Sign in to follow this  
FranktheTank

Epic, Complete 180°

2 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Hey Hey Look at this Thread, its pretty nice!

every time I peek at it this comment bothers me:

On 5/23/2018 at 4:26 AM, Angelklaine said:

If you don't think 3 months are a long time, go stand on one leg for three months and come back and tell me how much fun it is. I'm not saying you should release a pvp feature every week, but you can't expect people to happily wait for years for you to come with something interesting.

and the fact that 4 people liked it. falling for 10 seconds is a long time, don't try. I don't know what your terminal velocity be, but after 10 seconds it will certainly not be fun if you hit the ground. In all seriousness though... a pvp sandbox does not need to be updated frequently to keep players interested. A sandbox should allow plenty of creativity to let players do as they please, and the fact that everybody is unique should allow player to player interaction to be different whenever you meet new people. This suggestion is asking to remove stuff rather than add on, so the sandbox portion is definitely not being satisfied. I don't understand how removal of game features like tomes and moon metals would increase the amount of players for a significant amount of time either. Whenever I play a game and then choose to play a simpler version of it, I get bored EASILY. Of course, maybe other people out there enjoy going from ping pong to pong (after mastering ping pong). I'm on the devs side where they say "How long until this gets boring." Remove those features and you are still going to fight the same, build the same, and craft the same. Just less variety. The most enjoyable feature would be interacting with others, which is already a possibility. Only way I see this working is if people can't hear/see each other over piles of moon metals, tomes, and unique drops. 

Don't get me wrong though, I have thought of stuff like this several times when playing other games, but it ends up not working well.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:52 AM, Yiraia said:

every time I peek at it this comment bothers me:

and the fact that 4 people liked it. falling for 10 seconds is a long time, don't try. I don't know what your terminal velocity be, but after 10 seconds it will certainly not be fun if you hit the ground. In all seriousness though... a pvp sandbox does not need to be updated frequently to keep players interested. A sandbox should allow plenty of creativity to let players do as they please, and the fact that everybody is unique should allow player to player interaction to be different whenever you meet new people. This suggestion is asking to remove stuff rather than add on, so the sandbox portion is definitely not being satisfied. I don't understand how removal of game features like tomes and moon metals would increase the amount of players for a significant amount of time either. Whenever I play a game and then choose to play a simpler version of it, I get bored EASILY. Of course, maybe other people out there enjoy going from ping pong to pong (after mastering ping pong). I'm on the devs side where they say "How long until this gets boring." Remove those features and you are still going to fight the same, build the same, and craft the same. Just less variety. The most enjoyable feature would be interacting with others, which is already a possibility. Only way I see this working is if people can't hear/see each other over piles of moon metals, tomes, and unique drops. 

Don't get me wrong though, I have thought of stuff like this several times when playing other games, but it ends up not working well.

Because as many agreed the game before the tomes, moonmetal, and the like was considered to them to be better than the current version. Adding additional requirements to fight people in a video game is not ideal. I do not think it is out of question to say that at least the people who like this suggestion find the game more fun with less. This is also a way to make Epic an unique cluster, which other than armor changes and faster skills, shares everything in common with chaos which was from what I always understood NEVER THE INTENT. 

Epic features were interesting on epic, when the first tomes came out people were excited. But you know who else was excited? Freedom. They wanted the same things, and got them. Now what makes Epic, Epic? Valeri Creatures? 

3 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Epic features were interesting on epic, when the first tomes came out people were excited. But you know who else was excited? Freedom. They wanted the same things, and got them. Now what makes Epic, Epic? Valeri Creatures? 

Packs of Drake Spirits on the borders.

• Like 1

new idea, challenge server, completely free to play, Wurm Royale. Huge action speed bonus and skill bonus, maps last about a week or so.

On 5/9/2018 at 3:44 PM, FranktheTank said:

Considering all the hate the Epic Cluster seems to receive, and people demanding that the cluster have something unique to it, which we are well past the mechanics of uniqueness (everyone now can get tomes, moonmetal, and the lot.) Why do we not just make it unique by making it simple?

Why not just take what the game used to be, no moonmetal, tomes, valeri, default gods, etc. (meditation?)  Make that the new server with the current armor changes, and balances people like of which can be picked and chosen. The goal being a more vanilla style of game play.  

This should appease everyone, a fresh map, fresh game, mixed with a refreshing change to what is considered the "end game" content.

Let me know what you think, provide feedback, and feel free to criticize. 

EDIT: This can also be used as a great ground floor for new balance updates, such as the Dual Wielding that Xallo suggested, the clean slate nature encourages experimentation. 

Epic 180° A Return to Normalcy

• Like 1

@FranktheTank I've been keeping up to date with this thread from the beginning and have read through everything since it started. It's still too early to state anything concrete.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

@FranktheTank I've been keeping up to date with this thread from the beginning and have read through everything since it started. It's still too early to state anything concrete.

Thanks for the update and input!

• Like 1

I am still a believer in a "Old School" concept for Epic, and I think this is gaining relevance with recent suggestion threads.

I will continue to advocate that Epic be made into the image of old over Chaos, which I feel should represent the game in its current state.

I'm down with Epic as long as center server becomes a challenge server that expires and changes every two years or something or it will always become a subject of issue.  Keep the home servers for permanent stuff like your home and main war deed on central server.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

I'm down with Epic as long as center server becomes a challenge server that expires and changes every two years or something or it will always become a subject of issue.  Keep the home servers for permanent stuff like your home and main war deed on central server.

I actually really like that, but it would depend on if people want to have the ability to bring items back and forth.

If not, and template kingdoms are the only kingdoms, just have the only way to travel be the elevation portals, that keep the gear on one or the other.

Edited by FranktheTank

Anyone who wants epic to die has an agenda via $$$ and paypal to make even more money from the chaos server/new epic cluster in their eyes.

Real pvp happens when people are not scared to lose their RL stuff.  Bring chaos over to epic and lets call it a true pvp sandbox instead of a place you can steal/loot and transfer it safely off to freedom?  Sounds way more fun.  

If you worry about the money issue freedom brings in, then allow people to transfer stuff over to the epic cluster via code club being the middle man and making a percentage for the king with minimum silver cost transfers.  Everyone wins, and we can hear the people wanting to keep their wallets inflated and not the population inflated stfu.  K thanks!  

After serious discussion with my brain trust, the idea came from a very vulgar and vocal member, that epic would also benefit from a complete and utter wipe including skills, if an update such as this would take over. This would be to prevent a map wipe and mechanics change to just be jammed up with high tier accounts. Epic would again be a completely separate cluster, skill transfers to freedom are already a thing, so no one really loses that much (opinion if you think differently let me know). 

So in addition to the ideas listed in Epic 180, how likely are you to support a full wipe as well?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

After serious discussion with my brain trust, the idea came from a very vulgar and vocal member, that epic would also benefit from a complete and utter wipe including skills, if an update such as this would take over. This would be to prevent a map wipe and mechanics change to just be jammed up with high tier accounts. Epic would again be a completely separate cluster, skill transfers to freedom are already a thing, so no one really loses that much (opinion if you think differently let me know). 

So in addition to the ideas listed in Epic 180, how likely are you to support a full wipe as well?

If that happened, my investment in the game would be gone, except for whatever prem time I had left, and I would gladly take the opportunity to leave Wurm and play a new game.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing for me. :P

I believe without a wipe of at least skills if there was a new pvp map you might as well not bother doing anything at all. If you just add new mechanics in without addressing the issues old accounts engender then nothing changes and you end up with the same accounts dominating and new players will remain getting stomped on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhianna said:

I believe without a wipe of at least skills if there was a new pvp map you might as well not bother doing anything at all. If you just add new mechanics in without addressing the issues old accounts engender then nothing changes and you end up with the same accounts dominating and new players will remain getting stomped on

That was my thought, I see account cycling being brought up a lot, and this would obviously take out the big players.

• Like 1

God damn this is an awesome idea. +1

Im not sure what everyone else will think about this, but what about removing surface mining for this too if it were to go ahead? Reason being to make deed design back the way it was before. A simpler design to go with the more simple gameplay. No token pits or mined down dirtwall perimeters.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

I wonder if this would work as a Wurm Unlimited server...

I hear bad things about PvP cheating in WU. Is it possible to mitigate that?

I dont think so. Its been tried. I think the flaw exists in a lot of the game resources existing client side.

14 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I hear bad things about PvP cheating in WU. Is it possible to mitigate that?

With enough effort, I believe so. Yes.

• Like 1

If last epic people go on their own.. not forcefully being kicked off it..

Maybe epic could be introduced in pve/pvp variation(servers/islands) to gaben's kids on steam?

That should bring a bunch of paying and not.. kids to trash the place and bring some population & money into the game?

Current issue is .. if you bring typical steam kid around, griefing in locals is going to skyrocket on most to.. all servers on freedom ?