Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

WU - Link

Currently WO is competing with WU, never a good thing to have two of your own social products competing for the same userbase.

So here is the suggestion (and I suspect it will get universally panned, but oh well).

Allow users to link their WU account to their WO (give each copy of WU a unique key that can be attached to a single WO character); that character receives an enhanced free game (skillcap up to 50, or something like that).

This may help lure some of those WU folk back to WO; reward those who supported WO development (by purchasing WU), and still allow premium status to be a core notion for later game content.  It also avoids the whole "this will encourage alt abuse", as a single copy of WU costs more than a couple of months of WO (usually the purchase one makes for a throwaway alt).

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 5

Sure, one "WO-50-cap-char/WU-purchase" would be good.

A skillcap of 20 is so 2009 anyways.

Let them taste a bit more of WO, they have WU anyways, so they already have acces to everything there. So still capping non-prem players in WO at such a low lvl to push them towards prem by putting features just out of range, isnt cutting it anymore.

Current WO playerbase is pretty solidly skilled, so having an influx of 50-capped accounts wouldnt influence much in a bad way. It would be nicer for new players to WO, because lots of timers on actions are allot more "playable" at 50skill.

Could be good for old players sitting on lots of silver to, having more bulk offered on the market or faster timer slave...euh...workers.

DEVs could even add some new stuff that unlocks for them (and us older players) at 50+skill, so they have something more to look forward to then sailing a big boat or riding a wagon.

Edited by Lycanthropic

I think this is an original idea that may encourage players to enjoy both sides of Wurm. I also think your idea for the enhanced skill-cap is an option to be considered for players that have already in some way supported Wurm Online albeit via WU.

Your idea is deserving of consideration as it potentially allows both aspects of Wurm to work together rather than against one another.

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

It also avoids the whole "this will encourage alt abuse", as a single copy of WU costs more than a couple of months of WO (usually the purchase one makes for a throwaway alt).

Considering it was sold in a $1 bundle, that statements pretty false. Quite a lot of WO players also own WU so they could just chuck it on an alt, priest with 50 channeling fills pretty much any deed-related work you do with them, excluding enchants, but you'd have an extra 10 silver a month to spend on them so doesn't really matter. Not to mention you can find a key for well under a dollar too, so it brings in the issue of people making bots that can now get up to 50 skill instead of 20 without having to risk spending money on premium.

I think you have the basis of a good idea here Etherdrifter, that being to give WU players some additional benefit if they also join WO through that Steam ID. Even the logon screen for WU has a link to WO right on it, thus obviously promoting the game. To encourage this Linked account arrangement there are many possible incentives that could be arranged. It just comes down to the Devs taking the time to consider the value of this association and come up with something meaningful that would encourage some WU players to take advantage of it.

One thing to remember though, WU is very much a different player experience due to the much faster skill gains, action timers and mods available in contrast to WO. This is what holds a good number of them to WU and what WO will never be able to offer due to WU's diversity of game play in these respects. Even though I still play WO with my Premium account and deeds, most of my Wurm time is spent within WU for these reasons, so nothing that could be done with this "Linking" idea would change my focus. For those who have only experienced WU though your idea may have some merit to give WO a try.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I guess spamming alts with 50 skills on WU and bring those to WO is a good thing. I dont know much of WU except i bought it for 0,42€ and all i have done there is giving my chars 100 skills instantly and messing around, but sure some reward or motivator to WU players would be cool to get them in WO.

and WU is still being sold around 0,50€

Edited by Themystrix

My 2c for what it's worth.  Although it's a nice idea to try and get some of the WU people to WO, or bring back some of the players who have jumped ship, I can't see any practical way to actually put it into practice.  The reason being, as Ayes pointed out, the diversity of the WU servers, public and private.

The WU servers are all different and run by people of different mindsets. I have no experience with any of the pvp servers so I can't speak to that and have no idea what any of them are like.  From what I've seen though, some of them seem to have some very interesting and innovative ideas for wurm pvp. One "almost" tempted me to try it. lol. My comments here are mainly regarding the pve servers, although some are mixed pve/pvp.

Some are vanilla and no different from WO except maybe a few added conveniences and the fact they're free, and/or a token small increase in skill gain & action timers, but still run their servers with the same restrictive and anal mindset as WO. (some of them sell in-game goodies for "donations"). 

Some servers are more difficult than WO with all sorts of obstacles and hindrances for "survival" purposes, up to and including perma-death.  Some have lycanthropy.

A few are extremely fast in both skill and timers with few, if any, restrictions on anything.

Some are just played single player on a private server and as Themystrix said, give themselves instant 100 in everything. (I don't think those folks count as the target audience for this suggestion but there it is, they're out there). 

Then there's the majority that fall in between the extremes with moderate skill gain and timers increase, some conveniences and common sense removal of the typical WO aggravations. You know, the aggravations that typically have you cursing all devs, past and present.

And that's just some of the diversity due to server mods. Add to that the client mods available and quite honestly I just can't see the average WU player wanting to play WO except maybe a few from the more restrictive WU servers.

Those who have already played WO will already know why they're playing WU instead. Those who haven't, may or may not like WO depending on the type of server they come from and the mods they're accustomed to.  Those playing on the vanilla (or even harder) servers might be good candidates, but I don't see how this suggestion could be implemented to only include those people.

I don't know any other way to put this except honestly and bluntly, but after playing WU, trying to log in my WO account and play for any length of time is like jogging along a road on a 5 speed horse and suddenly finding myself on foot running across tar carrying too much in my inventory. 

I just don't think that WU players are good targets for new business in WO.  Better to target people new to Wurm altogether.

edit: Just wanted to add that I am one of those hold-outs who resisted WU for a very long time (mainly because of my aversion to Steam).  Once I overcame that aversion and gave it a try, it was like a breath of fresh air for me. If the typical WU converts from WO are anything like me at all, then you'll never lure them back because WO has nothing to offer that's better.  Maybe that's an area that could be explored for getting more business in WO....having something better to offer.  Otherwise, I don't think it's going to happen.

Edited by Amadee

I think this suggestion has merit in an idealistic world, and that is good to have ideas like this float.

But I cannot agree with it as being something I want implemented. It just sounds so potentially rife with exploitation.

I think we have a thread about the wurm economy right now, where the topic of inverted pyramids in terms of skills popped up. I do not know if we need a steady small influx of maxed out 50 skill accounts creeping over. I mean, talk about instant priest, play on a server boost the account to 50 in all religion, and bring him to WO.

This idea is great if applied better. There are possibilities here that might be more practical. For example, you can limit the non prem skill boost to 50 on Epic only, which would allow for the player to have a similar experience when skilling up to what they already know, while providing a potential boost in population to the Epic cluster. Or you can limit it to 30 on freedom, or you can do 50 but disable priesting up on these accounts (faith doesnt go past 20?). 

The idea is great. It can't possibly do any harm if applied properly. Just some kinks need to be wringed out.

• Like 1

Easily exploitable when you can buy WU keys for $3 from the indie bundle sale

As a player who has only played WU and never played WO, this wouldn't be enough to draw me to play WO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sindusk said:

As a player who has only played WU and never played WO, this wouldn't be enough to draw me to play WO.

this tbh

the WU community is much smaller than you think @Etherdrifter

18 hours ago, Huntar said:

this tbh

the WU community is much smaller than you think @Etherdrifter

I dunno, I suspect it's about on par with a few thousand, which in WO terms is large enough!

On 5/3/2018 at 10:37 AM, Huntar said:

$3

I got mine for like 60 cents I think

5 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I dunno, I suspect it's about on par with a few thousand, which in WO terms is large enough!

less than 500 people play concurrently, WU peaks around 600-700

the jump in numbers in october was due to the indie bundle, which was a rare case, definitely not enough to garner any amount of attention to WO

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, Etherdrifter said:

That's roughly the same number (if not more) as WO XD

not really, and its not even a stable or consistent number, you're really underestimating the amount of people that play WU plus the appeal it has, I would personally never go back to WO despite starting on WO some 13 years ago.

actualy have the WU purchase i made back then (and never used...prefer WO, got so much time invested here ^^; ) be useful back in WO? sign me up!