Sign in to follow this  
Ashland

Error with IcedTea-web/JavaWS during launch

Hello I'm new, never played Wurm, never tried to fiddle with Java. I understand you're using the Java Network Launching Protocol (JNLP) to launch your Java Web Start application. It seems the most natural way to do this is by using JavaWS. 

The following error occurs during the launch process:

net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Launch Error: Could not launch JNLP file. The application has not been initialized, for more information execute javaws/browser from the command line and send a bug report.
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:580)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:936)
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.util.PropertyPermission" "org.lwjgl.input.Mouse.allowNegativeMouseCoords" "write")
    at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:472)
    at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:884)
    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPSecurityManager.checkPermission(JNLPSecurityManager.java:292)
    at java.lang.System.setProperty(System.java:792)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.ApplicationInstance$1.run(ApplicationInstance.java:278)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.ApplicationInstance.installEnvironment(ApplicationInstance.java:284)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.ApplicationInstance.initialize(ApplicationInstance.java:144)
    at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:533)
    ... 1 more

I'm on Solus. Also got the non-open oracle java version (JRE 8u172) installed. 

edit: from looking at the Java Console details it seems as if both packages are being used, the oracle java and the open implementation (openjdk-8). I'd rather have the open version installed and oracle java removed, if possible. Does it work with both?

Edited by Ashland

Hey thanks. Tried your alternative client, got some different questions during the process from icedtea, but ultimately I still get an initialization error. 

Next I wanted to try uninstalling the openjdk-8 version to avoid conflict, but that would also remove icedtea-web. 

How would I use Oracle Java without giving it total system access? Any other native way to run it in a sandbox? I have searched the snap and flatpak db's, but there is no wurm. 

Edited by Ashland

Can you download the jnlp file and then tell the system to "Open with..."  and select Java Web Start?  On Xubuntu I can just right-click on the file, select that, and it works.  I've never been able to get it to run via the browser.

And I did have success running Wurm on OpenJDK for a few months  some time ago without issue, though I've been using strictly Oracle Java for probably the last year now, so your mileage may vary.  The only way I can think of blocking the Oracle Java from the rest of the system would be to install in a Linux virtual machine, but I think, unless you had an extremely strong system, it would make the game unplayable. 

My suggestion would be to use Oracle Java and use the method above if you want to play the game.

9 hours ago, Sjarn said:

Can you download the jnlp file and then tell the system to "Open with..."  and select Java Web Start?  On Xubuntu I can just right-click on the file, select that, and it works.  I've never been able to get it to run via the browser.

And I did have success running Wurm on OpenJDK for a few months  some time ago without issue, though I've been using strictly Oracle Java for probably the last year now, so your mileage may vary.  The only way I can think of blocking the Oracle Java from the rest of the system would be to install in a Linux virtual machine, but I think, unless you had an extremely strong system, it would make the game unplayable. 

My suggestion would be to use Oracle Java and use the method above if you want to play the game.

It might be possible to run Wurm using OpenJDK paired with OpenJFX package, but haven't tested it personally.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:27 PM, Sjarn said:

I've never been able to get it to run via the browser.

As you shouldn't, chromium-based browsers don't allow for it anymore since 2014 or 2015.  (a bit about why, applets)

blocking the Oracle Java from the rest of the system [...] in a Linux virtual machine, but I think, unless you had an extremely strong system, it would make the game unplayable. 

It runs fine in VirtualBox on a regular cpu, but at the moment I'm using firejail to contain unrestricted system access. 

Like this: firejail --caps.drop=all --noprofile javaws wurmclient.jnlp

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:08 AM, Ashland said:

As you shouldn't, chromium-based browsers don't allow for it anymore since 2014 or 2015.  (a bit about why, applets)

Java Web Start and applets are different beasts, but I'm glad to hear you got it working!  And very securely, by the sounds of it.  ?

Happy Wurming!