Sign in to follow this  
Erevorn

How to run Wurm on Intel

So Wurm just won't start. The Java engine is giving me the error logs like we know them when you need to disable multidraw and VBO on Intel to make it work. I know I need to do it, but the catch is I can't.

In the dropdown when you click either multidraw or vbo you just have no option to disable any of these.

Does this mean Intel has been permabanned from Wurm?

I run intel. Can do 2 clients reasonably well on low memory client. Travel is dangerous as crashes happen occasionally and way more often during travel. Have also run into an occasional load-instant-freeze when out and about it lot of people in local. 

I just lowered all settings or turned off everything I could (I don’t understand much but kept playing around). No sounds, nothin lol. 

Almost time to buy a new pc :D:D

If it is a desktop, you can also squeak by a little longer with something like a secondhand Nvidia GT730 from ebay , which will work much better than integrated intel chip and often under $25 if you shop careful (don't buy from BestBuy). 

It will even run on off the shelf national brands that have gawd awful 240W power supplies, which cannot support more powerful graphic cards. On an older computer you really don't want to invest in anything more than this.

Not much help though if you are on a laptop. Laptops can sometimes use an external graphics card but it is likely to be an extremely  expensive option and you are better off buying a better computer for less money. 

Sometimes you can get old used desktops for under $100 that will run Wurm ok, but again you need to shop very carefully or you can waste money easily. They often need you to install an OS yourself.

If you are not very savvy about computer hardware, this is a terrific time to be nice to that geeky nephew or 13 year old neighbor, sometimes they are delighted to help for free to show off their tech skills.

Also, there are some different clients for Wurm and it may be another client version still has the dropdown options, or simply runs nicer on intel:

Sometimes also a newer driver direct from the Intel website will help -- do NOT use Windows Update to update drivers  as they will give you a generic Microsoft driver that does not support OpenGL well.

If you know which intel chipset you have

If you are not sure and want intel to autodetect yours

Again, may not work with certain laptop brands that do not allow you to use newer intel drivers, and instead condemn you to an old 2003 driver from their website.

Except for really old chipsets, intel has gotten much better at providing decent modern drivers than they did in the past, but unfortunately some laptop makers don;t really support updating older systems 

You can check your current driver date and adapter name from Windows Device manager - right click display adapter - properties - driver

If the driver is more than five years old, it probably won't play well with Wurm. Newer chipsets might have better luck even on older drivers.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thank goodness we've got Brash_Endeavors

So calm and wise and very clever.

And 'though they will not last forever...

For now our PCs hang together!

Leaving this for future generations.

My laptop has integrated Intel HD graphics as well as an Nvidia Geforce 710m. All it took was to go into Nvidia settings and make it so that the jlp java launcher was always ran by the nvidia processor not the intel one.

Thanks, we can close this one down.

Not getting a refund on my rotten crops tho I assume ;(

On 4/25/2018 at 0:06 AM, Erevorn said:

Leaving this for future generations.

My laptop has integrated Intel HD graphics as well as an Nvidia Geforce 710m. All it took was to go into Nvidia settings and make it so that the jlp java launcher was always ran by the nvidia processor not the intel one.

Thanks, we can close this one down.

Not getting a refund on my rotten crops tho I assume ;(

Not likely, but I’d bet you there are players out there willing to help replace the seeds to plant again if you need them. :) 

Brash, you think this Thunderbolt 3 cable would help on an external card for my laptop?

Turning off GLSL in compatibility improved my performance over 500%. (Probably more like 10-20x)

With GLSL I was getting about 30fps constant at 720p, absolutely everything disabled/low/short.

With it turned off, I can run everything on high/far at constant 30fps, 1080p, using about 25% of CPU's GPU capabilities. However, there are no shadows or shaders, so world is a bit bland....but at least the textures and render distance are superb.

Would highly recommend this for anyone else running on integrated...makes Wurm 100% playable and enjoyable. Could hit 60fps smoothly if I wanted, but I choose to keep CPU usage low, so fans don't run.

• Like 2

The above answer fixed it for me with an integrated Intel card, so if you're finding your game locked at low FPS regardless of what you disable in the settings, try Ferriss solution!