Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Animals Not Turning "Fat"

I've got a lot of animals on my deed, they are all fed daily and have the [15:32:51] He is very strong and has a good reserve of fat. - message. However, even though that happens, they don't get the attribute "Fat". I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it's been like this for a while now and I'm just wondering if it is normal or not. It doesn't seem normal to me. It happens with all kinds of animals. I play on Xanadu. 

Animals are on enchanted grass & normal grass, but neither turn fat.

My apologies in advance should this only be the case with me.

maybe the new movement code is giving them more of a workout....

• Like 1

(Possibly pointless WU code extrapolation below)

Interestingly, the increaseFat() function is only called both when their hunger is low, and when their nutrition is above 10%.

I don't know what nutrition level grass gives but maybe they somehow fell below that value and grass isn't bringing it back above?  You could try picking a test animal and feeding it a meal that would give a player high nutrition, see if that kicks it in gear to get fat again.

I've been having animals go 'fat' myself, so I don't think fattening is broken in general.

• Like 3

Mine are turning fat but it's a very, very slow process. 

My question is: How long is "a while"? It can take some time for the fat to accumulate.

Other players seemed to notice longer time than apparently has been: (GL-Freedom)

[14:55:55] <Eladia> anyone else noticing that their animals aren't eating as much as normal?
[14:56:53] <Madnath> yeah, they're finally on a diet
[14:57:37] <Eladia> my chickens don't produce as many eggs when on a diet
[14:57:48] <Eladia> and it takes longer for babies to reach fat stage when dieting
[14:57:53] <Eladia> at least on my farm
[14:58:31] <Rixk> hmm.. this i noticed yesterday, that my neighbors horses are already at mature stage, but still not fat
[14:59:06] <Eladia> i have been seeing it for about a week i think but i wasn't positive

Is it at all possible that this is related to the hunger and nutrition changes introduced by the cooking update a while back? Maybe animals need to get hungrier now before they eat? Just an idea.

This has happened a time or two in the past.  Yes always after an update of some sort but generally it is fixed in about a week but this is lasting longer.  Can someone please help us help our poor animals?

Thanks

Anything happening with this?  I still have animals that are not fat and my chickens are just not eating/producing like they should.

My starving wildcat managed to turn fat from me feeding it, but carnivores also get hungry much more slowly, so I don't know how much this information helps.

Everything seems to be slowed down. I have a diseased animal, isolated from others by over 10 tiles (horse), that I groom 5 times a day and in a week it has not lost disease. 

I keep my animals in enchanted 1x2 tile pens, each pen with only one single animal, and since I breed them all the time, I make sure they're well fed. Yet, even aged animals have not turned fat. Some animals have, but most do not. 

Ok, all my animals appear to be 'fat' except for one. It is a branded horse attached to a cart (I have no permissions on this large cart) standing in a rice field. Can horses graze in a rice field? not sure. but this horse is not 'fat' and is standing in a rice field.

I do have full permissions for this horse, it is branded to my deed and I am the mayor. But when I go to feed this horse, it says ... [23:41:37] The venerable Brisknorth '3sC0rBlF 4f20171121' does not seem interested in food right now.

So there you are.  A venerable horse , not 'fat', standing on a rice field tile which is 'sprouting'. The event read out says '[23:43:15] She is very strong and well nourished.'

Sounds sort of similar to this thread. So I post it here.

TeeeBOMB

PS: While standing there, I saw the following posted in my event tab... '[23:47:02] The venerable Brisknorth '3sC0rBlF 4f20171121' grazes.' So that horse is grazing just fine on a rice field tile. Just it is not 'fat' yet.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
more words

Most of my pigs did go fat today but they should have over a week ago.  My chickens and pigs are still not eating much from the piles.  Most of the food is rotting rather than being eaten.  My egg production is in the crapper while this is going on.  I sure wish someone would look into this for us.

Despite always having food available (seeds on the ground, crops on tiles) i've had animals eat and eat and pack tiles but still end up starving, i generally check them daily, if not more and i see them grazing but only a couple actually got fat enough to survive the bug

Alternative explanation: Animals eating food from the ground aren't gaining as much food/nutrition from that food, because of the changes in the new food system.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case, but possibly another relevant factor.

I do not know the specifics, but I do know that polling creatures is different and weird when players aren't around.  Try idling alts in the locals of your animals and see if that clears up any of these odd behaviors.

Examples: when my old deed was always abandoned except for my weekly visits to breed and sort animals, I'd have horses age up all the way from newborn foal to adolescent horse and they still wouldn't show as "fat" on mouseover.  One time I had a bison get diseased and it stayed diseased for months, no matter what I did to isolate it.  Eventually a neighbor set up a trader alt nearby, and that old deed suddenly had someone in local all the time.  Things immediately went back to normal, with foals getting fat before advancing to horse, disease cleared up as you'd expect, etc.  Many months later, he stopped logging in those trader alts all the time, and now it's back to before, with perpetual disease and not-fat adolescent horses.

Edited by Noizhead
  • Like 1

That may be part of the problem but it just seems odd that it is something that is a recent change.  I only have this problem very rarely and it is generally after a client update unfortunately.  I wish that someone would check into this and find out exactly why it is so we can all stop guessing.  (and fix it after they figure out what changed to make it start happening please.)

• Like 1

This is all server-side stuff, so a client update wouldn't really have anything to do with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Noizhead said:

I do not know the specifics, but I do know that polling creatures is different and weird when players aren't around.  Try idling alts in the locals of your animals and see if that clears up any of these odd behaviors.

Examples: when my old deed was always abandoned except for my weekly visits to breed and sort animals, I'd have horses age up all the way from newborn foal to adolescent horse and they still wouldn't show as "fat" on mouseover.  One time I had a bison get diseased and it stayed diseased for months, no matter what I did to isolate it.  Eventually a neighbor set up a trader alt nearby, and that old deed suddenly had someone in local all the time.  Things immediately went back to normal, with foals getting fat before advancing to horse, disease cleared up as you'd expect, etc.  Many months later, he stopped logging in those trader alts all the time, and now it's back to before, with perpetual disease and not-fat adolescent horses.

I like this example, however I'm online on alts 24/7 and on my main about 12 hours a day, so that's not really something I have to try because it's already happening. There are always people around, with very few exceptions. 

Honestly, I'm not sure what this is or if it's intended or not, so at this point all I can do is wait for official feedback.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, Noizhead said:

I'm going to add that I've noticed this going both ways - I've had horses on a deed I dont visit often for months, hitched to a wagon on pavement, and they didnt starve.

Since you are a master of everything code related, does the fat status/eating etc interact with pregnancy?

I've had some animals failing to give birth constantly and wonder if it is related with this thread.

• Like 1

Pregnant animals definitely eat more, which is painfully obvious with non-grazing animals like pigs and seals.

My pigs are still giving birth without losing fat status.  A non pregnant pig used to eat 5 pumpkins a day.  A pregnant one would eat 10.   Right now if they eat 1 a day pregnant or non pregnant it is a miracle.  I haven't lost any pregnancies yet though.  All of this is on deed too.

Code wizard insights:  "fat" on mouseover shows up when the creature's fat layers exceed 120, but the examine message is for having fat layers over 100, so the examine message shows up first.  Fat layers cap out at 125, for reference.

The next time you see a "fat but not fat" animal, use Get Info on it to check its fat layers.  If there's no cases of a creature having >120 fat and not showing as fat on mouseover, the question becomes "why is the creature not eating or grazing (or not getting hungry in the first place)?".

Get info on one of the newer pigs.

[17:25:08] You decide to classify a young pig using numbers.
[17:25:08] Stamina level 65535, damage level 0.
[17:25:08] Hunger value 8974, fat level 50, nutrition level 0.0, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.
[17:25:08] Normal stamina regen true.
[17:25:08] Kingdom is no known kingdom, leader is none, hitched to none
[17:25:08] Not busy doing anything.
[17:25:08] A young pig targets none, and fights none
[17:25:08] He is carrying 0 kgs in inventory and 0 kgs equipped.

And the Get info on one that should have been fat long ago.

[17:28:47] You decide to classify an adolescent pig using numbers.
[17:28:47] Stamina level 65535, damage level 0.
[17:28:47] Hunger value 2565, fat level 116, nutrition level 21.617321, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.
[17:28:47] Normal stamina regen true.
[17:28:47] Kingdom is no known kingdom, leader is none, hitched to none
[17:28:47] Not busy doing anything.
[17:28:47] An adolescent pig targets none, and fights none
[17:28:47] He is carrying 0 kgs in inventory and 0 kgs equipped. 

Using your numbers, it will show up as fat soon.  They are still not eating though.  I think there is something that has got the animals not eating like they used to.  I don't know what but I know that they aren't eating from the ground.  So there is a problem just noone knows what it is or why it is happening.

• Like 1