in the thread name.

Even asking for people to read before they reply falls on deaf ears blind eyes, this thread seriously shows how sad the state of affairs around this is.

Edited by Milkdrop
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ekib said:

seems for you guys the unique is only loot, and has no other mechanics... perhaps i'm not the one with the problem here? 

so lets be clear yet again. dont give a rat's arse about the drops, already worked to buy what i wanted. what worries me is the content of the game that gets locked away by a few. and more importantly the fact it does nothing to help bringing the community together. quite the opposite.

So this is about sitting in a circle, Indian style, roasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya?   Don't give me the "uniting the community" speech, that's what Rifts are for.

Seriously, if you are wanting to help slay the unique because you want to be one of the "top players" like LadyGodiva, Tuga, etc that have slain 100 uniques in their tenure, *usually* you can just ask whoever is hosting the event and they'll let you.

If your issue is the "hunt" to find uniques, then honestly, you need to try harder to find them.

And finally, if this is some rant about how uniques shouldn't be able to be penned, I'm still waiting for supporting arguments.  Currently they destroy villages, kill new new players that are oblivious to their presence and require coordination to put down.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

I'm still waiting for supporting arguments.

One could interpret dragons "properly bashing mine doors" to mean that penning a dragon underground is not an intended mechanic?  It certainly seems a little like abusing a bug (the inability of uniques to tunnel).

6 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

One could interpret dragons "properly bashing mine doors" to mean that penning a dragon underground is not an intended mechanic?  It certainly seems a little like abusing a bug (the inability of uniques to tunnel).

Last time i tried they could just walk out through the door like players can, and if you walked through a mine entrance or door they just drop aggro and run off, have never seen one bash a door.

Just because dragons have built in mechanics to attempt to free themselves does not mean that penning uniques is wrongful.  

Show me in the Wurm rules where it is forbidden to attempt to pen uniques.

3 hours ago, Ekib said:

part of the game's content. aka the hunt itself, is locked away

The only way anything is locked away is due to your reluctance to go out and find a unique yourself.

These things spawn fairly steady several times a month, there are numerous servers to hunt them on, you have runes now that give you reveal creatures so you can't even use the excuse of needing a priest and fancy gems anymore. There are uniques roaming all over xanadu, pristine is due to a new spawn any minute now, get off your lazy arse and go look for them. Find one. Pen it and set up your own special slaying any way you see fit.

4 hours ago, Ekib said:

so...either i been talking in french this entire time or i should start, cause some of you seem to have trouble understanding basic english from the looks of it. going around and around and around like a broken record.

my issue isnt with the bloody loot. i do not give a rat's ass about it. i dont need it. if i did i'd just buy the parts and not worry. my issue is how about part of the game's content. aka the hunt itself, is locked away, and how the actual system could be improved to help find those uniques that are too far lost in xanadu as some claim, or those that hide away the beasts and never let anyone take part of the hunt.

regarding tomes i didnt know which ones drops what cause i dont care, and do not want to use them. but i'm not stubborn to the point of ignoring and pretending its not one of the cause of the issue. i know people seek those and its part of why the uniques have gone private. to be honest i wish they would stop droping altogether and we could go back to more pure hunting, this loot at all cost mentality is both poor taste and bad for the future of wurm. 

which is also funny how everyone seems to think what goes on in my head, always going back and forth about the loot. seems for you guys the unique is only loot, and has no other mechanics... perhaps i'm not the one with the problem here? 

so lets be clear yet again. dont give a rat's arse about the drops, already worked to buy what i wanted. what worries me is the content of the game that gets locked away by a few. and more importantly the fact it does nothing to help bringing the community together. quite the oposite.

Your issue is that the hunt itself is locked away? The hunt is not locked away, everyone is able to go and hunt for uniques when they spawn, the secret is, to actually go out and hunt rather then just be expected to get invited when no effort is put into finding it. There is also plenty of public slayings that happen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mataleao said:

One change I would like to see in regards to uniques:

Sound & visual cues to their presence.

A dragon, for example:

It roars, audible within its local. It leaves a trail of destruction that marks its passage across the lands - fallen and uprooted trees, packed dirt tiles, animal corpses strewn about.

I hear birds chirping all the time, even ducks (where they at???). Something as Epic as a dragon (or other uniques) deserves its own soundbytes.

I like this. I'd love to see dragons try to build a horde, too, of shiny objects they find. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ekib said:

funny how you all assume i'm entittled or this or that yet blame me for saying that most of those small group that hunt uniques and keep them to themselves make a fortune from it .... want to make this clear? i already hunted uniques, got my loot and can buy more from what i got in the bank i made working honestly. i do not care about the loot, i care about fairness and how a few dictactes to other players what they can and cant do by locking away a section of the game's content. but clearly its more fun for some to troll the subject and flood with missinformation instead of actualy taking part in the discussion with constructive information.

Welcome to the Internet, where people enjoy being ugly! :)

Now, if it's the hunt experience itself that counts, Epic has -plenty- of uniques. If you wanted to bring a crowd of folks to Serenity to experience unique hunting for the first time, we could arrange that. (We did a couple uniques earlier today, as it happens.)

The irony is that the actual hunt sucks. :( Let's all gather around this mob and see if we have enough DPM/healing to slap it to death before it regens or kills us. :(

• Like 1

Current system is retarded and causes too much drama tbh. It's impossible to organize without penning so i'm against allowing them to escape. About public slayings they are also retarded, having over 100 people is unberable lag for me(sorry not all or us have computers that can run 20 alts) and reward is not worth the trouble of travelling and wasting my time in wurm which is limited). Also 50 people just standing there and lowering amount of scale for people who actualy fight it and find is is stupid. They are end game content ffs, meaning they are not designed for noobs and alts so i would distribute rewards to just the ones that fought them... I like rift like idea, it reduce wasting time on finding them, would be extremly useful for Xana, for Chaos idk, could even bring more pvp. Rewards can be distributed automaticly scaled to work done, a lot of new posibility for improvment and i vote for overhaul in that direction. If not, i would just remove distribution to local non fighters, atleast for hide and scale

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

Remove uniques for pve side and there will be no issues. You can kill the people that are going slay/search for the uniques on chaos/epic. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2018 at 7:23 AM, Ekib said:

well looks like i was wrong. tomes selling at 100-200s not 20. still is a fortune in my opinion and why i am not intrested in them personaly. even if my personal goal says i should. but i digress.

they wasnt inflation, but still a very lucrative business to farm uniques...and lock away part of the game to others while at it

Okay, Ill bite. How does one farm uniques? You plant unique seeds into a container and then throw cash tears at it from all those who are complaining so it may sprout into a big unique tee?

What power do the horrific poaching groups have that you do not have? Time? Friends?

I read the OP, including the post scriptums made to pick on people who disagree with your suggestion, calling them out by name and completely twisting what they said, very tasteful choice.

You say that it is limited only to those who want to spend time searching the entire map -  I'm missing where in Wurm this is a bad thing. 

Look at pristine and release. Tell me those are small private slayings that exclude the playerbase. (hint, they're not, but you're just not a part of that group). Uniques is one of the few things left in Wurm that isn't handed to you on silver platter, you actually need to team up with people and put a lot of effort into it to reap a good reward. Wether for cash or for creating armour or collecting tomes. Rifts - sure they're fun. Once or twice. After that, they're just a 3 hour armour damage grind for a small piece of moonmetal and a shoulderpad that you probably already have.

Someone already listed Xanadu, which has about 10 uniques that are alive with - to my knowledge - only one of those penned. Some are there alive for over two years now, and yet people are write posts about how useless it is to search because the evil others will find them first. 

As far as why so many slayings have turned private, who knows. I know why dragons, for that you can blame the "scatter to body into pieces for all in local" system - why would I spend my time searching and give up a bunch of my scale or drake for someone who only took the time to show up - that's as ridiculous as paying to imp someone else's item at an impalong. As far as the other humanoid uniques, I guess ple just don't always need to make everything public to please others. There's what, 7? freedom servers now, with up to 12 different uniques that can spawn - they've never been more abundant. 

If you are genuine - I really doubt this, since you have no problem at all bringing up values of specific items dropped - about not caring about loot, then there are plenty of options. Rifts are a community option that is always public, protected by the rules, with a big old beam of light. But wait, rifts arent good enough!

Perhaps it's time to junk the white and green hatchlings, since their potions are trash anyway. Strip them of their bone, skull, and hide drops (and up the hide drop a bit on the other three hatchlings, please), and I promise you, those big mean poachers will no longer bother to search for them. All that's left to do then is search for them. You might just find some people are actually not in it for the money but for the fun.

I've suggested two things before, and thats for a lurker spell to hit uniques, wether its lurker in the woods, dark, or a whole new spell,  or for them to teleport every 2 real life months, so to prevent them from getting penned forever and also to assist in finding those unfindable xanadu uniques.

Other than that, -1 to any suggestion about loot scatter to all attending (that'll eliminate any future public slayings), about uniques spawning at rifts (they're supposed to be UNIQUEs, not "I spawn in a predetermined location with a big red light every 9 exact days on each server) and for the same reason, sparkling lighthouse uniques.

Why does everything have to be made easier and not require any effort or teamwork any longer. Here I was hoping for more uniques, like spider mothers and alpha wolves, thinking that the frequent respawning of uniques had satisfied most people. I guess some people just need to have it handed on a silver plate.

For many actual players, playing a game means "give me that. Give me that because he have it and I don't. We're equal so give me. And if I have to travel, pay me to come pick free stuff. Or no, teleport me, then pay me, then give me that! He won it, he put lots od efforts. Stupid. This is sandbox, i don't want to put efforts because thats my way of playing. Still i want a reward. Gimme that!" And still many would complain, because hardest challenge for them was already registering an account with handtyping double email box.

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

For many actual players, playing a game means "give me that. Give me that because he have it and I don't. We're equal so give me. And if I have to travel, pay me to come pick free stuff. Or no, teleport me, then pay me, then give me that! He won it, he put lots od efforts. Stupid. This is sandbox, i don't want to put efforts because thats my way of playing. Still i want a reward. Gimme that!" And still many would complain, because hardest challenge for them was already registering an account with handtyping double email box.

In many games, yes, this is how it is. In a few hours or days of playing you can access 99% of the games content, making it fantastic for casual players. You can achieve your arch mage status and run around wearing dead dragons and riding your flaming hell horse in a few days, throwing lighting bolts out of your hands. Or spend a couple hours mining, and you've got your diamond equipment ready, your castle built, and ready to slay an enderdragon and other end game mobs. Wurm is different. Is this good or bad, I don't know. There's tons of complaints on the wurm unlimited reviews about how slow paced the game is, how long it takes to do anything (and how much the gui sucks). I like wurm. It's one of the only games like this. You can do anything, if you spend enough time and effort to it, and that keeps me coming back. They could probably attract more players by just cranking everything up to epic or challenge server speeds and timers, remove priests restrictions, and add micro transactions. Token teleports from place to place because the server is too big. Dragons spawning left and right, in pre-determined caves, with stashes of scale armours and hoardes or gold and gems, quest maps leading to their locations, and npcs rewarding you for slaying the terror of the village. The playerbase may increase, certainly for casual players that don't want to spend hours or days searching for a dragon, but I'd quit playing. 

• Like 1

The only problem is the people. Get a group together on Xan (as I have tried many times) and we can have our own elitist unique hunting cool kids club. Get a lot though, because Xan is 16x bigger than Pri/Release and those guys have 10-20 hunting.

2 hours ago, Alyeska said:

As far as why so many slayings have turned private, who knows. I know why dragons, for that you can blame the "scatter to body into pieces for all in local" system - why would I spend my time searching and give up a bunch of my scale or drake for someone who only took the time to show up

thanks for pointing out one of the issues causing the reason i created the thread in the first place. indeed the loot sharing part is one thing that needs to be addressed as well. like you said there's only so many hide you can get and the more people theless one would get, so it stands to reason under those facts that the less would yeild more reward, and why some of the hunts have been kept secret.

and as aeryck is saying he tried many times to get a group to form in xan. something tells me this has been met with failure, more due to the size of the map rather than the willingness of people to take part, ease to locate them, perhaps knowing in which part of the map they are located at spawn, such as central, north west, south east ect, might help form those hunting groups. so its an other possible idea

Edited by Ekib

4 minutes ago, Ekib said:

thanks for pointing out one of the issues causing the reason i created the thread in the first place. indeed the loot sharing part is one thing that needs to be addressed as well. like you said there's only so many hide you can get and the more people theless one would get, so it stands to reason under those facts that the less would yeild more reward, and why some of the hunts have been kept secret.

and as aeryck is saying he tried many times to get a group to form in xan. something tells me this has been met with failure, more due to the size of the map rather than the willingness of people to take part, ease to locate them, perhaps knowing in which part of the map they are located at spawn, such as central, north west, south east ect, might help form those hunting groups. so its an other possible idea

Only thing that needs to be addressed is your lack of effort to spend the time searching, Xanadu may be 16x bigger, but there are 10x as many uniques on that server than any other freedom server at this time.

If you find one and can't pen it I can help with that, just let me know where.

29 minutes ago, Ekib said:

Xanadu is odd in its own regard in that the server is so large. It is really, really big, the map is misleading making it look smaller than it really is. With most uniques being static and some areas being pretty much impossible to reach, it takes some serious effort to find uniques there. Which is alright, and I've made a couple suggestions that would affect mostly the xanadu server (pendulums have a larger range on xanadu so they are most effective there, and on no other server will a unique be alive after two months).

On the bright side the intense difficulty of finding uniques there means you also have no competition, which is why it's being pointed out. 2 and a half years or so is the troll kings age - you can take your time and just search a little bit when you feel like it. I do not know many of the parties that search that actually bother to search on xanadu. I've only actually found a unique once there ever by searching; the other ones were just random stumble-into-while-travelling ordeals - something that can happen to anyone.

Oddly enough the one I did find was in range of a highway that was under construction, with wagons and carts and dirt piles.. People were right there with it and it did attack me on the road, so I guess some players just don't care about them. It'd been alive for quite a few months already when I found it, too. 15 minutes outside a starter town. Weird.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

i agree with you aly. xanadu map is unique in its own way as well, the size causing issues that could use an individual approach for the server itself. and i liked the idea of pendulum range, didnt knew about the age part but that would also be a solution, given the spawn points are random, if its just to spawn over and over in the same spot... wont change much

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ekib said:

i agree with you aly. xanadu map is unique in its own way as well, the size causing issues that could use an individual approach for the server itself. and i liked the idea of pendulum range, didnt knew about the age part but that would also be a solution, given the spawn points are random, if its just to spawn over and over in the same spot... wont change much

I am still not hearing anything about you wanting to spend the time to look for a unique.

On 13/05/2018 at 4:41 PM, Wargasm said:

Just because dragons have built in mechanics to attempt to free themselves does not mean that penning uniques is wrongful.  

Show me in the Wurm rules where it is forbidden to attempt to pen uniques.

But why would they have them bash mine doors then?

• Like 1