Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Sounds of Wurm Online

Hello, now I know a lot of you play this game without sounds on. I'm also part of that crowd. I choose to play without sounds cause the sounds in this game are frankly terrible and not up to the quality a subscription mmo should have. Those that have sounds on your a very brave person.

It's been years now since sea creatures were introduced and they all sound like snakes when attacking them. They "hiss."  Seals even hiss? Why.

Not only do we have creatures with copy pasted snake attack sounds but we also lack actual a proper ambiance system. Depending on where you are, steppe, grass, water you'll get a sound loop for that biome. It doesn't change, after awhile you'll end up turning off sound. I hear ducks but there are none. Ducks are out to get us I swear.

Work sounds are sloppy and old, they could use some improvements also.

A lot of games these days have procedural sound, the tech is there you know. It's 2018 and while this is a indie game - I do fully understand things take time. However I feel like some areas of Wurm Online have been neglected far to long over the past years.

This game lacks a proper sound lead developer, and I think it's time to spend some of our subscription money and hire a freelancer or ask the community for a volunteer.

Thanks.

• Like 3

I would agree many of the sounds are really sub-standard.  Take horses for example.  The sound of horses walking and trotting sound more like knocking coconuts with spoons than the do the sound of horses.  Whereas, take a game like Life is Feudal, and you just want to jump on your horse and gallop for hours because it sounds so amazingly real!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niki said:

Depending on where you are, steppe, grass, water you'll get a sound loop for that biome. It doesn't change, after awhile you'll end up turning off sound. I hear ducks but there are none. Ducks are out to get us I swear.

I for one have never turned the sounds off, as I enjoy them, so assuming everyone turns them off is asinine.  I will agree, however, that the audio systems could use an update.

By the way, I love the duck sounds, always have.  In fact, they are some of the most realistic duck sounds I've ever heard in a game; so much so that when I'm at a pond with actual ducks I often have this feeling that I'm playing Wurm when said ducks start quacking.

• Like 5

bump

Edited by Niki

9 hours ago, armyskin said:

Is this the part where someone mentions Monty Python?

No... it is the point to mention a training video about coconuts...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Slickshot said:

I for one have never turned the sounds off, as I enjoy them, so assuming everyone turns them off is asinine.  I will agree, however, that the audio systems could use an update.

By the way, I love the duck sounds, always have.  In fact, they are some of the most realistic duck sounds I've ever heard in a game; so much so that when I'm at a pond with actual ducks I often have this feeling that I'm playing Wurm when said ducks start quacking.

That's what is strange.  Some Wurm sounds are really good while others are crappy as they can be.  I agree, the ducks (something not even in the game) sound better than the pigs (something in the game).  Also, I think some of the sounds need to be tweaked.  I hate living near steppe because the wind is so loud it makes it hard to concentrate.  Maybe 2018 will see some "sound" improvements to Wurm.

Thank God the training video made it on to YouTube. I was afraid that it only existed on the 3 disc collectors edition.

I say we need the old emotes back! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j55o5bdii66kudd/sound.emote.cry.wav?dl=0

In all seriousness, a couple of different sound sets per animal would help to add a lot of variety. A few different "got hit" sounds instead of just a single one per animal. Bears make a variety of sounds from a full blown roar to a lighter growl or even a huffing sound.

Tone down some of the ambient sounds and turn up some of the others (steppe and mountains are deafening loud, whereas in the woods you will hear almost nothing where you should be hearing a load of birds and tree sounds)

I'm in favor for toggle-able animal sounds to play just from them existing. Animals only making sound when they die is kindof weird, pigs occasionally grunt and snort in real life even when you're not punching them. Add a toggle so those breeding animals don't go crazy. Or those living on newspring island won't ragequit over the seals screaming ;)

Some animal sounds are simply missing; tortoises and snakes hiss, but dolphins, sharks and seals certainly do not. Sheep do not sound like deer, they go baahhh. Some need updating, like mentioned, and some animals could do with their own sound. A dog, wolf and hellhound should at least have a different pitch to their whining sound.

I'd love to hear humanoid mobs have their occasional gibberish chatter when not busy bashing skulls. Trolls need to discuss the current king elections and rift jackals surely have a few things to discuss with their ogre friends.

I feel like animals randomly making some sounds could help a lot to break the repeated ambient sound and add some feeling to wurm. I would love to hear an occasional rooster crowing, cow mooing or dog barking when travelling by villages. Cowbells are also vital. Hear wolves howling when in the woods, and hear the laughter (???) of dolphins when sailing around.

and yes, something better than coconuts. It cannot possibly be that hard to find a set of horse walking/trotting/galloping sounds to use.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 5

One big problem with audio in this game is that virtually nothing can be changed while in-game.

For example, if I'm in the middle of playing and want to listen to a song or a podcast, I can't change the music volume or turn the music off. I need to actually close the client, or use the Windows volume control to mute Wurm entirely. This is annoying, and makes it easier to just consistently play without sound and/or music instead.

I definitely agree we need more sound effects. Seals hiss like snakes, and beehive noise is important enough to get its own event message but apparently not important enough to get actual ambient sound effects. More ambient sounds, unique sounds for more creatures, and creatures making the occasional "idle" sound effect would be great, and would contribute to Wurm feeling much more "alive".

That said... we really need the options to support it. Implement an audio subsystem that actually lets us change the volume of things like music, creature sounds, etc. in-game, preferably through the actual GUI. I would be so much more inclined to leave music turned on in Wurm if I could click a mute button or drag a slider under my health bar when I want to listen to something else instead.

• Like 6

Hissing seals are really weird, they should sound like this instead:

So majestic.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 3

Wurm Online sound design really need a proper update, this is up there in my opinion with tutorial update, UI rework.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:43 AM, Eyesgood said:

I would agree many of the sounds are really sub-standard.  Take horses for example.  The sound of horses walking and trotting sound more like knocking coconuts with spoons than the do the sound of horses.  Whereas, take a game like Life is Feudal, and you just want to jump on your horse and gallop for hours because it sounds so amazingly real!  

WelltodoCleanAxolotl-small.gif

As a player who actually plays with sound on I agree, sounds could use some upgrading. Only time I really really really enjoy it is when a goblin dies a horrible brutal painful death :)

• Like 1

Big  +1 for sound update! :D I play with sounds on but sometimes they just aren't enough or don't feel quite right. So I'll turn on ambient farm or forest sounds

I don't know that much can be done for the weird cadence of hitched animals since they run at different speeds from one another. So one horse might be trotting while the other is galloping which doesn't really make sense and results in a really odd sound. Maybe the sound should be based on the speed at which the cart is traveling rather than the horses themselves?

I just want an option for the old emotes, I don't think any of the replacements were actually better.

But yeah otherwise adding new sounds would be incredible

The sound in this game really needs an update that is for sure. The devs should play skyrim for a bit to see how ambient noise really makes a nice impact in a game. Also this game could use more storms aka the witcher 3 to make the world feel more alive.

+1

i only have some noice coming from game when in comms, if not, then i rather listen to some motivational grinding music than game :P

Edited by Themystrix

I have a solution. Bring it back.

• Like 3

I love all the sounds in this game. It's part of what makes it unique. Kind of like that help button/vs keybind thread. I love every quirky part of this game. I even bought the soundtracks lol

• Like 1

yes yes more discussions on sounds please we need them back.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, Degrath said:

2. Animals that make animal noises,  Cows that say moo, dogs that bark,  horses that neigh, chickens that cluck, cocks that cockadoodledoo etc etc... Make it so people can toggle this on or off if they don't like it but give us the choice to hear them. It is my understanding that this once existed in Wurm so maybe the frame work for it still exists in code and wouldn't require too much to make it happen? Quite alot of folks I have talked to don't even play with the sound on but maybe if there was something to hear other than a looped ambient tied to a tile group they might.

Bring some life back to the lands of Wurm!

>tfw your headache goes away and you realize that your Wurm sounds broke a while ago

+1