Oe7u2XZ.png

Hi Alectrys! #ItsLightRed

They're back, and colourful! That's right, todays update brings back all the good colours, and I'm excited! We'll get right into that, but first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

PvP Affinities and rank rework:

PvP Rank:

• Rank is now more evenly split between attackers. Rank gained/lost depends on the total average rank of all attackers versus the killed player.
  • If there is more than double the number of attackers worth of rank to be split, half will be spread evenly and the other half will be spread based on the rank of each attacker (lower ranked attackers will gain more than a higher ranked attacker).
  • If there is only enough rank to be split evenly, then no bonuses will be given based on attacker rank.
  • If there isn’t enough to be split evenly, then it will be split based on attacker rank only.
  • Killed player will lose 75% of the rank gained among attackers, instead of 100%.
    • (e.g. 20 rank split across 5 attackers: Each of the 5 will gain a base of 2 rank each. The other 10 rank will be split between attackers based on their relative rank – lowest rank attacker might gain 3 bonus (total 5), next 3 might gain 2 (total 4), and highest rank might only gain 1 (total 3). Killed player will only lose 15 rank instead of 20.

PvP Affinities:

• Affinity will now go to a random attacker instead of the “max” attacker.
  • Changed the chance for the affinity to be lost without transfer:If the chosen attacker already has at least 2 more affinities in the chosen skill than the killed player (before the affinity is lost), they will only have a 50% chance to gain the affinity. If the do not gain the affinity, another random attacker will get the chance instead.If no permanent affinity is gained, a week long timed affinity will be given to a random attacker instead. Killed player will still lose the affinity.
  • All other attackers will gain a timed affinity of between 1 and 2 days in the skill of the lost affinity.
  • Champions will now lose an affinity on death even if it is their only affinity.
  • If a killed player doesn’t drop an affinity (due to only having one, or none as a Champion), a random timed affinity between 3 and 6 hours will be given to all attackers.

PvP Mission changes:

• Properly check the correct region when building mission structures on pvp.
  • Lowered the number of players required for x player missions on pvp.
  • Fixed rewards string for build missions.
  • Changed create/sacrifice missions to take into account more number of items properly (bell tower is more than 2 items, for example).
  • PvP servers should get less “requires x players” missions at higher difficulties.

General changes

• Change: Ongoing creature movement tweaks to help get them off high mountains and away from fences and walls if on deed. Creatures will now prefer to move across flatter paths than up or down steep slopes.
  • Change:  Icons for pegs, masts and tenons added.
  • Change:  You can now level and flatten from a boat and the dirt/sand will go into the boat as long as there is enough room.
  • Change:  You can now do the following while mounted/embarked – yoyo, prune, pick sprout and harvest.
  • Change:  Copies of keys made from copper are now called key copy, copper in order to differentiate them from copper keys made with copper locks.
  • Change: A message in the event window will now appear when you gain an affinity via skill usage.

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix: Kilns should now properly have the bash/destroy option.
  • Bugfix: Various spelling and text errors.
  • Bugfix: Small bells will now take on the metal type of the resonator instead of always becoming brass.
  • Bugfix: Material types on lockpicks will now properly use and display the bonus for lockpicking.
  • Bugfix: The adamantine rune of jackal will correctly change the secondary color of drake/scale armour instead of the primary colour.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a depth check for flattening/leveling in shallow water.
  • Bugfix: Action queue is now cleared when continuing a fence if you are standing in the way of completing the fence.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue which failed to check for reinforced floors in some cases when mining tile corners.
  • Bugfix: Grape seedling removed from mission item list.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a dredge leveling action which in rare cases caused a slope to lower by 1 dirt even with a full dredge.
  • Bugfix: Fixed branded and bred creatures on deed not losing agro when you back away and click no target.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue that allowed dragging items from a branded/tamed horse onto an unbranded/untamed horse.
  • Bugfix: Fixed issues with taking and opening distances with piles and containers.
  • Bugffix: Fixed potential issue with uniques dying early.
  • Bugfix: Brass oil lamps can now be crafted and improved correctly.

Client updates:

• Change: Added animal condition colors back
  • Change: Distant terrain textures will look more fitting to the close ones
  • Change: Added a Very High setting to Terrain/Shadow Detail
  • Change: Fixed glitchy background when distant terrain was disabled.
  • Bugfix: Reduced light flickering
  • Bugfix: New stone fences will properly export to Deed Planner 2.8+.
  • Bugfix: Slate and marble brick pavement will properly export to Deed Planner 2.8+
  • Bugfix: Texture size settings will now work for all objects properly

Creature conditions
At long last, they have returned! Todays update brings the long awaited return of creature conditions showing as colours. Unlike the conditions of old times, creatures may be a little more subtle in their colourings, so in the efforts of ensuring wurmian safety, the newly formed Wurmian Union Representitives of Mobs (W.U.R.M.) have compiled a few snapshots of these elusive conditions in the wild:

Spoiler

SVB2KPx.png

Lurking black bear (the second best kind)

NrgH8fH.png

Slow and scared goblins

j0j6YES.png

Aging raging crocodile

fNk59rh.png

hardened, alert and diseased unicorns

RPeg942.jpg

Sly lava spider

pimuS51.png

Angry mountain lion

cUxqYHk.png

Greenish large rat

HVJm00n.png

Slow scorpion

KOgZvuk.png

Diseased huge spider

zgtyJI9.png

Greenish and slow trolls

QKy5WGH.png

Fierce black wolf

We hope this guide helps you be prepared when adventuring, and as always, carry lots of cotton, three waterskins, and a woodscrap for good luck!

Over yonder

As part of our general visual improvements in wurm, we've begun work on improving a lot of things you see everyday, namely, terrain textures.  First task is improving how distant terrain looks, with better blending near and distant terrain to eliminate the choppiness and smoothing it out a little, as you can see below:

e9xNziY.jpg

As you can see, the distant textures are much less choppy, and blend in a lot more smoothly.

We'll also be updating some of the older textures in order to work with normal and specular mapping and also increased resolution (Performance requirements were very different ten years ago!) 

These features will go a long way to improve the overall visuals of the game, and give it a much needed facelift when out and about. 

PvP affinities

Other changes that came in today are changes to the affinity system for PvP kills, and I'd like to go over them a little.

We've increased the chances of gaining an affinity when slaying someone, but have also adjusted how they are given out. It now rolls the first recipient randomly, and will try to give them the affinity, if it cannot, it will then roll another random slayer. It will do this until all slayers have had their chance, then apply the largest temporary affinity to the first person rolled.

This should mean greater chances of them transferring, as well as a more evenly distributed system down the line. We'll continue to monitor these as we go, but expect it to flow nicely from here on out. 

WU Beta
With this update out, we'll be rolling out a beta version of it all to WU tomorrow, friday the 27th of April, for modders and server owners to double check everything works before launching live. We'll also be including a new system that generates archaeology data for servers that lack the history our official ones do, this is not data from the official servers, and generated according to the size of the map, so be sure to check it out! 

Community Content

This weeks community content is a shout out to long xanadian Inspira, who not only completed two legendary titles, but did them in the same day! It's an awesome effort, and I'm sure one she will be proud of for a long time, so congrats! 

That's it from us this news, we'll have more next fortnight as we move to wednesday news (Need to farm those likes before the updates!) and showcase all the weird and wonderful things coming to Wurm. Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 19

looks better, pvp getting better, thanks again everyone at wurm for all the hard work.

How is client performance for people?

I'm hearing stories of extremely bad FPS after this update.

• Like 2

*sees likes challenge and rolls up sleeves* oh its on. I'll make it uphill for you. Thou shall not dethrone me from the top!

(Great job devs! A glimmer of hope for the PVP community!)

How is FPS for you all? I have about 1/2 of my usual fps, with stuttering images even out in the unbuilt wilderness, only 1 client logged in since the update today.

• Like 2

The slow mountain lion is awesome too :) Thanks for the work.

On the other hand where is my fps? :o  It is terrible. My fps is 6-15 in outside. I checked the preview client too, but it is same.

Edited by Annyil

Excellent patch notes but .......

Lag confirmed even after hotfix. Many people are having the same issues. Stuttering happens with every second of movement.

Thanks and please fix soon!

Is the FPS noticeably lower than it was when just standing still? I've identified the stutter during moving issue but I'm not sure if there's something else going on.

Yes, standing still is now 15 fps here, it was about 25-30 at the same spot.

Looking up to the dky or straight down under me raises it to 20-30fps though. Edit: same effect in a mine and above ground.

Shadows are disabled here (not changed as it helped a lot before already).

Edited by Jaz

I turned off the shadows and water reflection, sky detail and standing in the forest with 14 fps. It is unusable.

FPS overall standing still is low compared to FPS prior to the patch. Roughly half. I am using the normal client.

@Everyone with high FPS - you probably wont notice any difference if you get 100+ FPS since it wont dip below 60.

EDIT: @SamoolThank you!!

Edited by EpicDude

17 minutes ago, Annyil said:

I use preview too.

there was a java update recently try that

• Like 1

Ah man, those animal colours take me back. Very nice i use to love walking past freedom deeds and seeing these rainbow zoo's. Might need to have people tell me some good spots to go view them.

Nice distant terrain aswell, I hope over time certain objects can be shown such as valrei buildings, towers and colossus. Even the terraformed roads...Would be sick

Good to see that Cirays Affinity feed back thread is playing it's role - we'll keep reporting back in that thread but on paper it looks a lot better. The annoying thing was being left empty completely, but i can see affinties will be passed around a bit more with this system. 

Also whilst on topic about WU - Talors server is great I think a lot can be learned from it for PVP in ways it creates fun ways to get people off deed. 

Would be cool to get more info on PVP overall and I know a lot of people are waiting for a road map for 2018. 

Edit:

max settings

4e76e28e473bc5c013444b5b9bf78bce.jpg
https://gyazo.com/4e76e28e473bc5c013444b5b9bf78bce

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

Thankfully no remodel work needs to be aborted at this. We'll see in 2 weeks.  *keeps her eyes on Retro and pottery logs*

Going to be interesting with those colors.

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:
  • Change:  You can now level and flatten from a boat and the dirt/sand will go into the boat as long as there is enough room.
  • Change:  You can now do the following while mounted/embarked – yoyo, prune, pick sprout and harvest.

Awesome stuffs! Time to go close some suggestions threads :3

anyone else getting really bad delay and "Refreshing..." server lag since the last update?

its been really noticable for me and several others on affliction/elevation.  usually 3-5 seconds delay for chat to send or for actions to be performed

Now you just need to bring back the champion sizes on all animals ;) 

@AlexgopenYes, there has been some lag for me and others too. I strongly believe it's being looked into, as it has been brought to the attention of staff. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Yldrania said:

Now you just need to bring back the champion sizes on all animals ;) 

Yes please!! If the riding perspective is too difficult to change, I wouldn't even care if the rideable animals were huge as champs in pens and went back to being smaller sized when mounted...

• Like 2