Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Animal age and speed

So, the wiki says that "Aged animals have been reported to be the fastest around, especially aged huge spiders; anything younger or older will be slower than aged.", but I've since heard this isn't so.

Does animal/mob age ever affect speed? I haven't noticed that at all with older horses (venerable doesn't seem any slower than aged), but I haven't done any rigorous testing with spiders/trolls/etc.

I can't confirm or deny the veracity of any of this, but I would like to mention that MOUNT speed (or speed contributed to a vehicle) is completely distinct from the speed of the creature as it walks around on its own.

For hitched/mounted speed, age shouldn't really have a direct impact.

As for natural creature speed by themselves, I'll need to look into that a bit later.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

Age doesn't effect ride speed directly, it does influence the mounts str which can indirectly effect it through carry weight, venerable should be strongest in this regard.

For mob walk speed, it goes up each stage, aged is 1.3x as fast as young iirc, and then it goes back down older it gets.

• Like 1

Age does not affect the strength of a mount. Animal body strength is more or less constant.

• Like 1

Was talking to Virusmd about this today.  Hey said if you use POK skill you can see horse stats. As they get older the stamina (game wise or RL wise) they get more stamina and seem to be able to sustain and have longer burst speeds?

• Like 1

Unless something has changed.  Aged is the fastest.  I doubt that the variance is much though or you wouldn't see anyone ride anything other than aged horses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pashka said:

Unless something has changed.  Aged is the fastest.  I doubt that the variance is much though or you wouldn't see anyone ride anything other than aged horses.

Aged is fastest, but that's only for the animal's natural walking speed. When hitched or mounted, a completely different calculation is used, so using a Venerable horse won't give you a disadvantage there. Thank God.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

shoot i always switch out my horses when they get old very rarely unless i really feel attached do i keep using them for travel works for me so i thought...