Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Do you think a better PVE or PVP end-game will keep you and new players in wurm?

Do you think a better PVE or PVP end-game will keep you and new players in wurm?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a better PVE or PVP end-game will keep you and new players in wurm?

• PVP
    • PVE
    • Both PVP and PVE
    • Trading / Market
    • I don't know
    • A whole crafting/skill system rework
    • None of the above

Follow-up poll of the market poll. What will keep you playing wurm?

After we find the results of this one, we can come up with some realistic sub-polls to see what people think needs to be done.

Edited by whykillme

The people that play Wurm is what keeps me playing, not end game goals

• Like 13

For me it would be "Meaningful ways to encourage cooperative play and banding together in the Freedom Cluster".

• Like 3

PvP pretty much has an infinite end-game, because the fighting keeps getting more difficult as your enemies get better. I'm not sure about PvE though, the end game content there is basically unique fighting and it's not that difficult to get into.
In terms of crafting and such, I'm not sure - I doubt I've ever gotten to end game in terms of that, and for me it always been a mean towards an end, which to me has always been kingdom vs kingdom PvP.

• Like 2

There's no "none of the above" answer. PVP holds no interest for me, PVE is eh, I don't engage with community much. I just like having my little Wurm lands and pursuing my own goals in my own time. 

• Like 7

Do you think apples are better or oranges?

• Like 1

I don't PvP, but I voted for PvP and PvE anyhow... so many people complain about it that I don't even have to PvP to see / hear that it is not at its best.

As for PvE - I would love a reason to fortify my deed, have a stronger survival aspect in the game... once we crossed the newbie experience the game is just about building shiney stuff and grinding skills, but imo we lack a real reason for this high end stuff ... a real challenge.

Ok, we got Rifts and uniques but uniques are usually a private thing (not complaining, but thats how it is and I don't even have enough friends in Wurm to try a unique, even if I ever would stumble over one) and Rifts are a step in the right direction but thats about it.

The discussion has been around before as well I think, when people wanted Valrei Monsters on Freedom and that - some people just prefer to have their peace and build stuff without having something come along and smash their toys and I can agree with that.

It would have to be tuned properly so that they do not bulldoze peoples places, just a mild attack... enable automatic defense towers on deeds (besides spirit templars) and maybe have those mobs dormant unless someone in local logs in even so those mobs do not destroy a deed while people are offline.

Or as people suggested before a Hunting Server, but make it like Epic so you can go there via a portal (but bring all your inventory, maybe even horse and cart) and go do stuff there with stronger monsters.... or build an outpost there that can be attacked by waves... idk... something like that? ^^;

I don't know, just rambling a bit... but a stronger more engaging PvE endgame would be nice.

As things are my current "endgame" goal is only to get my Chef in a spot where I can buff up with enough Food Affinities and then grind skills and decorate my deed and well.. yea.. hmm... thats it. ^^;

• Like 4

idk, pvp isn't really end game - PVP could benefit PVE end game if anything

We are past the point of "end game content"

Focus should now be on either: 

Moving away from Java

Encouraging new player growth

Reworking the game entirely

• Like 5

id like a wave in front of my boat 'when moving i don't like oversized stuff eg giant  aniamals  I like the way wurm is a bit real  in its ways 'greatest help to a new player is to tell to swim away from danger .when I was stuck u came to my aid I really liked that it showed me I might like this game. the price could be dropped a bit per mth  .at start town concentrate on a good start help area first 5min is make it or break it for a neebee .a free dog to help protect a bit at start could be good more fish in water big n small n sharks .as for end game I like endless that's why I'm here .I do a full on job in real iife n just want to putt around doing mellow stuff called relaxin .I no a lot want full on so I guess 2 diff games the thing.ps look at the graft pve rules 

Edited by christopher

For me endgame is (as in top of my wishlist)... 

10k cloth squares... 

3k string

3k hull planks

10k pegs

5k tenons 

5k planks

10k large nails

10k small nails

1k charcoal 

.... you get the idea... 

ZEPPELIN with a 3-story 7x15 cabin 

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure what is meant with end-game here, to be perfectly honest. One of the things that makes Wurm so unique is that there is no end-game provided by the game, instead each player creates their own goals and so called end-game and works towards those. 

What will keep me in the game is the same thing that has kept me here for the last 11 years, and that's the community as well as the freedom of choice and the constant development of the Wurm game and world as a whole. Watching kingdoms come and go, watching deeds come and go, going and coming back myself to discover all the new stuff, that's what keeps me here. 

For new players, I believe that it's not so much the end-game that needs to be looked at but rather the beginnings. The tutorial needs to actually teach them how to play the game, what we have right now is not working for that in my humble opinion. There should be some guidance on how to get started, because that's where new players come and go the most. You spawn in a completely new game with no idea what to do, so what do you do? You quit and say the game is crap. So, in my opinion, if new players are better introduced to Wurm and its ways, THAT is what will keep them in the game, not some end-game content.

If I had to pick something I'd like reworked in terms of end-game, it's personal goals. We have a system in place with that that would potentially allow us to create personal quests with rewards and such, and for me personally, that would feel amazing. You know, those times your deed is done or you're bored with it and you don't know what to do so you go to other games to find fun? Quests given by the game, perhaps daily tasks, monthly tasks, individual quests, would give you something to do in those times and perhaps carry you over the time you're bored.

• Like 7

to be honest, there is no PVE in this game. PVE is more of an annoyance than anything else. It poses no threat to you, no challange, no nothing. I tanked a dragon for 15 minutes untill i got the help required to kill it in 10 minutes and that's considered one of the most threatening mobs in Wurm, please....You go to a PVE server and all you do is run around and call upon your guards , they'll take care of that troll for you, honesty, there's no risk on PVE, NONE, if you're a 1 fighting skill account you can kill 99% of all the mobs by just doing a "./help" in chat.  I voted for "Better PVP" because this is no case of "making PVE better" because there's no PVE to begin with

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

to be honest, there is no PVE in this game. PVE is more of an annoyance than anything else. It poses no threat to you, no challange, no nothing. I tanked a dragon for 15 minutes untill i got the help required to kill it in 10 minutes and that's considered one of the most threatening mobs in Wurm, please....You go to a PVE server and all you do is run around and call upon your guards , they'll take care of that troll for you, honesty, there's no risk on PVE, NONE, if you're a 1 fighting skill account you can kill 99% of all the mobs by just doing a "./help" in chat.  I voted for "Better PVP" because this is no case of "making PVE better" because there's no PVE to begin with

What an honest and accurate depiction of PvE.

1 hour ago, Gladiator said:

Best post I've read in awhile, game needs to be harder one of the reasons I came to PVP.

If they attleast got the Valrei mobs back to Chaos we could have some hard PVE encounter in the Nogumps, i miss trying to fight them solo.

• Like 1

I can get behind some of the survival/PVE suggestions here. I wish it was more survival-y. I would change servers for a weather-having/variety of landscapes/some more dangerous areas type server, like the April Fools post, tbh, though maybe not that extreme. (I know WU has those, I just like WO too much) I don't need to kill hard stuff, personally, but some more varied experiences in weather and effects, local beasts, soil quality? would be great. Not end-game, but all through the game. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Eltaran said:

For me it would be "Meaningful ways to encourage cooperative play and banding together in the Freedom Cluster".

This. New people stay far longer when they have a group to belong to.

I don't really think the endgame is the problem when it comes to player retention; I think it's the arduous process of getting there, and the hurdles new players have to clear, especially since it takes so much longer to build or do much when you're new. Belonging to a good village helps.

12 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

I can get behind some of the survival/PVE suggestions here. I wish it was more survival-y. I would change servers for a weather-having/variety of landscapes/some more dangerous areas type server, like the April Fools post, tbh, though maybe not that extreme. (I know WU has those, I just like WO too much) I don't need to kill hard stuff, personally, but some more varied experiences in weather and effects, local beasts, soil quality? would be great. Not end-game, but all through the game. 

I've said this before, but they really did miss an opportunity for this with Xanadu. The map is so large that meaningful regional variation was possible... things like sprawling deserts, realistic mountain ranges, steppe plateaus, volcanic island chains, etc. would have been possible given the size, but instead the server is basically just a random heightmap with no discernible geographical patterns. I think this sort of geographical diversity, and interesting features, could have helped a lot, and would have encouraged meaningful exploration, but what's done is done, I guess.

• Like 6

None of the above , end game to me will be on my death bed or Wurm folds .

Seen this question asked in so many other games , it gets to the point you may as well cut and paste to each site..

And if there was a end game how many people would just quit after reaching it ???

15 hours ago, Tedzogh said:

If they attleast got the Valrei mobs back to Chaos we could have some hard PVE encounter in the Nogumps, i miss trying to fight them solo.

its cool until you learn how to properly cheese them, such as drakespirits, where you just stand at the edge of combat range and they never AOE stun anymore, so you just take no more damage.

While valrei mobs are cool, they aren't really special. The only ones that are dangerous are the ones that Rolf said "###### it" and just gave them huge stuns that hit for like 30+ damage through champ/sotg, that can also stun up to 5 times in a second, and one stun lasts for like 10 seconds. Theres nothing special about it, nothing to avoid, nothing to learn, you're going to struggle with it with the best account in the game or the worst. And yes, I'm still a bit salty about the time a party of 5 nogumps spawned on me, and within .2 seconds i was stunned by two of them multiple and less than 25% health (mind you, in scale, champion, SOTG, with just about every damage reducing valrei item that exists), and still had to burn several farwalker charges to just karma home because my oakshelled hellhorse hit the ground before i even got hit.

Just use archery to kill them, and it takes like 5 seconds, but yeah. PvE in this game is a literal joke, you can kill pretty much anything with a butchering knife and a shield.

Please no on the Valrei mobs though, they really did add nothing, and, at least, everyone i've ever played with has been nothing but disappointed with them. They were largely relevant, or very annoying, or spawned on you during PvP and caused you to lose the fight because the aggro system is very fickle. (The amount of gear we lost because of 10+ mobs spawning on us, and ONLY going for us is unreal.)

Edited by Prophetears
  • Like 2

In my opinion, the way to a better PvE "end game" doesnt mean getting harder critters.

But rather to have the critters work in groups to increase the difficulty.

This could be combined with a hunting server where the groups of critters actively attack settlements.

• Like 1

It's not about one of mentioned options. It's a complex case, that needs at least a couple of options. Allow us to check multiple boxes.

At least on Epic, I'd love to see creation/imping failure removed. That would be a huge step to removing the frustration, and making imping fun.

(Prior to the Epic update, I had the same frustration trying to grind skills, due to the RNG nature of getting 1-39 rolls. Afterwards, however, skilling became fun for me, because it's a solid return on investment, and not fraught with the feeling of gambling my time.)

The other thing I'd change is enchanting. At a high enough skill, I'd love to be able to target decent but lower casts (70/80), and be pretty much guaranteed to get them, while maybe getting 90/100s on "rare" casts.

As it is now, I'll be targeting 70+ on something (like leather for crafting), and instantly get a 100+ cast when I really didn't want it, and other times I'll burn through veggies trying to just get an 80+ cast (with 95+ effective channeling). It's maddening. :P