Sign in to follow this  
Metricz

Unable to download Wurm

I have a friend who is unable to download wurm, he has played since it was released and has just bought an HP Omen to game on. He clicks on the play button and hits download, then proceeds to hit open and allow on the computer, then a black command prompt quickly pops up with nothing on it and then as quickly as it popped up, it's gone. Then nothing happens, it doesn't download the game or anything. We have downloaded the latest version of java multiple times and have even used the hotfix for java and have then tried downloading it again, but the same thing pops up over and over. That little black command prompt window. Some help would greatly be appreciated, we've been trying to get it to work for 2 days now.

Check and see whether there are any log files named HS_ERR_PID, possibly on his desktop or possibly in the same folder he is trying to download the game to.

Make sure to NOT use Java 9, as wurm does not support that yet. I think the newest working version is Recommended Version 8 Update 171

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

If you have the right Java installed, check the downloads folder.  If you see the Wurm jnlp file, right-click on it and open with "Java Web Launcher".  That should start the game.  Latest versions of most browsers on Windows seem to be blocking the ability to run Java Web Launcher direct from a link, so it just downloads a copy of the file instead.  Double clicking on the file will usually just try and launch it with regular Java, which will fail. 

I have a couple of friends who had similar experience, but when they launched properly, as above, it worked fine.