Sign in to follow this  
madnezz

Mad Suggestions

On 5/10/2018 at 9:18 AM, madnezz said:

2.  Create active Mentor villages on Golden Valley to help retain players new to the game.  Activity attracts activity, right now you log in for your very first time to a very quiet and un-appealling tutorial.  If there was an active village in local where people new to the game could ask questions and join temporarily, it would vastly improve their experience.  

While I very much =like= the Mentor Village in GV idea, my understanding is that the main reason they removed the previous "hands on, try everything" Golden Valley tutorial and replaced it with the current sterile showcase "look but don't touch" village with "click to read signs to save going to Wurmpedia but 10x more confusing than Wurmpedia" was because they felt periodically cleaning up the messes after newbies in GV was already too much work for GMs.  Yes, even with a very superhigh decay rate.  Adding a mentor Village where people could actually learn things hands on would bring that "mess" right back to GV again. 

Years ago when they removed without notice the old tutorial, they said a brand new revamped tutorial (skippable for those who don't like tutorials) was in the works.   When it first seemed they meant only the long unfinished "Book of Knowledge" sidebar and  people objected that did not really replace "try it and see" hands on learning, they said "oh no, we mean something better than just that, of course." Like many ideas, never finished & never implemented.

Perhaps one day we can again have some kind of hands on learning center -- perhaps an "instanced" Settlers School in each starter town which you can't log out or AFK  in it (or you just respawn back in starter town if you try) and that re-sets / self-deletes / re-creates anytime it is unoccupied. Then if people miss taking a tutorial at the start, and later regret that impulse, they can always return to the Starter Town Schools on their server and repeat anything they did not get the first time. 

Like .. how to cut down a tree. Or activate tools. Or Examine tiles. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

...they can always return to the Starter Town Schools on their server and repeat anything they did not get the first time. 

Like .. how to cut down a tree. Or activate tools. Or Examine tiles. 

There should absolutely be an NPC representing a vet player with a "Keep off my lawn and don't you touch my trees!" attitude too, just so noobies can also learn the social etiquette of interacting with others in a community... because from what I remember noobies ALL know how to cut down trees, just not how to replant them, how to check perimeters and talk to deed owners BEFORE cutting the established oak and fruit trees, and how to NOT dig, and how to NOT drop dirt on clay (to raise it of course!)  As a noobie, I thought it was a great plan to deed where someone left a forge in the field, because, by golly, I would not have to build one!

• Like 1

This week's suggestions posted.

As far as mentor villages go, the key word is Mentor.  The mentors will be veteran players that can sort out the mess newbs create as they learn how to play.  The whole point is to make the first few days a very interactive MMO experience so new players actually give the game a chance.  The mentor's will be the human portal from the tutorial to the rest of the servers, even go so far as have their villages linked.  No reason to overthink this and try to make it automated, that has already been proven to defeat the purpose.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, madnezz said:

This week's new suggestions:

1.  Organize buff/debuff icons by type, ie. all the food affinity icons will be next to each other, shoulder pads next to each other, etc. where applicable.

2.  Allow for planting of items in walk-able depths of water, especially lamps.

3.  Change how arrows and quivers work:  Quivers now require a leather and 50 arrows to create and they weigh 7.25kg.  Average arrow quality determines raw damage of quiver.  Quiver quality determines number of shots left in quiver with 100ql = 50 shots.  As you shoot your bow the quality of the quiver decreases by 2 accordingly down to 1 quality and no more shots left.  Improving the quiver now requires fletching skill and effectively replenishes the shots left.  Quivers can be individually enchanted with one damage spell like frostbrand, rotting touch, venom, flaming aura,  or bloodthirst. 

No more shooting a troll on a mountain and worrying about chasing or losing your arrows you spent a week imping.  You imp the arrows once as components of the quiver.

+1

Shooting something with your arrows to see it die on someones deed is even worse than croaking up some mountain side.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 7:50 PM, Fairyshine said:

a vet player with a "Keep off my lawn and don't you touch my trees!" attitude too,

I can provide a list of references and supply my own chair if needed along with my application for this position.

• Like 1

Once upon a time I was a member of Get off My Lawn, Gnomes Rule.

lawn.jpg

1 hour ago, Mclavin said:

+1 quivers but -1 the enchants

not really any different than only enchanting your sword once

• Like 1

my sword can't hit from 20 tiles away. Will be a pvp-archering nightmare to have such easy access to enchanted arrows. 

BT bows can already 4-5 hit a horse in a barding and thats without people spending the time enchanting each arrow, so just cutting possible 41 enchants down to just 1, is too OP.

If there is a way to not make it 1 enchant for 41 enchanted arrows, im down. 

+ I don't get the need to make it so easy tbh. 

Edited by Mclavin

anyone with access to a priest can easily enchant arrows, you worried pvp might get too hard?

Yet barely anybody does. You're literally known for "too easy" This = Too easy. BT bow can already 4-5 shot a horse With barding but you should be able to 1 time enchant 41 arrows and give them all the same cast power?? Yeah ok bud

1 hour ago, Mclavin said:

Yet barely anybody does.

I have several quivers of enchanted arrows, JK donated to me.

Quivers or no, I wanna be able to cast LT on bows! :) (Ideally, as a balanced, viable alternative to BT.)

On 5/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, madnezz said:

This week's new suggestions:

1.  Organize buff/debuff icons by type, ie. all the food affinity icons will be next to each other, shoulder pads next to each other, etc. where applicable.

2.  Allow for planting of items in walk-able depths of water, especially lamps.

3.  Change how arrows and quivers work:  Quivers now require a leather and 50 arrows to create and they weigh 7.25kg.  Average arrow quality determines raw damage of quiver.  Quiver quality determines number of shots left in quiver with 100ql = 50 shots.  As you shoot your bow the quality of the quiver decreases by 2 accordingly down to 1 quality and no more shots left.  Improving the quiver now requires fletching skill and effectively replenishes the shots left.  Quivers can be individually enchanted with one damage spell like frostbrand, rotting touch, venom, flaming aura,  or bloodthirst. 

No more shooting a troll on a mountain and worrying about chasing or losing your arrows you spent a week imping.  You imp the arrows once as components of the quiver to determine damage, similar to how arrow quality currently determines damage.

Previous Suggestions:

1.  Increase sailing speeds by up to 50% with wind of ages or blessings of the dark casts on sails and sail rarity.  The sails would be replaceable/equipable and take damage as you travel off deed similar to horseshoes & saddles.

2.  Create active Mentor villages on Golden Valley to help retain players new to the game.  Activity attracts activity, right now you log in for your very first time to a very quiet and un-appealling tutorial.  If there was an active village in local where people new to the game could ask questions and join temporarily, it would vastly improve their experience.  

3.  Give boats a built in compass that does not need to settle.

4.  An additional warning message when sailing across server borders while leading horses.

5.  Marker buoys in the corners of each server to help prevent getting stuck while attempting to cross too close to the corner of the server.  Buoys would have compass directions painted on them.  

6.  Create a rune that does a genesis cast.

7.  Allow the Corbita and Cog ships to load a rowboat.  Allow the Caravel to load either a rowboat or sailboat.  Rowboats will not take any storage space since they would be on deck.  You can add a small storage penalty for loading a sailboat.

8.  Revert Global Cast restrictions.  Prior to this knee-jerk change, global casts were quite frequent and now they very rarely happen.  At least when Yellowfinger was casting them you had a chance to be online for it.  Most servers haven't had a Rite of Spring cast in over 200 days, on 2 servers it was Yellowfinger who last cast them right before this frivolous change, that is just silly.  

9.  Allow ash to accumulate in forges etc.  Instead of only 3 ash no matter how many times you light a forge without cleaning or how long it burns over 30 min, how about we get 10 ash every 30 minutes the forge etc is lit and it accumulates?

10.  Increase the combat rating and hit points of champion creatures.  Give champion creatures a significantly higher chance for rare butchered parts.  

11.  Give the large saddle several different mounts to use it on.

Previously posted suggestions:

More suggestions to come.

+1

Update, a mad suggestion was actually implemented and another partially.

New suggestions this week.

1.   Vastly increase the number of rift resources per rift node.  With the addition of the electrum rune of fo and other similar ones where you can easily use 20-30 in no time, coupled with the poor creation and use chances for the average player, more resources per rift per player is necessary.

2.  Add Skeletons and wraiths to the list of creatures that spawn in caves.

3.  Automatically lead animals when removing them from crates, you lead them in already.

Edited by madnezz

This week's suggestions have been added.

This week's (7/20/18) new suggestions:

1.   Animal distress calls - if the creature is aggressive it's calls attract other's of its type within 15 tiles.  If the creature is passive it causes all other passive creatures within 30 tiles to move a bit more than usual in random directions, like sheep and deer did.

2.  FSB container units and empty FSB containers just like the BSB versions.

3.  Make a new electrum altar that requires X of each gem to make in addition to metal requirement and it increases the amount of favor you get from sacrificing with it by X %.

This week's (8/3/18) new suggestions:

1.   Revisit wind speeds and boat speed customization.  Why can't boats go 50-60 kmh in a gale?  Double the speed of boats for all wind speeds, ie light breeze will be around 20.  Add slots on boats to allow for cast-able sails and keels, similar to saddles on horses, where you can increase the speed of your boat with wind of ages or blessings of the dark casts in addition to higher quality.  The faster you go the more damage the sails take as a trade off.

2.  Add automation.  If you have 90 or even 95 woodcutting skill allow the creation and use of a sawmill, you can force this by requiring the skill to "mount" the mill similar to having enough body control to ride certain mounts.  Parts of the saw mill could include a still to generate the steam needed to run it, several saws, crates to store the products etc.  Water and burning materials will be fuel.  Instead of using a saw to cut planks off a log one at a time, the sawmill is loaded with a crate of logs and makes ~100 planks at a time for instance.  Same goes for everything else you can create with a log, ie. shafts, beams etc.  This idea could lead to other automation like patterns to make support beams or other items you could need 100s or 1000s of.  Alleviates the tedium and there are fun ways to prevent afk spamming, like keeping the water and fuel levels right.

3. There has to be a better sound file for the pouring of water.

boat speeds up a bit yes, to much will wreck boating id be happy with 25 on a good day 10 on a bad. compass on mast in front of u  good idea , please a little red light up top of mast doesn't have to light up place either . border thing yes I been caught and thrown out several times.

1) Strong +1 game a bit hard and too slow for new players, so losing some new coming players course of speed.. P.S. my ex-girlfriend dropped didnt liked the game after we sail at Xanadu from S9 to O8 > said 'god damn we spent almost 2 h to just sail to someplace? Maybe should try different game?' 
2) Strong +1 here automatization can spend same time as you spend on to make 1000 planks, but will be coming like 1 action. So you can do that when afk, however must be available only at high skills. I'd suggest to make also regular mills, mortar / brick factories, maybe some metallurgy factory.  Would be also nice to make possible to create this kind of factory only with help of few people (like it work with global casts) like you need 3 carpenter 90+ skill and 3 masons 90+ skill to start mill and so and so. That will be great! 
3) dunno, not that much important atm i think, also wurm have a pretty good sound base, yeah always possible to improve, like make more then 1 sound for creatures that get dmg. Or at least made some sounds for them while they aint going to attack you (like spiders) I think all creatures need to have sounds of moment whan they get agro, course some time you fight with 1 spider, and cant know that at your back already 3 tolls bashing your spine.. 
-=Previous Suggestions=-
1) Yellow potions are great now to decorate tables, and they do not decay that im appreciate! :) but if add possibility to dye them ... :P 
2) dunno
3)  +1 good idea! so annoying to make .60 kg each time when you need 5 kg, but this idea can be connected with automatization idea ^ 2)..  Like at the high skill you get the possibility to made an iron barrel on a campfire to make bulk cooking liquids..
4) Oh, well no a big deal, but why not +1
5) didnt get it
6) +1 great!! Amazing idea!! Atm i use waterskins for arrows, course they can hold more arrows, not sure that quivers can be useful... only for decorate toon maybe .. to Make them that much useful can be very cool! 
7) +1! Add realism! also i'd suggest if that possible to add Fouling for boats, that will not only decrease speed but also looks nice and realistic + will add some new tools for game ! 

8.) Dunno, maybe if add possibility to see villages with mayors online, so new player may contact with them. Make villages around starter city if i understood correct, well so so. I like to help new players, but i'm not ready to live somewhere in the middle of the map. however if new player will pm me, and ask if he can join, I mostly will accept him 
9) Great +1! what a sense if you a captain, to jump out of your boat to check direction lol, that for sure shouldn't be like that... 

10) Yeah +1 like with deed / merchant contract! 
11) I'd prefer to use not buoys but Lighthouses. they will be a model > like guard tower but much longer (just need to add them in game) people will put on they servers in a corners and possible to put a name like NW / SW / NE / SE so can easily check if you didn't confuse corner. 
12) +1 Oh i'd wished runes be much more castable, like have they own casts, and be able to use in pvp, that will also effect on they value. not Only Genesis but other unique from Priesthood spells as well 
13) +1 oh yeah!! id' say caravel can load 2 rowboats/sailboats (but with no mast) ^ according your idea about boat wear. And all rest ships will able to load only 1 row/sail.
14) No idea.
15) +1 yeah, and if you dont clean forge to long time, it's become to be stuffed, and unable to use :P 
16) +1 here yeah that would be great to have some rare parts, not sure about cr, maybe, but about rare parts +100%
17) mhm!! Good, like on a champs! :) make champ animals - raidable with large saddle :)
18) duno, dont use hh
19) +1! but not wagons! let us be not lazzy let it be human transporter wagon, > next level of wagon Also can be decorated item for Freedom Alliances :) no need to make it uncovered :P 
20) +1, need more rakes for items, not looks like boxes, but showing us tools inside, also i'd added some web on them (if they get dmg) > i'd even make them able to take dmg insted of tools that placed inside (while on a deed) so more tools inside, faster dmg gain (on QL affected also)
21) +1 yeah, why not!
22) +1 that would be cool! i'd even suggest to add them from unbutchered corpses, or unburied, so will have extra sense to bury 
23) mm aint really important as for me

24) +1 wow that great idea! Like wolves will call more wolves, trolls > more trolls :P ... for nonaggressive creatures, i'd added some another code, like they ain't trying to fight at all, they always trying to run if you attack them.
25) mmmhm yeah to sort by QL good idea! +1

26) +1 well then moonmetall altars should be added too! :) 

Alot of great ideas hope at least easier by code will be added soon!