header.png

Magranon's Run - Jakerivers

Hi Everyone!

I'm back with more news, after surviving on Emoos stream, defeating a silly noob who dared to pick a fight with me, and have all the latest of what's been going on in the dev halls (at least what I'm allowed to share) So let's go!

But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Changes and additions:

• Heal spell will now heal a minimum of 30% and scale up to 100% depending on cast power.
  • Sacrifice creature success for missions will now take player FS and creature CR into account:
    • Weaker creatures will be able to be sacrificed at more health.
    • The existing requirements of 50% health or less will remain the cap.
  • Mission descriptions will now display the movement timer reduction upon completion of the mission

Bug Fixes

• Bug fix: Artifacts can no longer be placed inside saddlebags/saddlesacks.
  • Bug fix: You can no longer remove the string from a bow unless the bow is in your inventory.
  • Bug fix: You can now mine out of a cliff tile without getting an error message.
  • Bug fix: Fixed various spelling and text errors.
  • Bug fix: When opening a gift inside a container, the contents will go into the player’s main inventory.
  • Bug fix: Smelters and kilns should no longer take damage when on deed and upkeep is greater than 30 days.
  • Bug fix: Tree stumps should once again match the tree woodtype.
  • Bug fix: Creation of Sandstone parapets should now use the proper quantity of sandstone bricks.
  • Bug fix: The action cycle for completing a fence will now cancel if the player is in the way of completion.
  • Bug fix: Global spells cast by player gods will now correctly announce the deity name of the casters.
  • Bug fix: Missions will now display there correct karma per item when requiring multi part items.
  • Bug fix: Guard tower ritual missions will now spawn correctly and display tower name as well as kingdom affiliation.
  • Bugfix: Tile item count will be checked for items dropping on creation and being unloaded in order to prevent piles of more than 100 items.

Mac compatibility

Now some mac users have been experiencing a lot of issues with the client on mac, and we're pleased to announce with the latest client update the issues should now be resolved. As previously mentioned, settings will not work correctly when launched from ingame, but will work via the launcher, so use that! A better solution is in the works but may take a little longer to come, so stay tuned. 

A new dev on the block
Last news we mentioned increasing our focus on addressing some of the long standing bugs within the game, and our plans to ramp up addressing bugs. While we slay a significant amount with each update, all games seek to remove as many as they can, and we're no different here. As part of this, Someone who may be recognised from the forums, Darklords has joined the dev team! 

Darklords will be working on us in addressing bugs and testing of larger features, he's been a long time player of both Epic and Chaos and we look forward to working with him, so give him a round of applause! (Or condolences)

Visual improvements
One major thing in the works is the addition of specular and normal mapping to textures. To those of you unfamiliar with these terms (as I was, Saroman nearly went mad explaining it to me) I'll touch on them both:

Normal maps: Normal mapping is a layer placed over an existing model, that simulates more lumps and bumps, allowing for rendering of shadows and light without actually requiring complex lighting calculations or more heavily detailed models, this means models and textures will look less flat without causing major performance penalties.

Specular maps: Specular mapping is a way of dictating how a model or texture "shines" on certain parts, e.g. Making that golden part of a model shine without the stone part shining too.

both of these will add quite a significant change to just how a lot of things look and feel. Their introduction will take some time, as they require creating a normal and specular map for every texture, so they will be coming out in batches over a period of time, and we'll be sure to let you all know when they do! 

Shades of green, and red, and yellow, and blue

Last news had a riddle, which many of you all had guesses at, and some got it right! This week, I get to show off the new creature condition colours returning! 

Now I know what you're all thinking, creature colours looked like they'd been playing around in my workshop, and all left drenched in dye (or blown out of a nostril), but fear not! Saroman has been again hard at work (along with Samool too) and is in the process of giving these fine creatures makeovers, check it out! 

conditions.jpg
The lovely little cave bug models in this picture also have the normal and specular mapping, as you can see their shells look very different (and not just because of the colour!)

Wurm streaming and content creation! 

We (I) are (am) currently in the works of introducing a program to support those who take their time and showcase just what they get up to in wurm, be it streaming or youtube, we want to support those who make wurm more fun to watch and play, so we'll be working on helping you all through various means, including promotion through our social media and the possibility of partnering up with us for some streams! Of course there will be some requirements and expectations from streamers, but stay tuned for that coming out soon! 

Now there's more in the works, and soon we'll be able to share it, along with a semi firm release date and perhaps even public testing (now what could that be?) 

Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 32

Is it just the internet broken, I just noticed the header is not loading either. 8(

Edited by JakeRivers

Nice, loving the way those bugs look!

Speaking of which, are those cave bugs or some new critter?
EDIT: Yeah, cave bugs. I thought they looked unfamiliar, but I guess that's because of the upgrade to model quality.

Edited by Ostentatio

Congratulation @Darklords. That is easily the best news update I have read in awhile just knowing you are joining the dev team.

• Like 1

Grats Darklords!

New model mapping sounds exciting, though could be fun to hide an easter egg checkbox in a menu to turn back the old vivid colours of animals with condition :P

Edited by Jaz

Very nice, cant wait to see unicorns with rainbow glitter manes as a result of specular mapping and creature colours. Yes, do it! Maybe we could even put them in crates someday.

Most know "footprints in the sand" to be about how it was jesus' footprints but in reality it was saroman and samools

• Like 5

Congratulations Darklords! Welcome to the dark side, there are no cookies.

The new colors look amazing :D  Good job all, as always.

The cave bugs look excellent. I can’t wait to see the other models!

First news update I've seen that's all about introducing bugs. :) I like it!

• Like 3

what about the armour updates from epic? When are we getting those on Chaos? Everyone wants them

• Like 2

Just trying to imagine the size Attenia's deed will end up being once she gets 2 of each 'conditioned' color gathered up.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

what about the armour updates from epic? When are we getting those on Chaos? Everyone wants them

It would be nice to see this arrive on Chaos soon so that they can be enjoyed there as well.

• Like 2

Dyable weapons and other wearable gear such as backpacks and quivers, when?

Classified image of Darklords at work on his new position.

bug_slayer_by_wraeclast-d86s8hi.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Just trying to imagine the size Attenia's deed will end up being once she gets 2 of each 'conditioned' color gathered up.

Am already over half way! :D

4 hours ago, Samool said:

YYpyob3.jpg

The "depth" of the texture looks amazing!

It is quite hard to evaluate from a single image but isn't the surface of the wall a bit too shiny? I have a feeling like it have a protective resin like finish.

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The lovely little cave bug models in this picture

What beautiful cockroaches! Almost makes me a bit less repulsed by them, so I may leave them be to skitter around. Naw. *squish*

=Ayes= 

Edited by Ayes
rev .
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Samool said:

YYpyob3.jpg

OH THANK FO FINALLY YES THAT'S AMAZING.

(Will I need an 1180, 32GB RAM, and an i9 to run it maxed out on 4k though? :) )

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

That is some cool work there Samool, will that make my video card melt at TOC?

I was surprised to see my latest construction make it to the news header, thanks.

I will set the building to public if anyone is curious to see the inside layout, not much done yet. It is located at H21 in the southern part of the desert at the base of Nadroj's mountain project on Exodus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaz said:

It is quite hard to evaluate from a single image but isn't the surface of the wall a bit too shiny? I have a feeling like it have a protective resin like finish.

Looks pretty natural to me, stone gets that shine when it's slightly polished (and not dirty)