Batta

Wurm Startup hangs

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just in the last 2 days, when I click Wurm Startup, it just hangs for a very long time. More than half the time, it remains in "Not responding" for so long that I have to just shut it down and try again. I just removed, then reinstalled WU on my computer, in case that was the remedy, but now I can't get in at all.  It is just stuck at "Not responding," with an annoying black rectangle in the center of my screen that appears to be always on top.

Does anyone know what might be going on, and how I can get back into the game?

EDIT:  After a full 5 minutes, I finally see the server list to sign in from. But when I click any of my toon names, it takes another few minutes for it to register. Something's definitely not right here.

Once I have the proper toon name up, it is all normal speed again, and I can log in to any server without delay or problems.

Edited by Batta

I have a vague memory of having had some similar type of problem in the past. That time, there was some file that I had to empty and then all worked fine again.  Is that helpful in figuring out what's wrong, or maybe it's totally unrelated. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Posted (edited)

This is the usual causee of the launcher loading after about a 5-10 minute hang, occurs also if you change characters to an alt, but not if you change servers:

scroll down to the part where Bigsteve mentions keybindings. It does not happen so much anymore because the issue was "patched", but Retrograde says people who still have their original keybindings from before that period may never have gotten it cleaned out right (or it could be the bug was reintroduced  ... naw)

If this is the issue it will be happening gradually over time getting worse and worse till it is nearly unplayable. The way to know is to check the filesize of keybindings.txt -- if it is 3kb this is not the issue. If it is closer to 10 megabytes, it is the issue.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Posted (edited)

Aha!  It was keybindings that was mentioned before!  I had forgotten. I do have old keybindings, so THANK YOU for this help!

EDIT:  This completely fixed the problem I was having. Thank you very much @Brash_Endeavors

Edited by Batta

Here is what I would probably do in your case:

1) rename keybindings.txt to OLDBINDINGS.txt

2) launch the game with NO keybinding file so that it regenerates a fresh "new" one that is covered by the fix

3) open OLDBINDINGS.txt, and copy paste anything you want from your old file into the new one (leaving out of course any spammed/duplicate lines). Save the file. .Delete OLDBINDINGS.txt so you do not try to reuse that file in the future.

4) Now you have a "good" updated, personalized keybindings.txt that should be covered by the fix so this whole thing does not repeat itself again in 6 months.  

If you keep the old file, just "cleaning it up" of duplicaate lines, then it looks like you are still vulnerable to the bug and will have the issue again down the road when you might forget how to fix it (and next time the solution might get missed if no one notices your next post)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

6 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

If you keep the old file, just "cleaning it up" of duplicaate lines, then it looks like you are still vulnerable to the bug and will have the issue again down the road when you might forget how to fix it (and next time the solution might get missed if no one notices your next post)

I deleted it completely and did a fresh download of WU. Do you think that is enough, or would I still have to do this?

well usually that would do it but I thought you had already tried that? 

I just removed, then reinstalled WU on my computer, in case that was the remedy, but now I can't get in at all.

49 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

well usually that would do it but I thought you had already tried that? 

I tried it before I deleted the keybindings.txt file