Sign in to follow this  
Wulvarik

Horse Speed Calculator

I butchered together some decompiled WU code into a horse speed calculator to see how much of an effect the various factors (traits, weight, gear QL) can have.

To use it, go to the link below:

https://pastebin.com/5DAbyiwy

Copy the code presented there, then go to this link:

https://www.jdoodle.com/online-java-compiler

Erase anything in the box, and paste the code you copied.

Click Execute at the bottom to make sure it gives some output.  That'll be for an untraited, ungeared horse, being ridden by somebody carrying 50 Kg of gear.  Even if it's not being factored in for the speed boost, the horse's weight value still has saddle/shoes added in since I assumed that would be the most likely thing tested.  Set mountCarriedWeight to 0 for a true reading of an ungeared horse.

(My comments say that unicorns are exempt from soul strength checks, but don't take that as a hard truth.)

Set the values in the first little bit to whatever you'd like to see, then Execute.  Make sure to set isSaddled, isShoed to true to see those values have an effect.

Based on the creature's soul strength the traits will flip on and off at random, so in-game you can expect the actual speed to fluctuate anywhere between the min and max values.

Feedback and reports of any inaccuracies are appreciated.

Disclaimer:  This comes from WU code, who the hell knows what WO code really says, but they're usually pretty similar.

• Like 2

>Based on the creature's soul strength the traits will flip on and off at random

I have heard this before and always wondered -- do creatures of a specific type  (unicorn hellhorse horse bison bulls etc) all have a static number for their species? IE all horses always have the exact same soul strength as other horses? I have heard this as explanation of why hellhorses can sustain their top speed much easier than horses can -- because HHs have much greater soul strength -- but is it a static number>

Or do horses act more like players, where they have have individual increases in soul strength that change as they age or advance?  Adolescent vs Venerable? Also I have seen Wurm players arguing before whether horses for instance can increase skills, with anecdotal stories about people "teaching" their horses to skill up their fight skill... in some skill based games, players would even "skill up" a creature such as a dragon, teaching it to advance its fight skills until it became nearly unbeatable by players....

Is it possible for one horse to more consistently reach and keep its max speed compared to others, they all are capable of the same top speed just some horses have some advantage in soul strength in reaching that maximum?

If Rolf was going to bother to give animals the same "body skills" as players, it seems he might have also given them means to increase their skills?

all mobs have set starting characteristics, which varies by mob, age doesnt effect it. ridden horses actually gain soul strength for every minute they're ridden by players coz of trait checks but it'd take months of nonstop riding to be a noticeable difference, in wu a gm can change its soul str to make a certain horse more/less likely to use its traits.

mobs can gain skills same as players if they use them (weaponless fighting and such), and also gain fighting from kills.

ill go ahead and necro this again. i believe the soul strength gained by riding does not persist over restart anyway. just figured id leave this here incase someone randomly comes looking.