Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

[Fixed] Item pile window closes, even within Take/Open range

Situation: Clicking "Open" or "Take" in context menu on a nearby pile of items, when close enough for these options to appear.

Expected behavior: "Take" option puts items into inventory and "Open" opens window to view and move pile contents.

Actual behavior: "Take" works as expected. "Open" opens the window to view contents, but this window immediately closes with no chance to take or move the items inside.

Why this is a bug:

1. If I'm close enough to take items from the pile, and put items into the pile, then I should be close enough to interact with the pile in other ways, such as using "Open".
  2. If I'm not close enough for the "Open" command to successfully function, then it should not appear in the context menu, and should not open the window momentarily before closing it.

I’ve noticed the same issue recently.  Am building a large tunnel. As I navigate my cart to each tile to grab the rock shards, I’ve gotten the same behavior Ostentatio describes.  I’m using the Preview client.

I actually added the same bug today to the list of issues.  I'll add this forum report to the case.

• Like 1

Additional note: This may happen more often to me when I'm riding a wagon and/or when there's a slope, or height difference involved between me and the pile.

This sometimes happens when picking up piles of foraged items from in a cart.

I think that this is happening because:

a ) the maximum distance from the pile that you can initially open the pile, is bigger than b )  the minimum distance away from the pile that the pile then automatically closes.

a  ----------will open-----  Pile

You                     Pile

<-----------will close---- b        Pile

To solve the problem, b ) must be bigger than a )

Temporary Player Solution: make sure you are between b ) and the pile:

If it happens to you, move closer to the pile and open it again - you should find it stays open.

I'm wondering if they use a different sort of distance calculation entirely, for instance one taking height difference into account and the other only using x,y distance. Not sure, but it would make sense, considering how inconsistent it appears to be.