Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Defensive + Armor proficiency skills instead SOTG

Remove SOTG, so it won't force players to choose one meditation path if they want to pvp.

Add 3 new armor proficiency skills:

- light armors

- medium armors

- heavy armors

Each of those skills would modify DR in given type armor parts. Additionally skill level could affect player speed for each type of armor.

Additionally, defensive fighting skill could modify DR, to get replacement of SOTG, without need to grind meditation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I enjoy my SoTG as it is.

You are the only one.

• Like 3

wurm doesnt have a place for new skills, if theyd need to rework everything required to add skills you wouldnt see this before ~2025.

sotg is the only thing insanity even has, if you remove it, might aswell remove the whole path at it is right now.

you people keep talking about reducing the pvp requirement, so changing one somewhat slow skill into 4 different skills that you have to grind, whats the point?

+1 to thinking outside the box. :) I'm not sure that would be -the- solution, but SotG is too obvious a choice, and too necessary for PvP.

I agree that SOTG needs to go, it's stupid. Makes you wait for months before you can properly go out and fight. If it was a skill you could actively grind i would be ok with it. But meditation you can't grind, meditation is stupid, it's RNG, and you can only get 5 ticks per day no matter what. Getting sotg is like grinding faith to 70 with no sermons. Just awful.

Your defence skill is a good idea to which i would say +1 if i didn't know what kind of game this is and what kind of devs we are talking about. Basically, it's a really good idea, like the cold/warm April Fool's prank, but just like the prank, it will never happen

Yeah, I also do not believe that devs would think "oooh, it's great idea, let's get to work!".

It's just an idea to motivate people about other suggestions how we could remove/replace sotg to shorten the pvp requirement.

My mood on SoTG varies with time... sometimes i think it should be gone, sometimes i think it be equivalent to the damage boost from the path of hate (so meditate to be a tank/fighter/crafter/grasstender). My main issue is that the defense boost is awarded immidately after reaching a certain level in the path rather than a gradual increase. If it takes level 8 to make it, then level 4 should have half the defense benefit of level 8. For level 1 it should be an eighth, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

My mood on SoTG varies with time... sometimes i think it should be gone, sometimes i think it be equivalent to the damage boost from the path of hate (so meditate to be a tank/fighter/crafter/grasstender). My main issue is that the defense boost is awarded immidately after reaching a certain level in the path rather than a gradual increase. If it takes level 8 to make it, then level 4 should have half the defense benefit of level 8. For level 1 it should be an eighth, etc. 

they already changed it to give partial increases rather than giving it all at once at lvl 11.

this was like close to a year ago i guess.

13 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

They changed it to start from lvl 7 giving 6% and for each level up to 11 lvl it gives 6% more, in total 30%.. they made it slightly faster to get ready...

but still.. having to relate on a meditation path to pvp which can take serious amount of time is just plain mad considering new players cant just jump in the pvp since sotg is mandatory. Grind a year or two since u have no idea what u do as a newcomer (half of the time not even seasoned players know what they are doing) and maybe you can participate in wurm pvp, only thing that kept me going and when i get to pvp server... lol.. sure there is some action, but its hilariously stupid how much you have to spend time making new gear as well if you happen to die to better team / player. Time is the biggest issue that stops people to play this game unfortunately, but i guess thats why u need path of insanity, you go insane literally.

+1 to idea of removing sotg being mandatory and +.5 to this idea as well not sure if this is the way to change it tho. We need people to be ready to PvP faster, meaning gear and skill wise, besides you might of played half a year or a year before even realized the benefits on meditation if there is no one to teach.

• Like 1

Oh yes, the age old argument about 'new' players being too weak, guess what, they are weak because they are new players and there is nothing stopping a new player from doing pvp, sure they can't rush out and solo a group, or stand toe to toe with a older player, but they sure can take part in pvp, just need to be smart about it and no you not going to go toe to toe and to hang back.

Just because you prefer to take a different meditation path does not mean the others need to be changed, its already been changed twice, first it was reduced and now you get it even at lower meditation levels.

Kinda knew someone would bring up that "old argument" crap, it isn't just about being weak, its also about having to learn the mechanics of the game which takes tremendous amount of time also. Sure you can be effective even as a noob if you take a long bow, grind it fast to 70 and start shooting from the distance to enemy horses or naked dudes back (if there is someone helping). Sure you can jump into pvp life from day 1 and help a kingdom on different projects and from that gain stats that improve your usefulness or hell even engage in close combat, being smart on a group fight when u get picked off by few better players, you get down with few hits and there is nothing you can do about it since no one can heal you that fast nor you can move anywhere with plate set. Other armour types aint really viable, but sure you can use them tho.

Besides this thread was about removing SOTG bonus being attached to meditation path, not removing the benefit itself, just bringing it back on a different form so you ain't that squishy like you would be without the bonus and not use months to gain it.

Meditation paths needs a rewamp anyhow.

ok so the problem with SOTG is that there is no other viable choice. No normal account owner will choose power, hate, love or knowledge over insanity because it is simply suicidal. One hugeaxe to the head of a 40 body strength dude without sotg = 50% health. He's gonna die in 2 hits. 

(what i mean by normal account owner is an account around 40-60 body with decent but not insane fighting skills, so no 80 body strength monsters, at that point it shouldn't matter what meditation you choose, but few ever get there)

Meditation should allow for more CHOICE in pvp.

Love is useless, absolutely USELESS. It does nothing, you will not receive more healing if you get  oneshot in 12 seconds by 2 angry dudes with hugeaxes. 

Power is highly situational in the sense that i would only see it as a viable meditation path for a 1v1 because you'll have more stamina than your enemy, using LT to stay alive. A 1v1, thats it. Most pvp is not a 1v1.

Hate is really bad. Out of all the fights ive had the past months MOST if not ALL of them required me to fight for longer than the 15 minutes it gives you +50% damage for. And just to mock you further, there's an ability that lasts 2 minutes. 2... minutes.... I PISS longer than 2 minutes.

Knowledge does nothing pvp related,its as if you had 0 meditation skill . 

You wanna know what a kingdom on Chaos will tell you when you join up? If you know nothing about meditation?

"Go insanity"

You wanna know if there's anyone, any ONE person on chaos that will tell you otherwise?

There isnt.

1 hour ago, Themystrix said:

They changed it to start from lvl 7 giving 6% and for each level up to 11 lvl it gives 6% more, in total 30%.. they made it slightly faster to get ready...

Ah, better than nothing, no wonder i didn't realize the slight difference.

-1 then

7 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I enjoy my SoTG as it is.

This.

Make Sotg the base for every account once you reach 70 meditation. Allow account to level the tiers automatically as you progress up Meditation.

From there you can go on to the choices of love, hate and power whilst keeping SOTG. [We're all weak without it]

Make it so in PVP love gives extra resistance against resistance on LOF, Full heal and make LT work properly.
make it so in PVP Power gives extra buff to pillars and attacking spells, resisting against resistances 
Hate will remain how it is, but we all know it can be dispelled.
Make Knowlege the go-to-path for new players/people grinding. Once you come off a Knowledge path you have 3x faster timers up until you reach the path you left towards another path. 
This will give the benefit of grinding without the 6 month[?] block of crossing paths to pvp. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Make Sotg the base for every account once you reach 70 meditation. Allow account to level the tiers automatically as you progress up Meditation.

From there you can go on to the choices of love, hate and power whilst keeping SOTG. [We're all weak without it]

I get it, but at the same time, why not balance damage and DR so SotG would no longer be necessary? Nostalgia? :)

Make it so in PVP love gives extra resistance against resistance on LOF, Full heal and make LT work properly.

I like it.

make it so in PVP Power gives extra buff to pillars and attacking spells, resisting against resistances 
Hate will remain how it is, but we all know it can be dispelled.
Make Knowlege the go-to-path for new players/people grinding. Once you come off a Knowledge path you have 3x faster timers up until you reach the path you left towards another path. 

I'd also provide affinity protection for PoK, as well as increase the chances of getting a PvE affinity while on PoK (and maybe also increase the effect of MS, since that's really to help newbies skill stats faster).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valodis said:

-1 leave Sotg alone and start meditate!

It's not only about effort (in time) for meditation, it's also about forcing people to choose one and only path if they want to participate in pvp.

It is not just about SoTG, you guys just looking for excuses once again, the new player ruse was mostly the epic folks heading over to chaos and not happy being stuck for months on end without the advantage.

Now people say you dieing too much, could it be just the armor you are using? Poor play style? You already got healing nerfed into the ground and you still can't deal with someone with a good account and SoTG?

Maybe players should just lay down on the ground when you want some pvp so you can get your loots and go back to your consul games.

That so many people choose one meditation path out of five just shows how incredible unbalanced meditation is. But armour skills dont sound like good solution, it does not make sense.

You do understand that meditation abilities are for everyone with a premium wurm account to enjoy?  There are some paths that favor pvp and others that favor pve, and that is OK.  You are allowed to pick your path and change your path as many times as you would like, where is the problem?

PvP is all about the decisions you make:

Whether or not you are going to put in the effort to develop your character.

Whether or not you are going to use a certain meditation path 

Whether or not you are going to use real armor or throwaway gear. 

Whether or not you are going to skill up taming to ride a hell horse. 

Whether or not you are going to be a priest.

Whether or not you are going to do HOTA. 

Whether or not you are going to play with this group or that group etc. 

Make your decisions and play the game.  Hopefully one day you'll eventually decide to stop whining about meditation paths.  

There are always COD type games if making decisions is too hard for you.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

It is not just about SoTG, you guys just looking for excuses once again, the new player ruse was mostly the epic folks heading over to chaos and not happy being stuck for months on end without the advantage.

Now people say you dieing too much, could it be just the armor you are using? Poor play style? You already got healing nerfed into the ground and you still can't deal with someone with a good account and SoTG?

Maybe players should just lay down on the ground when you want some pvp so you can get your loots and go back to your consul games.

im sotg in scale, whats my excuse for wanting a better system?

Make your decisions and play the game

is isn't really a choice is it. Go Sotg or get 3 hit.

There are always COD type games if making decisions is too hard for you.

wurm must be cod because you're forced into a path for a play style. Taking the suggestions above, you'd actually have to make a decision so whats the issue here?

Edited by Mclavin

Got almost 90 meditation. Had no problem with any decisions or effort from my point of view. But I can see that it could be a problem for a new players, even after months, to jump into pvp fights.