Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Holy Scrolls

A new ability for priests that would add more use for their spells, and widens the ability to market their trade. 

New Item: Blank Holy Scroll

Skill used for Creation: Prayer

Procedure: Activate statuette, right click paper, select Pray. Item turns into Blank Holy Scroll of (God name)

New Item: Holy Scroll of (God name)

Procedure: Activate vesseled gem with enough favor for spell. Right click Blank Holy Scroll. Cast desired spell. Gem is consumed regardless of remaining amount of favor in gem. The scroll spell strenght will be determined by the cast.

Usage: User must be of the same faith as that of the scroll. Can be either a follower or a priest. User activates the scroll and uses it the same way as if they were casting a spell. Upon completion of the cast, one of three things happen: 

1) The spell succeeds at the effect level the priest casted on the scroll at. The scroll is consumed.

2) The spell fails and the scroll is consumed.

3) The spell fails critically as per normal and the scroll explodes. If enchanting, the item suffers from shatter procedures as per the spell (item shatters, takes damage or resists). Explosion of the scroll always results in an upper body light wound. (Arms, chest, head or face).

When casting a spell from the scroll, soul depth and prayer are used to determine the degree of success of the cast.

Thoughts?

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 3

It's good +1

Basically enchant vellum 

selling enchant scrolls like LT, COC, WOA, Frostbrand, BT etc would create a great new market for priest players.Just make sure the paper can be created by priest characters

+1

So, as a caster I would have to:

vessel gems

make scrolls

burn those vesseled gems (even if they had more room or more favor) to make an enchanted scroll

burn through tons of gems and scrolls to create a highly enchanted scroll. 

Sell this to someone who then has to:

Apply the enchanted scroll to their item and hope it doesn’t shatter

hope it remains as high of a power as the scroll 

and if they fail and don’t shatter the scroll is gonna be burned up or lower power than what they bought?

not sure how this is marketable. I can’t see a priest making these and I can’t see a customer buying them. 

I like the idea, not the specifics mentioned. Perhaps we can discuss tweaking it some? What alternate skill could a follower use to create enchanting power? 

If suggest priests enchant the scroll (max enchant value = to the priests channeling skill, or some kind of curve for things like bloodthirst)

then the customer could burn the scroll for a chance to enchant their own item equal to the RNG game all priests suffer (just not using channeling since that would render all this pointless)

make the enchanting of scrolls have a similar success / fail to the normal enchant, but any non failure results in the “scroll or circle of cunning (95)” or whatever. (95 being the channeling of the priest who cast and also the max possible value from using the scroll)

that would keep the current enchants market about the same I think, but also allow priests an alternative option to sell and allow someone to enchant themselves. 

(On my phone, this could have been written better.. sorry)

• Like 2

The power of the scroll is the same as the power of the cast. Priest cast on the scroll.as usual and gets a result. That same power level is the one the user gets upon success - the result is not rng, its exactly the same cast the priest got. The user does not cast the spell, they simply transfer it from the scroll.

The idea is to prevent people from buying scrolls instead of priesting, but still leaving priests as a viable option. The suggestion is very heavy against using scrolls to enchant (Priests already can do that, use them) but works for other things such as a carry-along heal scroll or an instant dispell or oakshell. You can still enchant, but its impractical.

Even a scroll with a high level enchant is good. If your scroll was casted at a 95 coc cast, you can past that on to a weapon with a succesful use. But you might rather just mail it to, say, Smilingcat, and use it, because is cheaper.

You can't, however, have Asheram mail you a Cure Medium.

Why Soul Depth? Because this is meant to be a second option to Priests. An alternative, not a replacement. If there is a risk the scroll will fail or blow up in your face, you might rather just take your friend priest along, rather than buy a scroll, but the option to buy/make them is still there.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 2

While I like the idea because it consumes gems, I'm against allowing followers to cast spells.  Especially the non-enchant spells.

I like the idea to use for example to have a LoF in the inventory to not be forsed to have a priest in every battle.

And expensive enough to create to be a viable option in the long run.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

While I like the idea because it consumes gems, I'm against allowing followers to cast spells.  Especially the non-enchant spells.

9 minutes ago, Tedzogh said:

I like the idea to use for example to have a LoF in the inventory to not be forsed to have a priest in every battle.

And expensive enough to create to be a viable option in the long run.

Thats the idea, so its an option, but not a replacement of a priest. Making them expensive makes it so people just don't carry piles of scrolls with them to spam. 

I also do get the sentiment of not allowing followers to cast spells, which is why I suggest Soul Depth is used. Making them difficult to use makes your priests still your go to for spells.

I think this idea came up already, though the usage of gems directly is new here. Per se not a bad addition either, because last time people were too worried about priests spamming measly papers with random enchants on them.

I think this would still do wonders for marketing spells like Strongwall and Courier(You can pick it up from a starter town, don't you dare smartass me with "How would you receive the scroll then?"), it's such a hassle to travel somewhere for one cast and it just increases the price for travel fees, too. All of the time I see a "WTB Strongwall cast"  I don't even consider sailing out for 2 hours to stand somewhere for 3 minutes,.

One slight oversight I see is this though: Gems store twice the favor they have in QL, so this will need some special rules for spells that use more than 100 favor. If it just went by available favor in a gem, then a +60QL gem would effectively allow single priest casts of spells like Mind Stealer, I think that's not the desired outcome of this?

• Like 1

It would, but is that such a bad thing? It would do away with the need for batteries for those who cant afford their personal one, but still make it so expensive that you cant just spam cast it with scrolls. It would still provide the benefit of linking. 75+ql gems are not cheap or plentyful enough as to just spam cast with them.

While i like the idea in general, i don't like how inpractical and harsh is as alternative for casting on items...Would rather have them maybe act as runes either you have small chance to transfer that exact power either they puff. But +1 nevertheless in any form, having atleast strongwall, heals, buffs, etc. as purchasable scrolls would be nice

8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Thats the idea, so its an option, but not a replacement of a priest. Making them expensive makes it so people just don't carry piles of scrolls with them to spam. 

I also do get the sentiment of not allowing followers to cast spells, which is why I suggest Soul Depth is used. Making them difficult to use makes your priests still your go to for spells.

Your suggestion is only addressing half the problem.  You are forgetting scrolls for the faith bonuses, so Smeagain followers can get the +25% damage bonus too...then we definitely don't need priests anymore.

In all seriousness, this might be a suggestion to be implemented as part of the "priest religion overhaul" that Wurm needs.

• Like 1

It gets a +1 from me (of course), though how a follower is going to get the faith to use my genesis scrolls....

52 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

It gets a +1 from me (of course), though how a follower is going to get the faith to use my genesis scrolls....

Of all the people who would respond to this thread, I was expecting you the most. I wanted to know what you'd think. :)

Followers dont need favor nor faith, nor would priests with the scroll. That is the main reason why a vesseled gem is used to make the scroll. The priest cast the favor on the gem to fill it. Once full, the gem is used to make the scroll. Then the priest casts the spell onto the scroll spending the favor once again. When the user of the scroll casts the spell, he is using the favor that was stored on the gem to release the energy on the spell. This energy is stored on the scroll just as if it was the vesseled gem consumed. Hence, a single scroll contains 2x the favor a normal spell would. There is no need for a follower to add more favor to it.

During my planning of the mechanic, I thought about the fact that people could just sit down and spam cast scrolls to use them later to avoid havig to spend the favor. The solution to this problem is using gems to create them. A priest can already carry gems and cast the spells just fine, so using a scroll is just pointless to them when they can just fill up their bar with a gem. It only become useful when they purchase a higher skill scroll for example (a 98 coc cast scroll someone else made) so they dont have to spend countless hours casting it. I know a lot of people who would pay good money for that. Still, someone needs to sit down and cast it.

And, of course, friendly priests could offer discounts for folks who provide the gems ;)

• Like 1