Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Free standing spiral staircase

This has always been a problem for me.. I've previously compromised around the issue but occasionally, compromise is impossible without a complete redesign.
so, i've abandoned projects unfinished because they look great on the outside.. unfinished on the inside due to game restrictions.
This isn't a problem in Wurm Unlimited, there's ways around it. 
Not so in WO.

If i wanted to make a spiral staircase going up the center;
WSKXzv0.jpg
I can't without having an empty floor plan on one of the sides one every floor;
jIGiZ3d.jpg
If i try to remove the floor plan that i don't need the error <Removing that would cause a collapsing section> is returned.

As a result, I have to leave the floor plans there;
imO99bk.jpg
Clearly it makes sense for the openings but Spiral Staircases should be able to stand on their own. 

My suggestion;
Allow us to build free-standing staircases.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 4

Can't you do it the old way and connect it with a wall to the roof instead?

the point is there's no walls to connect it to, until the top.. unless you add an empty floor plan in the gap. 
Look at the top picture.
There is a gap between the center floor tile and the wall.
adding a wall would screw up the symmetry, it'd look bloody awful. also unnecessary, an empty floor plan connects it to a wall. 
adding a wall so i didn't need an empty floor plan would ruin the design.
The walls diagonal to what would be the tile corners don't count, don't function as architectural supports.
If it helps, this is what it looks like from the outside;

Spoiler

kBmn34H.jpg

Edited by Steveleeb

Only fix for this is arched walls up at least on one side, is how I had to do the stairs in the MR Armoury.

NjLQBTu.jpg

Maybe experiment with the new arch styles.

Edited by JakeRivers

A spiral stair has a thick stone column down the center (at least the stone one does) - it should be able to support itself. 

+1

• Like 3

That's pretty cool jake, somewhat ingenious.. but a staircase that only travels vertically isn't going to be as tidy as that.
I just had a go in deed planner, it was too ugly to screenshot for the purpose of demonstration, it's already fairly cluttered with just the staircase there.
Concision in spoiler;

Spoiler

images courtesy of DeedPlanner
3Xdirei.jpg
A wall from the door to, the staircase does not act like a support because that's merely a tile corner.
it has to go alongside (which it does on yours except with your dimensions.. it's underside, which is workable)
In the case of a vertical staircase, this means, one side per floor or rotating sides.. being only one tile, there's no way to make it look nice unless i put a normal arch against every side.
rYz1PkP.jpg
which i suppose is, a solution as Cecci already mentioned. Once i figure out something nicer than you see here. 
But.. as Alyeska said.. the bugger has a solid stone shaft going through it, it should support itself.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

To generalize, I think we should be able to build a staircase anywhere we could build a wall on the border of that same tile.

This would not only allow for the suggestion in this thread, but would also allow us to finally have proper front steps/porch steps on the outside of a building, without needing ugly arches around it and wasting floor plan space. Of course, that would mean new staircase models would need to be implemented that aren't floating off the floor, since the outside of a building would be floorless.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steveleeb said:

That's pretty cool jake, somewhat ingenious.. but a staircase that only travels vertically isn't going to be as tidy as that.
I just had a go in deed planner, it was too ugly to screenshot for the purpose of demonstration, it's already fairly cluttered with just the staircase there.
Concision in spoiler;

Hide contents

images courtesy of DeedPlanner
3Xdirei.jpg
A wall from the door to, the staircase does not act like a support because that's merely a tile corner.
it has to go alongside (which it does on yours except with your dimensions.. it's underside, which is workable)
In the case of a vertical staircase, this means, one side per floor or rotating sides.. being only one tile, there's no way to make it look nice unless i put a normal arch against every side.
rYz1PkP.jpg
which i suppose is, a solution as Cecci already mentioned. Once i figure out something nicer than you see here. 
But.. as Alyeska said.. the bugger has a solid stone shaft going through it, it should support itself.

Yeah I figured the symmetry would put you off to just do one per side, I was thinking maybe just using T arch's, might not look too bad.

Really would be cool to be able to build stairs free standing though, but since stairs are considered to be a floor, wurm construction does not allow for free floating floors to be made due to the limitations of the code. Be nice to see it changed though, as it would open up more design possibilities.

Not being able to do a free standing stair case led me to come up with this option for stairs. My original design had the stairs starting from the first floor, but it required a single arch wall to support the first section and by that point my floor space was getting more cluttered than I wanted it to be.

8nSn06M.jpg

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

but since stairs are considered to be a floor, wurm construction does not allow for free floating floors to be made due to the limitations of the code.

AHWI8sM.jpg

9yhgoWC.jpg
right on. ;)

17 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Not being able to do a free standing stair case led me to come up with this option for stairs. My original design had the stairs starting from the first floor, but it required a single arch wall to support the first section and by that point my floor space was getting more cluttered than I wanted it to be.

8nSn06M.jpg

yeah man that's a real nice design you've got going on at Mags Run. good share

• Like 1