Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Do you think a better PVE or PVP end-game will keep you and new players in wurm?

Do you think a better PVE or PVP end-game will keep you and new players in wurm?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a better PVE or PVP end-game will keep you and new players in wurm?

• PVP
    • PVE
    • Both PVP and PVE
    • Trading / Market
    • I don't know
    • A whole crafting/skill system rework
    • None of the above

6 hours ago, Roccandil said:

I'd love to see creation/imping failure removed.

This.

What if... for creation.... you use the old success chance equation (tldr: skill vs ql) but as a simple "can" and "can't".  For "can" results, make the success chance a relatively draconian timer modifier.  So making nails at 80BS will be the same million per hour speed, but trying to create a wagon just grazing that 1% chance is gonna be a 2 minute timer (balanced so a 60FS/60QL combo will still give a classical 2-5s timer deal).

As for imping, once again, use success chance as a modifier for a flat figure of how much it's gonna be imped by that action, with some effect on the timer as well (not as draconian as creating, naturally, but a 1% imp would still be a solid 30 seconds-ish).  No fails, just ql increase per imp asymptotically nearing 0.

Well, my 2 copper with full disclosure on my bias which is that Wurm's biggest flaw is the excessive use of RNG.  More new players would stick around with my "no-RNG" idea as it's only slow timers they start off on, not fail after fail after fail after fail WITH long timers.  Old players can quickly explain that "it gets better with time" without the added "then you start imping past 70 and it's hell all over again"...... AND.... 

.... to stay on topic, doing stuff past q90 wouldn't be a bad experience, that's a good start for "endgame" to me.

• Like 3

On a totally separate note....

"Endgames" that would rock:

Make taming and dominating great again.... tame a faster spider, dominate a slower scorp, use them to finally go up that mountain.  Make taming spiders limited to a recipe-type food off say, trolls, so that it takes some cooking to even set that up.  Make riding a bear reduce your aggro radius.  Make livestock avoid wolves so you can plant them strategically around your fields to keep your livestock from bunching up at the corners and fences =P 

On that note:  Give fo/vyn/mag more day-to-day buff spells.  40-80 Faith range but with low favor costs.
Say, mags give you a 5-10% ore QL bonus for 30-60 minutes, depending on the priest's levels... have other similar diff/favorcost spells for mining speed and chance of gems, "can only have one buff at once unless you're the actual priest casting on yourself"...  Fo same thing but for naturey outdoorsey crittery stuff... Vyn for exp and imping results and paving because for some reason she loves roads... 

In other words, give priests something to sell for 10-50c as they wander around and run into random heathens.

Pimping, which ain't easy.  Give high-end jewelers recipes (with some process to find or hunt, i say rifts and uniques) to make trimming kits for ships, carts, and wagons.  High level stuff of course, and can only be added successfully by high end ship builders and fine carpenters, AND they need high base carpentry.

Something along the lines of making your own hota statues and obelisque-ish builds with really really high masonry/stone cutting, except they're neither the hota statues or the actual mission structures.  Once again, could be tied to rift recipe drops and such.

On that note, tweak the score rewards per kill down and just quadruple the amount of mobs already.  Bring the laughter back to the slaughter.  Hell, tier out the rifts a bit.  Have lower level and endgame rifts as separate events.   More events is NEVER bad.

On that same note and then I /rantoff for now:  Give uniques the ability to spawn waves of ads like in any self-respecting MMO ffs <3

/rantoff

quit debuffing ###### on PvE when it's abused in PvP... both gameplays should be separated entirely.

• Like 2

On that note here's one for PvE AND PvP.....

High-end alchemist mixing overly complicated high level recipes for a few poisons that work REALLY nicely with arrows to debuff and/or erode hp on targets.

Those same alchemists gleefully selling people the antidotes and if the devs get bored, even buffing potions to give the priests a bit of competition.

Edit:  And arrow enchants just to watch the alchemists rage ^_^

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 3

If end game is something fun to do with your friends when you have multiple 99 skills and high end gear and tools, I voted for PvE, PvP is no interest for me.

I think there should be challenging things to do in small teams, with your friends, not community events, I dont like to be forced to play with people I don't like. It could be stronger creatures, mini events, what ever, something fun that keeps you busy, ohh that a MMO game :P No instances please :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mordraug said:

On that note here's one for PvE AND PvP.....

High-end alchemist mixing overly complicated high level recipes for a few poisons that work REALLY nicely with arrows to debuff and/or erode hp on targets.

Those same alchemists gleefully selling people the antidotes and if the devs get bored, even buffing potions to give the priests a bit of competition.

Edit:  And arrow enchants just to watch the alchemists rage ^_^

+1 to alchemy being an item fountain for more consumable desirables. :) A short list of possibilities:

- Skillgain potions: additional exp gain to all skills (stacks with all other bonuses)

- Statgain potions

- WoA potions (feedable to animals! :P )

- CR potions

- DR potions

- Nightvision potions

- Reveal creatures potions (highlights creatures above/below ground)

- Weapon coatings

- Armor coatings

And so on. Presumably duration/intensity would be affected by QL, and the better potions, as Mordraug suggested, would require more ingredients, which could itself boost the economy for alchemical raw materials.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roccandil said:

And so on. Presumably duration/intensity would be affected by QL, and the better potions, as Mordraug suggested, would require more ingredients, which could itself boost the economy for alchemical raw materials.

That's the idea too yep, create civilian and combat markets so to speak =D

There really does need to be a big * next to my PvE saying "actual priest content, not geared towards pet alts"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

There really does need to be a big * next to my PvE saying "actual priest content, not geared towards pet alts"

That's why my spell ideas' effects are all skill dependent.  An half-made priest alt will give you 1% boosts while a full-fledged priest will be passing the 5% mark easily.

add chicken coops & cash shop selling hats @CodeClub

that would keep me playing wurm, and spend more money

I'm the idiot that will just keep playing cause at it's base in it's short comings still amazing game..that is until i  just one day have an epiphany and abruptly quit.  I think this game sorta is like brussel sprouts.  they are an amazing underrated vegetable very savoury but you either love or hate them as an acquired taste.  I don't think there are elements in this game that if changed would make new players that leave , stay overall. exodus of new players is more about their playstyle preference to games and this is not fast enough or reaffirming instant gratification enough.  you can't appeal to people you already don't have on your side basically.

that said for the life of me i wish they'd monetize the game with micro transactions of fluff stuff like hair styles, bedazzle ornamentation items, whatever , people love it, it affects the game nothing in spirit. fuels a revenue stream towards marketing and staff talent

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

...I think this game sorta is like brussle sprouts...

I had to like your post just for that! :P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mordraug said:

That's why my spell ideas' effects are all skill dependent.  An half-made priest alt will give you 1% boosts while a full-fledged priest will be passing the 5% mark easily.

That works well in theory, but you would need a method for priests to skill that isn't just based on creation ticks.  Otherwise, you'd still see a crafter priesting for a few weeks being more powerful than a priest who has eked it out for years.

Whats the difference between market, whole crafting system rework, and PvE? is PvE only referring to fighting mobs or PvE world.

Dunno, atm I think, and I am kinda saddened I don't see more posts related to this subject, but we are really losing players fast and the new ones don't stick along for long. They buy prem for a month for 2 silvers, play a few days then leave.

Tbh for me the most relevant discussion among the community right now that eclipses all others like : cosmetic changes to walls, ships, furniture, pvp changes, pve changes or endgame, graphic fixes, etc all those are irrelevant compared to the fact this game is now losing more players than gaining them. The entire focus on the devs and loyal community is to figure out how to get more players to at least get a stable core of +5000 or more for the game, now it's from what I'm estimating around 1200 players left. This isn't stable. It's not viable. 

Any other discussion other than advertising wurm and making it more attractive to new players : e.g. tutorial, first few days as a wurmian, etc, I find any other discussion pointless. 

The end game isn't the issue really tbh. It might help, sure, but won't fix anything if there aren't players to play wurm. As for retaining players, it will fail 100%. Can't retain an ever dwindling player base. People lose interest. People play other games. There's a turnover rate, you need new players, not just focus on the few left. Bars don't remain open even if they have 5 loyal customers. 

Kinda like being on a sinking ship and someone asking people if they want green tea or fruit tea. Is that really the priority? Or do people  just don't care or are denying this? 

• Like 3

Also wanna add that the fact that Epic died isn't an isolated event, it's just a precedent for a more problematic issue with Wurm atm. It's foretelling , if nothing changes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Also wanna add that the fact that Epic died isn't an isolated event, it's just a precedent for a more problematic issue with Wurm atm. It's foretelling , if nothing changes. 

100% agree.

10 hours ago, elentari said:

Also agree

heres my two cents .. i voted none of the above as i think community is the most important element we need to consider.. so i still think we need a buddy system for new players to make them feel less overwhelmed i myself was adopted an shown the ropes many of you can say the same.. some player that took the time to offer you what help they could and adopt said newbie into the community.. thats the way to save the game and the reason i stick around.. i like seeing all your names in the forums and i am ecstatic when i see you in local as i sail or cart on by and i think someone should promote this aspect of our game better because it is our strength and what keeps good players around a long time whether you live on a mountain or in a village as i do... we as players need to include the new ones make them apart of the game and if they choose to do it alone as some do then all the power to them..

one thing i would like to see would be removing priest restrictions so that any character can reach a fuller endgame.

that would put wealth in the hands of players as each alt is suddenly more valuable and each player has more potential

its always bothered me that we have all these skills we can explore all of  them but to cast spells we must give them all up,

i would rather pay more premium for one character that could do more than have to play an alt to experience the whole game

playing multiple alts just gets exhausting after a while

there should still be different gods so the possibility to work together is still a thing and people who want to play alts can still do that, those alts will just be more enjoyable.

• Like 4

Everyone would become a priest then. Which would be kind of boring.

4 hours ago, griper said:

Everyone would become a priest then. Which would be kind of boring.

Unprofitable for many, sure, but it's working just fine on WU servers.

Clarification edit:  Everyone's a priest, but you still gotta find a proper channeler for a lot of things.  

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 2

Boring? Not for new players who just want to be able to do stuff without starting multiple accounts.

I don't mind classes, but priests have very narrow specializations, which itself feels like a gameplay imbalance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Unprofitable for many, sure, but it's working just fine on WU servers.

Clarification edit:  Everyone's a priest, but you still gotta find a proper channeler for a lot of things.  

What you essentially end up with is a series of classes based on whichever god you worship; i.e. a ton of Nahjo characters and the odd Vynora/Paa character.

28 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

What you essentially end up with is a series of classes based on whichever god you worship; i.e. a ton of Nahjo characters and the odd Vynora/Paa character.

I wouldn't mind that, actually. It's not ideal, but I think it's better than what we have.