Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Measuring jugs hold more than their actual volume

Measuring jugs weigh 0.30kg (the same as a pottery jar) yet hold 10 liters of liquid.

More importantly, they hold 10 liters of fluid even though they only take up 80 milliliters(!) of volume, causing them to be able to hold 125 times their volume in liquid. A pottery jar, by contrast, is 2000 milliliters in volume, the same amount it can hold.

To put it in slightly different terms: A measuring jug weighs as much as a pottery jar, is 1/25 the volume of a pottery jar, yet holds 5 times as much.

I'm not sure how much of this is buggy or just ill-considered. A container capable of holding 10 liters should obviously be at least 10 liters in size, but is actually incredibly, disturbingly small, to the point where people are using them in magic chests for easier decay-free liquid storage. Meanwhile, you'd also think that a container that holds 10 liters, with extra mechanisms to adjust size, would weigh more than a 2-liter jar, but it doesn't.

Help?

this is fine, dont nerf - actually think its intentional btw

11 minutes ago, Niki said:

this is fine, dont nerf - actually think its intentional btw

What leads you to believe this is intentional? Just curious. Referring specifically to the greater-capacity-than-volume part, which during the fountain pan days was pretty unequivocally decided was never to be intended behavior.

When I see people carrying measuring jugs with fountains inside of them, I'll be concerned.  Until then, working as intended to me.

Sounds like an object that can expand, and the volume you’re considering too small is at its smallest point. 

Id expect that the volume would increase as the item filled. (But Wurm code might be unable to account for this) which is why it seems wrong, but is working as intended. 

Im just taking a stab at an explanation that doesn’t inject ANOTHER nerf into the game though. Lol

2 hours ago, Xor said:

Sounds like an object that can expand, and the volume you’re considering too small is at its smallest point. 

Id expect that the volume would increase as the item filled. (But Wurm code might be unable to account for this) which is why it seems wrong, but is working as intended. 

Im just taking a stab at an explanation that doesn’t inject ANOTHER nerf into the game though. Lol

I was under the impression that the measuring jug's "actual" volume didn't change when you change the setting. I could swear it didn't, but I might be wrong, or may this has changed.