Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

Do you consider wurm cheap?

I didn't know there were people that actually thought wurm wasn't expensive (I would say the ideal way to play wurm is 2 characters, but lets imagine its just 1 character). I began to understand why some people didn't view it as expensive in some relative terms. In comparison to my salary, which isn't even high at all, wurm took a VERY small portion of it. If i had to choose between constantly going to the movies or constantly playing wurm, wurm easily dominate in terms of being cheap. Its when wurm comes into competition with other games does it seem more expensive (in my opinion). I can't talk much about costs for servers but If I were to look at simply wurm itself (Ex: Wurm unlimited) I think most people will think its very expensive in the realm of games. Wurm unlimited sells JUST the game itself, and does not have wurm staff constantly hold servers, rather get updates from wurm online. Last i checked, it was priced at 30$.... That's hella expensive. Minecraft costs less and grabs the attention of more people (even adults... just in case some didnt know). Both sandboxes, but minecraft has much more freedom. Wurm is strictly set on one theme, which is cool, but simply doesn't match the variety minecraft offers. Minecraft even has it's redstone contraptions for intricate machinery in regular minecraft, which probably would probably never fit the theme of wurm. So if a person was looking for a sandbox, those are 2 choices. I came on wurm because i wanted to try something different after so much minecraft. If somebody was looking at a combat perspective, then it would be a competition with other games like mortal online. Mortal online costs for subscription (2 more $ a month) but has accounts with multiple characters. 4 characters in mortal would be an initial cost of 27$ and then 12$ a month for premium. 2 premium characters in minecraft would cost around 20$ a month. Anybody who has done algebra knows which one is gonna cost more as time goes on. There are countless number of games, but those are the 2 I can closely relate to wurm, That were less costly and had more to offer. Wurm was simply different.

What do you think about the game's cost? Is it one of the more expensive games you have played? Im not considering payment outside of the game such as buying drake armor. I can imagine player economy making other games seem more expensive but i'm just talking about the barrier to actually play the game.

• Like 1

So I had a beautiful post somewhere where I went into great detail in debunking the silly myth that WurmOnline extremely costlier than other MMO's and I cannot seem to find it now...

So here it is in short:

A 2-month subscription to WO is 16e, which translates to ~$20, so ~$10/month for a single character. So let's say roughly the price of a full meal from a fast food restaurant, or a pair of coffees from Starbucks.

A purchase of WU is ~$30 TOTAL, no per/month purchase, it is a one-time purchase; so the cost of 3-months subscription in WO.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

So I had a beautiful post somewhere where I went into great detail in debunking the silly myth that WurmOnline extremely costlier than other MMO's and I cannot seem to find it now...

So here it is in short:

A 2-month subscription to WO is 16e, which translates to ~$20, so ~$10/month for a single character. So let's say roughly the price of a full meal from a fast food restaurant, or a pair of coffees from Starbucks.

A purchase of WU is ~$30 TOTAL, no per/month purchase, it is a one-time purchase; so the cost of 3-months subscription in WO.

1 Character in Wurm costs $10 a month.

it is what, 20 characters? In World of Warcraft for 15

You can complete almost all content in WoW with 1 character

You need at least a minimum of two characters available for enchants and crafting minimum.

Wurm is expensive

• Like 1

I've never considered wurm expensive, I've never played any other mmo but even reading what others offer I'm still not going to lose sleep over how cheap wurm is in terms of entertainment especially when it seems to throw money back at us

• Like 2

WO is $10 per month. EVE Online is $15 per month. A comparable MMO from its age, Final Fantasy 11 is 15 per month with no free to play or in game coin pay option.

In essence, its cheap when compared to other mmos. If you want to compare it to WoW in the amount of characters you can have you run into the issue you can only play one character at a time. Its like that with any mmo. You pay a premium fee, but are tied to a single instance of the game per subscription.

So far is the lowest cost game I have ever seen. 

• Like 1

i pay for 1 toon's prem, deed upkeep and whatever stuff i need with silver i earn in game making bulk in my spare time, so for me wurm is free, so its cheaper than my WoW sub and its expansions.

• Like 1

Cost about 1.56 Canadian for 1 Euro so figure a little over  $12 Canadian , plus on top of that deed upkeep if you don't sale bulk or anything else really .

That does not include the F...ing !  price of internet in Canada that's is just retarded ... that's what happens  wen the governing agency is in the back pocket of the providers , but that's another story up here...:angry:

So yes Wurm can be more expensive then most games , unless you count micro transactions for fluff items form other games..

But you  do get more then 1 char playing other games , if wurm was to late you have 2 chars per account  I think it would brake what community Wurm has going for it , helpful people .

Think people would not interact as much unless to sale stuff ..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Cost about 1.56 Canadian for 1 Euro so figure a little over  $12 Canadian , plus on top of that deed upkeep if you don't sale bulk or anything else really .

That does not include the F...ing !  price of internet in Canada that's is just retarded ... that's what happens  wen the governing agency is in the back pocket of the providers , but that's another story up here...:angry:

So yes Wurm can be more expensive then most games , unless you count micro transactions for fluff items form other games..

But you  do get more then 1 char playing other games , if wurm was to late you have 2 chars per account  I think it would brake what community Wurm has going for it , helpful people .

Think people would not interact as much unless to sale stuff ..

So two characters for one characters price, where you only able to login one at a time?

1 hour ago, FranktheTank said:

1 Character in Wurm costs $10 a month.

it is what, 20 characters? In World of Warcraft for 15

You can complete almost all content in WoW with 1 character

You need at least a minimum of two characters available for enchants and crafting minimum.

Wurm is expensive

Oh and in addition to what I said, I wonder how many other games you can play for free as much as Wurm, and have the ability to never pay a cent into it such as Wurm, as I know several folks who haven't put any money into the game and premium their accounts and pay for their deeds based solely on what they make ingame. I truly don't know if there is another game where you don't have to pay a cent into it to garner full benefits such as Wurm, if there is then forget this post :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Oh and in addition to what I said, I wonder how many other games you can play for free as much as Wurm, and have the ability to never pay a cent into it such as Wurm, as I know several folks who haven't put any money into the game and premium their accounts and pay for their deeds based solely on what they make ingame. I truly don't know if there is another game where you don't have to pay a cent into it to garner full benefits such as Wurm, if there is then forget this post :P

Plus they made it even easier to get started by lowering the initial cost for your first prem from 10s to 2s. You can now forage for a couple hours and get those two coins... Or make 1k mortar and sell it. From there on, its cheese.

If you consider how much time some people spend playing Wurm, the subscription cost is insignificant. It could be a thousand dollars a month and still be "low".

I can't really compare Wurm to Eve.  They are apples to oranges, and not because of the medieval vs space frontier argument.

When I played Eve, my character improved based on a stupid training queue.  Whether I played for 15 minutes or 12 hours, my skills only improved so fast.  In Wurm, I can play for 12 hours and get a good chunk of skill grinding, whereas someone that can only devote a couple hours to the game on their one day off would get left in the dust.

• Like 1

"Do you consider wurm cheap?" 

No, i don not consider wurm cheap. 

Cheap for me would be 5 dollars. which would work out to 3.20 euro's.

Fair 10 dollars. 6.40 euro's

expensive 15 dollars,  9.60 euro's

Edited by gorgian

Wurm costs 80 Euro for 12 months, plus you get 12 sleep powders, which can be sold if you choose, which I do.  So call it 68 Euro for 12 months.  Or slightly under 6 Euro a month.  Works for me.

• Like 2

There's too many factors to say precisely.

Wurm can be very cheap if you play on one character, do not have to pay for deed and can earn silver in many ways like labors, crafting etc.

Also could be absurdly expensive if you use few characters and have big deed or two.

• Like 1

Considering that I need to buy silver on top of the sub to pay for upkeep - yep, too expensive for a niche game with a dwindling population and outdated graphics.

As someone that has kept 2-3 prem accounts at a time through the years with a bunch of randoms for sermon/storage alts and has paid for/helped pay for up to like 7-8 deeds at a time, and doesn't buy anything but occasionally sleep powder

I haven't paid rl cash for anything in wurm since 2010 thanks to ingame methods of earning silver.  Wurm is ridiculously cheap if you can manage to play it right.  Or longer, the days when traders would poop out 30-50s+ per month were glorious.  But essentially, I've managed to play the last 8 years for pretty much free thanks to a little investment into traders which largely covers everything

I still wouldn't mind a system that allowed 1 prem to cover 5 accounts.  Might be a loss to wurm income but might potentially bring in more customers

• Like 1

I don't really compare games in terms of just numbers to what I'm paying for it. But I do value the feeling of "getting your moneys worth". Which Wurm for me does, even playing as casually as I do these days it feels like I get my value from it. 

I guess this really is a very personal perspective based way to look at things and everyone gunna feel different about Wurm and other games as to whether they're worth. But for me, it is.  

• Like 2

As Emoo pointed out, its a point of view thing.

I run 4 premed chars (1 Builder Main and 3 Priests - sometimes even a Favor Mule)  and my deed eats 7-8s per month and I find it still cheap - I play rather casual atm just tending to my fields and some small things here and there so I wont burn out but yea.

Next to that I have a 20eur sub in FF XIV running (gota pay for that retainer storage...) and that one I consider expensive because I hardly get anything out of it and I would have canceled it a long time ago if it was not for the friends there that I do not want to ditch.

My gaming budget is just big enough so that this does not even dent it so to me Wurm is cheap yea.

Also it's hard to compare to other MMOs - the "needs a Priest to do stuff" thing is kinda not full on, if you want enchants or any other spells then sure... but do you NEED that to play? Nah... with no enchants some things just take a tad more time.

Plenty of people play the game with just one premed character, so it is up to the player to decide if they want to go the extra mile or not - but don't call that expensive as that is something the player thinks they need / can't be bothered to look for other people who fill the role.

(Yes, I know it is not very fun to play a Priest on its own as that is very limited and meh so the prospect of finding one is slim... but thats not related to a price tag, more so to the games design... if Priest play on its own was more fun then yea...)

It's just like in other MMOs, those games are build around grouping and playing with others to get the full round of benefits (can't play without a tank, healer or dps or a full group and expect to do a real dungeon crawl - unless you outlevel the dungeon by far, but then you have games who have limits to enter a dungeon/instance so you gota fill up anyhow... and going any further here would branch out in so many details, I think this should show how hard it is to compare MMOs with each other on that end, all you can do is say it is fun and worth it to you - or not).

It isn't that expensive per se, but the 1 account, 1 character system is a bit archaic and makes it scale badly, especially when Wurm is best enjoyed having multiple characters. (I know that is entirely subjective, but I know I'm not alone in playing multiple characters at a time, and there is some objective truth behind it seeing as you cannot have all content on one character with priesthood being a thing.)

I'd even be happy with 2 characters per premium, even if I personally still had to buy 2 prems then. But 2 toons/account would at least enable everyone to enjoy "the full game", in a sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flubb said:

It isn't that expensive per se, but the 1 account, 1 character system is a bit archaic and makes it scale badly, especially when Wurm is best enjoyed having multiple characters. (I know that is entirely subjective, but I know I'm not alone in playing multiple characters at a time, and there is some objective truth behind it seeing as you cannot have all content on one character with priesthood being a thing.)

I'd even be happy with 2 characters per premium, even if I personally still had to buy 2 prems then. But 2 toons/account would at least enable everyone to enjoy "the full game", in a sense.

You have to consider only being able to login with one at the same time then as any other MMO handles this.

Not sure if that should be an exception here, because essentially you would get double the "wares" for the same price.

But running a builder and a priest of the same account while you can only log in one of them at the same time seems ok to me, if you use the priest rarely for anything but enchants or whatever then that seems reasonable.

Maybe if Account management was a thing here, you could just run/manage all your chars of one account but set different passwords for them and then have a "premium counter" so that when you paid 2 prems you can login two of the chars on that account at the same time, or just one of the lot when only one premium is bought.

Wurm offers you choice as to your investment..

You can 'potter' around as a FTP character, you can find coins by foraging and this can earn premium and all the advantages this gives.

You can also 'break-the-bank' by having many characters and many deeds of whatever size you want.

For me, I enjoy doing whatever I want whenever I want. I am not interested in making money from Wurm or watching my skills reach this or that level. Paying 30 euros a month for three premium characters for me is good value due to the enjoyment that I get from Wurm- others may find that too much to justify. It is personal opinion and individual circumstances but you do have a choice!

I have the money, it's fun almost all the time--there you go. I do have a second char but I like my free time to be casual, not get caught up in timers or what I have to do, so she gets premmed when I feel like it. ~$9-11/month plus maybe once a year buying some silver to buy a fancy item is cheap enough for me.

I do feel like some folks put a lot of pressure on this game to satisfy all their needs for success and their monetary needs as well, so we see these demands for more players, more skills, more levels, more everything. To me that sounds exhausting and not a great way to play, but to each their own. I think you can make Wurm whatever you need, really. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Just to keep it objective:

Eve, WoW, Runescape: you can grind your sub money.

Runescape's f2p still has LOTS of content (and like Wurm, the nerf is kinda real if you go from subbed to f2p).

Basic Wurm's a drop cheaper than your average (subbed + 1s a month deed).

"Full" Wurm as I like to call it requires a 3-5s a month deed to have ample resources and room to be creative, so $17ish a month, still within the average but starting to tickle the "pricey" line.

"Gold" Wurm already requires 2 subs, one's main and usually the convenience priest... which means you're also paying for a properly-sized deed much more often than not, so $25.  That's already expensive for the industry average.

Granted, that's gonna fluctuate depending on things like your patience/luck to forage for coin, if you got a trader and how you deal with said trader deed (i bought a discarded one and it paid about 5-8s a month, not bad all in all being postnerf and all, won't share the trick it's so simple everyone should know it by now).

So is Wurm cheap?  Depends on your greed and available playtime, long story short.

It was cheap for me until you heathens talked the devs into ship teleports and sank what could have been a lovely shipping industry.  TUKKERJERBS!   (I'll never forgive that).

8 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

I can think of one immediately, Runescape.

Runescape being another once Java game, had a large amount of free to play content. Additionally the cost for one character in that game is $8.00 USD, and includes Runescape 3, Old School Runescape, and iirc their trading card game.

And on your second point, yeah I cannot think of a game like that. I personally hate the fact people play this game to actually make money, but my personal opinion does not change the fact.

• Like 1