Sign in to follow this  
FranktheTank

Epic, Complete 180°

Considering all the hate the Epic Cluster seems to receive, and people demanding that the cluster have something unique to it, which we are well past the mechanics of uniqueness (everyone now can get tomes, moonmetal, and the lot.) Why do we not just make it unique by making it simple?

Why not just take what the game used to be, no moonmetal, tomes, valeri, default gods, etc. (meditation?)  Make that the new server with the current armor changes, and balances people like of which can be picked and chosen. The goal being a more vanilla style of game play.  

This should appease everyone, a fresh map, fresh game, mixed with a refreshing change to what is considered the "end game" content.

Let me know what you think, provide feedback, and feel free to criticize. 

EDIT: This can also be used as a great ground floor for new balance updates, such as the Dual Wielding that Xallo suggested, the clean slate nature encourages experimentation. 

Epic 180° A Return to Normalcy

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 30

Actually the best idea of unique posted. Simple.

• Like 4

A pvp server with no

MEDITATION

MM

TOMES

PLAYER GODS

HOTA

HELL HORSES

This idea is actually brilliant. I can't +1 enough - These are no longer unique features or even features we want in pvp - We ask for nerfs or removals etc...But yeah...Just going back to bare bones of what pvp is would be great.
Build up from that with stability etc but really keep it SIMPLE

• Like 11

Side note: I would like to leave the Rare system in however, I really think its just a fun feature moreso than a game breaking one like the ones Mclovin listed.

If you are not convinced by this idea, I would like to point out two other games,

Runescape, launched its OSRS server based on the 2007 code and content, and it was a resounding success. Gaining many subscribers of players who had already quit up until that point. OSRS is still argued to be the best incarnation of Runescape.

World of Warcraft will soon be launching is highly anticipated "Classic" server returning to the roots of old, World of Warcraft as it was.

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 5

Add no champs and I'm in. :P

And small maps. One aspect of PvP that wasn't obvious until I joined it was the requirement for a significant time commitment, without breaks. The first thing that now comes to mind when someone says "enemy in local" half way across the map is how much non-stop time I'd have to commit to go help.

I don't have hours to burn at the drop of a hat, so smaller maps means less time required to actually join PvP, which reduces one barrier to entry.

By the way, I'd still want some way to enchant grass, just for QoL! :P

• Like 1

Interesting idea.  Maybe get rid of dragons too?  And fix the skill system. 

Are you talking wiping the home servers too?  Or just elevation?

1 hour ago, Sjarn said:

Interesting idea.  Maybe get rid of dragons too?  And fix the skill system. 

Are you talking wiping the home servers too?  Or just elevation?

I think the best thing is a clean wipe, and elevation map resize. But I am not the sole visionary of the idea (as I am counting on the pvp community for support!) so it is based on what everyone else thinks.

Edited by FranktheTank

2 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Add no champs and I'm in. :P

And small maps. One aspect of PvP that wasn't obvious until I joined it was the requirement for a significant time commitment, without breaks. The first thing that now comes to mind when someone says "enemy in local" half way across the map is how much non-stop time I'd have to commit to go help.

I don't have hours to burn at the drop of a hat, so smaller maps means less time required to actually join PvP, which reduces one barrier to entry.

By the way, I'd still want some way to enchant grass, just for QoL! :P

My own personal opinion on Champions is for them to stay, like in the current capacity they exist. There is nothing wrong with Champions, in my opinion.

Edited by FranktheTank

1 hour ago, FranktheTank said:

I think the best thing is a clean wipe, and elevation map resize. But I am not the sole visionary of the idea (as I am counting on the pvp community for support!) so it is based on what everyone else thinks.

I wouldn't wipe the home servers. :(

Champs or not, I like the idea. I would keep the home servers as is myself too - but not a no-go if the decision is a full wipe.

hey i said this like

years ago

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Side note: I would like to leave the Rare system in however, I really think its just a fun feature moreso than a game breaking one like the ones Mclovin listed.

I actually feel the same way about moonmetal. I wouldn't remove it; I'd simply make it more common, maybe even add MM ore veins on the central map.

Other than haves/have-nots, what's the issue with MM?

Another thought: only have uniques on the central map, not the home servers.

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

A pvp server with no

MEDITATION

MM

TOMES

PLAYER GODS

HOTA

HELL HORSES

This idea is actually brilliant. I can't +1 enough - These are no longer unique features or even features we want in pvp - We ask for nerfs or removals etc...But yeah...Just going back to bare bones of what pvp is would be great.

8 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Considering all the hate the Epic Cluster seems to receive, and people demanding that the cluster have something unique to it, which we are well past the mechanics of uniqueness (everyone now can get tomes, moonmetal, and the lot.) Why do we not just make it unique by making it simple?

Why not just take what the game used to be, no moonmetal, tomes, valeri, default gods, etc. (meditation?)  Make that the new server with the current armor changes, and balances people like of which can be picked and chosen. The goal being a more vanilla style of game play.  

This should appease everyone, a fresh map, fresh game, mixed with a refreshing change to what is considered the "end game" content.

Let me know what you think, provide feedback, and feel free to criticize. 

EDIT: This can also be used as a great ground floor for new balance updates, such as the Dual Wielding that Xallo suggested, the clean slate nature encourages experimentation. 

Epic 180° A Return to Normalcy

PLEASE

Keep champs just make it perma death again

• Like 7

Yes, I think perma death champs make sense too.  Are we all just rebuilding the original Epic with a better designed map?

+1 Simple is a nice idea.... Wurm is way to demanding on resources, just to compete at a high level it takes far to much time, money, or both even Imo. I'd probably switch to playing a server like that myself.

• Like 3

infact IIRC when they released meditation on wild back in the day, everyone collectively said "I have to grind for months just to be competitive?"... and this was when everyone thought hate bonus was the only way to be competitive. Before SOTG was even calculated to like sextuple your effective health pool or some dumb ###### like that. Now we have rares, moon metals, hell horses, tomes and 100% perfect pvp gods.

These things only ever drove people out. If I was handier with WU I was going to try and see if I could tease out a way to make a vanilla pvp server that totally removed moon metal, hell horses, rares, tomes, runes, meditation, karma, hota and balance armors and, though I don't even have an inkling as to how this would be done, change the casting difficulties back to what it was pre casting nerf... which I remember many people were upset over. Back when 90 power casts werent that hard to get, all it did was add another grind. Yeah you can get around it nowadays by saccing thousands of veggies, but thats ridiculous. Everyone I asked was interested.

If something like this happens I’ll quit my damn job and become 2012 Holar again. Top shelf ramen and tuna for this guy... please ruin my life again Wurm, I need it.

• Like 8

One of the best ideas for pvp i've heard in a while. Cut out all the added crap and slowly build up from there. Would be nice. I would def love to not feel compelled to use a moon metal suit just to fight. 

I really like this idea, but, good luck getting them to do anything remotely related to PvP.

I'm fairly certain they didn't even merge the servers until Rolf told them to after he was made aware via email of how far the population dropped and he actually realized his livelihood was genuinely affected. Was very odd how that happened just a little bit after they were sent.

If you want any traction, email him personally.

No HOTA either please, I want to be actually conquering the map again, and every map designed with HOTA in mind is a complete and utter failure.

I can also personally attest if this was implemented, myself and ~10-15 others would return with active subscriptions of multiple characters

13 hours ago, enricodandolo said:

infact IIRC when they released meditation on wild back in the day, everyone collectively said "I have to grind for months just to be competitive?"... and this was when everyone thought hate bonus was the only way to be competitive. Before SOTG was even calculated to like sextuple your effective health pool or some dumb ###### like that. Now we have rares, moon metals, hell horses, tomes and 100% perfect pvp gods.

These things only ever drove people out. If I was handier with WU I was going to try and see if I could tease out a way to make a vanilla pvp server that totally removed moon metal, hell horses, rares, tomes, runes, meditation, karma, hota and balance armors and, though I don't even have an inkling as to how this would be done, change the casting difficulties back to what it was pre casting nerf... which I remember many people were upset over. Back when 90 power casts werent that hard to get, all it did was add another grind. Yeah you can get around it nowadays by saccing thousands of veggies, but thats ridiculous. Everyone I asked was interested.

It would work, but, WU PvP servers never gain any traction because the ones that were successful were ruined by either blatant cheating, which we can't enforce, and the others by excellent displays of shitty administration.

Sindusks would have been a very good one as development continued, but, the potential playerbase lost faith because of the other servers they had experienced, and one of the big problems still can only be addressed so much.

Edited by Prophetears

At least (finally) some idea many people agree with, on most aspects. That's unusual.

Edited by Wilczan

I'd love to see a very simple version of the game for PVP, that is easy for players to get into and involved in and this would be that mode.

21 hours ago, Mclavin said:

A pvp server with no

MEDITATION

MM

TOMES

PLAYER GODS

HOTA

HELL HORSES

I would argue about either removing drake/scale or making unique spawns abundant enough that they are not such an expensive commodity. The emphasis being on armour variety such as chain, plate, studded leather and weapons from mauls to swords enabling different play styles.

• Like 1