Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

msg re: weapon used on practice doll

Hi,

I had a very unpleasant lesson today.  My alt was skilling on a practice doll - with a shaft activated - but the shaft should have been equipped - so alt was using a 93ql SUPREME longsword - and in a few hours the weapon went from 0 to 100 damage and was completely destroyed.  The event message read " you cut the doll" and I should have realised that you can't cut with a shaft.  However, it might be an idea to say with which weapon you are using on the doll, as many players have probably lost good weapons this way.

So instead of :  [14:06:42] You maul a practice doll very lightly in the neck.

better would be :  "You maul a practice doll WITH A SHAFT very lightly in the neck"

or instead of:  [13:02:46] You cut a practice doll very lightly in the right calf.

better would be:  "You cut a practice doll WITH A LONGSWORD very lightly in the right calf", etc

I hope this is implemented sooner rather than later, as it really burned to loose a very valuable weapon.

• Like 1

though it's another protecting ourselves from ourselves, the game being a grindy click fest of thousands of clicks a day, human error is easy.  Thusly this is reasonable request to have some safety check. 

Perhaps easy solution is practice doll can ONLY be used with a shaft.  If not equipped, it's not set up properly so won't work.  Ie. can only use shaft and must be equipped, not just activated.  This prevents this from ever happening again.

kinda like rare n supreme enchanted tools being sold to token in error problem.

Edited by Bloodscythe

37 minutes ago, Bloodscythe said:

though it's another protecting ourselves from ourselves, the game being a grindy click fest of thousands of clicks a day, human error is easy.  Thusly this is reasonable request to have some safety check. 

Perhaps easy solution is practice doll can ONLY be used with a shaft.  If not equipped, it's not set up properly so won't work.  Ie. can only use shaft and must be equipped, not just activated.  This prevents this from ever happening again.

kinda like rare n supreme enchanted tools being sold to token in error problem.

with that reasoning we should have pop ups warning us when that skiller tool or shield is about to hit 100 damage, which makes the chance of loosing items to being inattentive moot, how much hand holding does wurm need bloodscythe?

also plenty of new wurm players will skill with there new noobie sword on a practice doll, why limit the weapon choice to use on these and don't forget these dolls need repair from time to time as well

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

There are many things that work well with practice dolls.  I'd think my first way to notice I was using a normal weapon instead of a shaft or belaying pin or many other items would be how much damage the doll was taking or how many of the dolls I was going through.  The shafts don't do nearly as much damage as a normal weapon will do even if the weapon is low quality.

I do not wish that a doll should be limited in what we can use on it personally.

• Like 1

Dolls give weapon skill up to 20, while its a very poor method of getting the skill, it is in fact a way for noobs to get skill so I would be against limiting it to just shafts

• Like 2

How odd, I would have thought the practice doll would have blown up long before a 93 ql sword would. Didnt they used to take a lot of damage? Maybe they should if you use an actual weapon on them?

4 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

How odd, I would have thought the practice doll would have blown up long before a 93 ql sword would. Didnt they used to take a lot of damage? Maybe they should if you use an actual weapon on them?

Id guess he was mindfully repairing the practice doll, while completely unaware the sword was being destroyed. :/

They do still take alot of damage if a weapon is used.  He would have had to be repairing the doll every hit.

On 14/05/2018 at 4:32 PM, Xor said:

Id guess he was mindfully repairing the practice doll, while completely unaware the sword was being destroyed. :/

Exactly right Xor but Pashka is also right - was wondering why i was getting longsword skill gain as well using a shaft, also why the shaft was getting no dmg and indeed had to repair the dolls a lot - only finally realised that i had used the supreme longsword, when the message came up: you have no weapon to fight the doll.

Really silly of me, all round, I admit that, but it really would help if the item being used to bash the doll is shown in the event messages

I'm honestly not sure how this happened. You were paying enough attention to continuously repair the practice doll, but the combination of damage you were doing, lack of damage to the shaft, and gaining sword skills didn't tip you off to check which weapon was actually equipped? There are already so many red flags that you noticed but didn't act upon, for so long that a supreme 93QL longsword managed to take 100 damage?

I mean honestly, you're asking for the combat logs to give more messages about the weapon being used, but if you ignored all those other things, couldn't people ignore the combat log as well?

Combat logs being more specific about the weapon being used could be OK, but in this case, the issue doesn't seem to be the game not telling you something, rather the fact that you didn't act on any of the information it did tell you.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 4

The game already gives warnings about destroying items if you try to put them into the wrong storage type, and also won't let you smelt enchanted items or put them in bulk storage.

I see no reason why the game couldn't also warn you about destroying an item by using it, and not let you break a weapon by attacking with it (or let you destroy a doll by hitting it), perhaps as a configurable option.

9 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

The game already gives warnings about destroying items if you try to put them into the wrong storage type, and also won't let you smelt enchanted items or put them in bulk storage.

I see no reason why the game couldn't also warn you about destroying an item by using it, and not let you break a weapon by attacking with it (or let you destroy a doll by hitting it), perhaps as a configurable option.

LOL WUT?

Damage is a thing already, if you can not spend the time to check your gear for wear and tear you should not even be playing the game.  

Unlike other games you can repair your items and essentially make them last for ever, sure its a hassle having upkeep on items by have to improve the quality from time to time, but a lot of other games you do not get this option. This case is about holding hands and if you can not look after your gear it will blow up.