Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

Do you consider wurm cheap?

"Do you consider wurm cheap?" 

No, I consider it expensive compared to other games. Specifically, per a month( USD): 12 crafter premium, 5 deed upkeep, 3 spending game silver, 12 priest premium.

If I could pay 5$ US per month for access to premium crafter main, a good size deed, and a couple priests then I would consider it cheap.

Most games are 12 to 15$ us a month and that enables you to experience all the game has to offer. Wurm may cost less to have a single premium toon but that isn't experiencing all the game has to offer.

• Like 1

"Cheap" is a highly subjective term. Ten dollars or euros a month is prohibitively expensive for some folks, and they shouldn't be made to feel bad about that.

The real question, to which most answers seem to be in the affirmative, is whether or not Wurm is worth the cost. This is also highly subjective. I think it is, but it costs me more than just premium time for a month. I don't have time to work a second job in-game to earn silver to pay for deed upkeep (much less premium time) so that's out of pocket as well. I have an alt as a luxury, who also now has a deed, and I certainly don't have time for my alt to have a job. That's all money out of pocket, but to me, it's worth it. That brings me to my final point - it's not a question of whether it is worth it to established veterans, but whether or not it is worth it to new players.  

• Like 4

I wouldn't say wurm is cheap, but I wouldn't say it's expensive, either.  I keep 2 premium chars, which I play simultaneously - I'm not aware of any other game that allows you to do that without multiple subs - plus a 3s/month deed.  At the current pricing, I'd still keep two subs, even if wurm allowed you to keep multiple toons on a single sub (but only play 1 toon at a time).  My trader generally produces a few silver a month, plus a few foraged coins and the odd paid sale, which pays for my deed and beer money; the occasional spike in expenses is covered by the occasional unique fight (scale is a pretty good silver bump).

All in all, I'm fine with current costs as they stand.

Edited to add: I also love that I can take a break for a few months, and stop paying for the game (making sure deed upkeep is topped up in advance), and then come back and pick up exactly where I left off, without losing anything.  No need to keep paying a sub or lose all your stuff, etc.

Edited by Wonka
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

I truly don't know if there is another game where you don't have to pay a cent into it to garner full benefits such as Wurm, if there is then forget this post :P

you haven't played a game where the premium currency was tradable? that allows a character who doesn't pay for the game to work for premium type stuff.

Edit: Also by the way a lot of people describing it, A person who has a steady salary has no issue throwing the money towards a game. A people around the age of 15 or something that rely on birthday money (used to be me, had to leave the game lol) seem to be blocked by the pay barrier.

Edited by Yiraia

i played eve online with 23 accounts ( 66 characters)  for almost 10 years without paying any subscription money passed the first years where i was using 2 accounts. tech II bpos and trading 4tw

The MMO I subbed to prior to this was $15/mo. Yes, the way I play Wurm is more expensive than this. I play rather "hardcore": two prem characters plus a deed at 9.5s/mo. My second character supports herself by foraging. It's easy to earn enough silver to pay her sub just by foraging and occasionally selling to token. My deed pays for itself via the veggies I farm. Even taking out those factors, for ME it's still a bargain. It gives me MANY hours of entertainment. If you figure roughly 35eu a month, and I play 10 hours a week (I laughed typing that... 10 hours a week!) that's less than 1 eu an hour...

Where else can I get entertainment that cheap?

*edit with more info*

You don't START that way. You start like I did: 1 character, prem. Gain skills. Join a friend and share a deed. Decide if it's worth it to YOU to expand. That way you pay your $12/mo plus a nominal deed fee of around $1/mo. Then yes, it's still under industry standard of $15/mo.

Edited by ChampagneDragon
more info
  • Like 2

Only kids and people without jobs would say this game is expensive or it should be free to play.  Even at minimum wage it would take you 1 hour of work to pay for 30 days of this game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

So I had a beautiful post somewhere where I went into great detail in debunking the silly myth that WurmOnline extremely costlier than other MMO's and I cannot seem to find it now...

So here it is in short:

A 2-month subscription to WO is 16e, which translates to ~$20, so ~$10/month for a single character. So let's say roughly the price of a full meal from a fast food restaurant, or a pair of coffees from Starbucks.

A purchase of WU is ~$30 TOTAL, no per/month purchase, it is a one-time purchase; so the cost of 3-months subscription in WO.

Costs quite a bit to play wurm, my deeds run about 30s/month then having 1-5 characters premmed at any given time adds up in a hurry.

1 hour ago, nicedreams said:

Even at minimum wage it would take you 1 hour of work to pay for 30 days of this game.

Heh, You would be surprised.

1 hour ago, nicedreams said:

Only kids and people without jobs would say this game is expensive or it should be free to play.  Even at minimum wage it would take you 1 hour of work to pay for 30 days of this game.

Depends on where you live and local costs.

• Like 1

Premium is 8e per month, and you need 1e for deed upkeep (you'll probably earn it even with occasional playing not even trying much but okay let's count that for nitpickicking people), so it's 9e per month, and you get a lot for that. You want to expirience full game? Sure, play priest for couple of months then depriest, go to Epic for couple of months, join kingdom and PVP for a couple of months, there you go, it's not ideal but it's a way... That's the minimal price to play Wurm and you can still can have load of fun with it. Heck 10 euros was a large amount for me when i was in faculty studying, i live in a pour country where people sometimes have 200 euros a month and couple of kids to support with it, i played for free for 5 months, had my deed after 3 months still as f2p noob and still had loads of fun. The problem is people are spoiled. If you have hundreds of euros you can spend on game sure go nuts, i'm not against it, but don't tell me that's the only way to have fun and play this game... I would say the price of Wurm is very fair compared to what it offers and compared to other games and what's more important it's the most flexible game on the market on that topic as there are many ways to fit your budget for playing it.

It's cheap to me since I get more hours of enjoyment out of it than I pay into it - compared to other entertainment. It's the cost of a fancy coffee, it's a lot cheaper than a trip to the theater, and it doesn't even come near to a night out - so it's fine with me. You pay your monthly prem, and if you let it run out, then you can still play and a lot of the things you were able to before - ride horses, sail boats etc. I guess again it depends where you live, maybe if the general GDP is a lot lower it could be expensive. But then, you can pay for prem ingame, anyway. Certainly beats the time that JKH was a prem only server and ingame prem wasn't a thing. And if you do live in a place where the cost of prem is relatively expensive, you could actually just make some side cash which would be worth a lot to you just by playing the game. I'd say that's a win. Summon the Korean gold farmers.

• Like 4

I'm living in a part of Europe which is not considered to be a place with good salaries, still it is absolutely no problem to pay my 3 subscriptions monthly - compared to the fun and the time I spend ingame it is quite nothing compared to any other leisure activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Where else can I get entertainment that cheap?

If we are going to be general and say "entertainment"

GIGLQWz.pngmPgeiCJ.pngVjXr0HM.pngxfO3AR8.png

Brawlhalla and Warface are nothing like wurm, but in terms of entertainment this is extremely cheap for how much fun you can have. I used no money on warface and was entertained for OVER 121 hours. I didn't have warface all the time on steam, so the hour is smaller than it should be. Brawlhalla is completely free and payment helps nowhere except unlocking characters you want (And you can unlock those characters just by playing the game in ANY type of match, even custom lobbies). Both those games make money off of customization related payments, while warface also has some boosts and some guns available for real money.

Total pay on brawlhalla, 20$. I thought they deserved it after the 600th hour of me playing it.

Total pay on Warface, 0$. You can't see your own character... so i wouldnt change it lol, and i was perfectly fine with regular guns.

Don't starve together i got on sale, but lets imagine i didn't wait for that and paid the 15$ fee. 15$ for 2 copies of the game (handed to pumper) thats basically pumper and i spending 7.50$ on a game. (It was actually about 8$ for sale, so 4$ each). Wurm unlimited is 30$... Both games are sandboxes, one is 2d and the other is 3d (but that doesn't limit creativity, both games can be modded readily to have additional fun outside the game's original mechanics). Im not gonna compare it directly to wurmonline though.

Rogalia on the other hand, not a popular sandbox (like wurm) and lacks a subscription. They have servers constantly running; their method of getting money comes from initial payments, customization, and functional items. 12$ for initial cost and i even bought a mount for this game.

Theres more, like salemthegame, but you get the idea. Wurm's cost to access all mechanics the game has to offer is expensive in comparison to other games imo. 

• Like 1

I guess the point I was trying to make is, that the game is not cheap compared to its counterparts.

That being irregardless of entertainment, I am even lumping in your Fortnites, and League of Legends. If you are simply after fun, wurm is expensive.

I also took into account dollar for dollar, not basing anything on silver earned. Can you pay for everything with silver? Yes. Acknowledged.

I am look at it from the point of someone coming to wurm, first time, and saying "wow, I could buy a whole video game for 20 dollars!" and just bailing out.

Or another new player joining, paying and enjoying his time, to find out he either has to live with some people, (which he might like!) or pay ADDITIONAL money for a place to live as well on top of that premium cost. To a new player that is no bueno. 

When I first bought premium I saw it as a simple switch from Runescape membership to premium cost, with a slight differential, now the cost is more of a commitment.  

I am not advocating premium free anything mind you.

Additionally the cost of Wurm Unlimited is quite high for what it is, I would slice it to $20. I know sales help too but still.

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/21445/wurm-unlimited-steam-cd-key/

Wurm Unlimited: $0.35

How much cheaper do you want it to be?

Kinguin is not steam regardless if it is a steam key, and borders on legality.

But at that price, if someone really wants it, they can get it I guess. Meaning that people just don't want it.

Edited by FranktheTank
Last part overtly negative.

"Is wurm online cheap"

In all honesty?  It's the only time I've paid premium for an mmo; and I am notoriously cheap.

But, and it's a big but, I run a single toon on a small deed.  I wouldn't fork out for 2 characters, or a larger deed, it is simply too pricy.  If I couldn't earn my rent through foraging, now that the magic market has died, I'd likely not play as I object to subscription + micropay, one or the other sure, but both is just greedy.  So while wurm isn't too expensive for a very limited experience; it is far too expensive for the full experience.  Especially when compared to WU.

The trouble isn't "is wurm online cheap", it's "is the free game expansive enough to draw people in (as well as populate the world!)", and the answer to that is a resounding no.  There is also the competition factor with WU "do I pay 3 months premium, or do I just outright buy the game and play on a private server till I inevitably get bored and move on".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/21445/wurm-unlimited-steam-cd-key/

Wurm Unlimited: $0.35

How much cheaper do you want it to be?

What is that website... am i just one of the few people who don't know about it lol. I thought many people find things on steam or just lists of video games laying around on internet (whether its on google or another website).

46 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

What is that website... am i just one of the few people who don't know about it lol. I thought many people find things on steam or just lists of video games laying around on internet (whether its on google or another website).

I've used that website a lot without issues. Its a reseller of steam keys. Different groups buy steam keys as packs and resell them. Sometimes developers themselves give away steam keys (like CCAB does with their streamers) and people take them and sell them forward. This website is like an ebay of game codes.

8 hours ago, nicedreams said:

I find this comment sort of insulting .

There are people who live in country's that the cost of living is just crazy so yes 8 euros can be a lot plus deed upkeep .

Some people are retired and there pension does not follow the increase of living expense .

There may also be some people who can no longer work do to injury and play slower going games like Wurm for fun and relief , income there is way below minimum wage .

So please in future comments look at the larger picture ..and consider all extras in gaming price .

I love Wurm and I play my char as much as possible to get my moneys worth , having had many prem accounts up at a time .

Wen it was 5 Euros was nice , but they needed to up the price to make money , anyone can see it was worth it by the updates since then .

Don't take this a dig at you Nicedreams  , I have just seen to many use it as a excuse .B)

44 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I find this comment sort of insulting .

There are people who live in country's that the cost of living is just crazy so yes 8 euros can be a lot plus deed upkeep .

Some people are retired and there pension does not follow the increase of living expense .

There may also be some people who can no longer work do to injury and play slower going games like Wurm for fun and relief , income there is way below minimum wage

This is true, but not relevant. If you compare the current price of Wurm to... say, playing baseball in your back yard, then yes, its expensive. If you dont go to the movies because of how expensive it is, or play only other single player one time buys, then yes. But Wurm is a subscription based MMO, with full access to the game features once you pay for the subscription. Compared to products on its category is rather economical.

10 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Didn't even realize this small comment. At minimum wage it would take 2-3 hours of work to get a one time purchase multiplayer game that is very enjoyable (wide variety out there). For a person who is trying to save up money, everything counts.

Viewing the price of something by a person's salary is not enough to judge if its expensive or not. What if mechanical lead pencil refills were only 8$ and you had to get them once every month. Only 1 hour of work to get it, but that is expensive to some people. I thought when judging the expense of something in a competitive manner, you should not view what people have to spare from their salary, but what other people are charging. 

1 minute ago, Yiraia said:

Didn't even realize this small comment. At minimum wage it would take 2-3 hours of work to get a one time purchase multiplayer game that is very enjoyable (wide variety out there). For a person who is trying to save up money, everything counts.

Viewing the price of something by a person's salary is not enough to judge if its expensive or not. What if mechanical lead pencil refills were only 8$ and you had to get them once every month. Only 1 hour of work to get it, but that is expensive to some people. I thought when judging the expense of something in a competitive manner, you should not view what people have to spare from their salary, but what other people are charging. 

I can buy a bag of cheetos for a dollar, so it must mean that all single player games on Steam are expensive.

Is the game expensive as a hobby? No. At least in any developed country and most developing countries.

Is it expensive relative to other games...the answer is, it can be.

But I'm not buying the whole "you need multiple characters like several priests to enjoy the game". What are alliances for? Or even deeds as you can join someone else's deed.

Do you not get to experience what it is to have your own deed? Sure. But if you have your own deed and you live alone, you're also missing out on part of the experience, too.

8-10 bucks a month is a bit hefty for a game nowadays. Not with as many options as there are. I'm not quite sure what to do. Make the game free but increase deed costs? Just have current deeds grandfathered in at their current cost, but any new tiles or deeds will be levied at the new price?

It could actually get more than one player on a deed on Freedom.

• Like 1