Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Does a strong economy contribute to your fun in Wurm?

Does a strong economy contribute to your fun in Wurm?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Does a strong economy contribute to your fun in Wurm?

• A strong economy is essential for me to have fun in Wurm.
    • I like being able to trade with others occasionally. It is neither essential nor can I completely forgo the option of trade to have fun.
    • My enjoyment in wurm is not in anyway linked to trading with others.

Lately, I see a lot of talk about the economy. The part that scares me the most regarding this talk is its essentially a bunch of hardcore nerfs all so people can start selling things at higher prices again. For me, selling things isn't important and I don't want the game to become more limiting/tedious/cumbersome all so prices might go back up again. I honestly could care less if I can sell things to people. I wanted to put this poll up so people can simply voice their opinion without fear of having to deal with some forum argumentive loud mouth.

• Like 3

Not at all.

Played since like 05/06, Played religiously since 2010.

Since 2010 i've maybe given other players a total of 30 silver. Economy is actually, largely, and mostly completely irrelevant where i play the game. I don't think i've ever actually even purchased anything I -needed- or really wanted, it was moreover just because I was lazy and they were a good friend of mine.

Edited by Prophetears
  • Like 2

"My enjoyment in wurm is not in anyway linked to trading with others."

Some might be shocked by that but I actually have a job in RL the only thing I use Wurm silver for is to buy shiny objects for my freedom deed. If I do sell excessive amounts of rares I buy more decorations usually with the silver. Or I toss into upkeep.

I actually quite enjoy the market, as it can give a good reason to interact with others and create items and skills that otherwise I wouldn't bother with. Since wurm doesn't have quests or other goals set by the game, finding out what other players want and striving to create that can be an entertaining way to play. However its by no means necesary to do so by market, I also enjoy filling requests for kingdom mates on the pvp servers or setting a personal goal to grind a skill or craft a certain thing.

• Like 4

My problem is that things of great value have been a lie. I see those rare items go for top dollar then all of a sudden you see them get fixed or deemed overpowered and replaced or nerfed. Somehow people get wind of it and take advantage of those that dont know.

More on topic. The economy was wrecked when wurm prices skyrocketed to compensate for VAT taxes. I was more willing to trade around before that but not anymore.

Its good the way it is. A newb buying into the game gets alot more from their coin then they ever did before. They also get a lot more handouts from village mates because the items have no value. Anything to encourage newbies is good

• Like 2

To me the economy is the only reason to not play unlimited. 

• Like 2

A strong economy is a feature of many games. Lacking it does not "break" the game, but it also means that the stress of player attention and desires will press even harder on the remaining features.

A strong economy is one where participation is meaningful at all levels. A economy where the only activity is the top selling to the bottom is not strong.

• Like 2

The economy doesn't matter to me. I can afford to pay prem without selling things and I don't buy a ton of stuff. I did sell leather working for awhile, did ok but it actually lowered my enjoyment - spent all my time imping instead of running around bugging the ###### out of my allies :)

• Like 1

Might wanna change that forum sig then, Wilca :P

It's not about earning (more) silver - having a currency that you also sell for RL cash was the most shitty game design decision ever in my personal book. It's about the MM part in MMO. At least for me - I like interdependency and making stuff other people can use. If I want to play a single-player game there's far better ones that do not have a monthly cost attached...

Not really, it's nice to have a bustling market tho, then you can buy the items you can't craft by selling an item you can. 

item for item is cool, doesn't always have to be silver. 
It was great fun having my different contacts on serenity, some would want platesets for steel mine doors or saddles in return of bows, wasn't really about what silver you had but what items you could and they couldn't.

Edited by Mclavin

I love to play Wurm for the enjoyment not to make money but I do understand that people can make money to make playing possible. If I am honest it is nice to be able to buy a tool with a little extra using money gained through foraging etc. but I do not need trade.

One thing I think may help Wurm is an expansion of bartering / swapping such as... want to swap a 70q rake for 100 stone bricks. That would surely be what people did in the early-Middle Ages?

So, seeings the results of this post, lets change all posts to 

How can we make wurm more enjoyable for new players, and create a fun end-game for everyone that keeps players in the game

• Like 3

Yeah the game for a lot of people moaning about the market is purely on the silver aspect. Prices are dumb high and they haven't came down with whats now available feature wise.

2.5s for 0.37lump of ada??????

• Like 1

I like the idea of trade, I like the idea of crafting, I like the idea of building infrastructure to facilitate trade. It reminds me of my career, which I love.

However I have never really focused on it, I have been playing for about 10 years now, but more lately on and off. I played on both PVP and Freedom, with more time on PVP servers. There you learn, (if you are in a good group) that items are simply tools of efficiency and not really worth buying or selling that which can benefit your group. As such an economy was never a big deal other than to peer at what your new rare longsword you looted is worth to others.

13 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Might wanna change that forum sig then, Wilca :P

What sig? lol

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 3:43 PM, Niki said:
"My enjoyment in wurm is not in anyway linked to trading with others."

Some might be shocked by that but I actually have a job in RL the only thing I use Wurm silver for is to buy shiny objects for my freedom deed. If I do sell excessive amounts of rares I buy more decorations usually with the silver. Or I toss into upkeep.

So buying the decorations doesn't contribute to your enjoyment?

OP isn't asking "do you make real money in Wurm," he's asking if trading makes Wurm more fun. You answered yes.

A strong economy (whatever that is) isn't really important to me and trading overall isn't something I consider to be fun, but I do it every now and then because digging up around ten thousand dirt a month isn't fun, so I'd rather buy that in bulk. Everything else I prefer to gather/create myself as much as possible, for that extra "sense of pride and accomplishment" . I used to actively sell stuff in the past, but in the end I couldn't be bothered spending time restocking merchants, mailing stuff and making stuff to order any more as the amount of free time I have decreased greatly over the years, while the amount of disposable income increased greatly.

I made the mistake of caring about the economy too much once in Eve Online, do everything I could to pay for premium through in game money. I burned out hard thanks to that. It's a two edged sword that I'd rather not fall on again.

I only play games if I can make money with them. Wurm has lost this potential, which made it kinda boring for me.

18 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

I only play games if I can make money with them.

LOL. :) Reminds me of the old Abbott and Costello routine, "Ya gotta have dough to loaf..."

Edited by Roccandil
  • Like 1