Sign in to follow this  
CIRAY

Adjust Orb of Doom Mechanics

According to the WU code the Orb of Doom currently has a 1/20 chance to actually work when used. By this I mean the Orb only has a 5% chance of actually damaging creatures (that is, all players/tamed pets + untamed animals) in a 5x5 area around the user, and that's before the individual rolls to see if the creatures marked by the Orb resist or are damaged by the affects of the Orb. On top of this, there's also a fairly high chance of the user being killed by the Orb on use. I'll also note, the chance to resist the affects of the Orb are determined by your soul strength, although if your health is low enough (<10%?) you automatically resist the Orb. This means, the Orb cannot be used to finish off players.

So, to put this into perspective, imagine player A is carrying the Orb of Doom and runs into a group of players and uses it. First, there's a roll to see if it passes the 1/20 chance of actually working. 1 of 3 things can happen:

1.) If you get EXTREMELY lucky and it works, then each creature marked by the Orb within the 5x5 around the user (including the user himself) has an individual roll to see if they are damaged by the affect of the orb. This is where soul strength comes into play; higher soul strength increases your chance of resisting the affect of the Orb. If you resist the Orb, you take no damage. However, if you are damaged by the Orb it ignores armor and only accounts for DR from body str/Champion status/SoTG. Also, if the user fails the second roll, he is insta-killed. 

2/3.) Now, if the user fails, then it does a separate roll to see if the user lives or gets killed instantly, which is also influenced by the users soul strength. 

I also did a bit of testing to get an idea of just how often the Orb is successfully used:

20 uses with a 30 soul strength account:

- 11/20 I died (55% chance of dying).

- 8/20 nothing happened.

- 1/20 the Orb was successfully used.

20 uses with a 40 soul strength account:

- 4/20 I died (20% chance of dying).

- 15/20 nothing happened.

20 uses with a 50 soul strength account:

- 2/20 I died (10% chance of dying).

- 17/20 nothing happened.

20 uses with a 60 soul strength account:

- 1/20 I died (5% chance of dying).

- 18/20 nothing happened.

20 uses with a 70 soul strength account:

- 19/20 nothing happened.

So, with that said I'd like to suggest 2 things: 

1.) The Orb's success rate should definitely be increased to work more often (75% of the time?), otherwise there's simply no point in using it. Why bother going through all the work of locating and digging it up, then recharging every week if there's next-to-no chance of it even benefiting you in PvP when used?

2.) The chance of the user being killed on a failed use needs to be adjusted so it's less likely to occur. Currently, the average account has between 35-45 soul strength, so based on the results above there's a fairly significant chance they will be killed when trying to use the Orb. IMO there should only be a 10% chance, at most, of dying on a failed use, otherwise there's just too much risk for it to be worth using. 

Edited by CIRAY

I think the base idea of it is really bad as well. I mean, lets say they increase the chance of the orb actually working significantly, to the 75% you speak of, then , the only way you could use it efficiently is going into a group of enemies by yourself like a suicide bomber. Not only would that be highly exploitable , but you could even do it on an alt, one in plate, one that has nothing to lose. What im trying to say is, even if you have an artifact you shouldn't deserve to deal massive amounts of damage on the spot like that.

In fact, artifacts need a revamp in my opinion, things like  : Glass ear of Vynora, it serves NO purpose, no clue why anyone would want to risk their lives every week to recharge an item that gives you a gem every now and then...  A gem.... The Eye of Vynora is also relatively useless cause locating somebody is way too easy, on an 80 channeling champ it will take you a max of 5 tries to locate ANYONE no matter their nolocate ring's power, Mouthh of Vynora : 1 sleep bonus per 12 hours... ok, but WHY? Why would i want to risk my life for 1 silver? 

Ok, these are unique items and they do have their cool abilities and all, but they are not balanced at all. Anyone in the right mind would rather have the shield or the Rod or the Crown instead of the mouth, eye and ear.

tbh if the orb was working successfully to the point it was actually used, it would just be way too overpowered

It should probably be changed to something crazy like you use it on yourself and deal 25% more damage but take 25% more damage and announce it in event tab in orange, maybe give the user a red glow, maybe play rip & tear from doom ost in the background

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I think the base idea of it is really bad as well. I mean, lets say they increase the chance of the orb actually working significantly, to the 75% you speak of, then , the only way you could use it efficiently is going into a group of enemies by yourself like a suicide bomber. Not only would that be highly exploitable , but you could even do it on an alt, one in plate, one that has nothing to lose. What im trying to say is, even if you have an artifact you shouldn't deserve to deal massive amounts of damage on the spot like that.

In fact, artifacts need a revamp in my opinion, things like  : Glass ear of Vynora, it serves NO purpose, no clue why anyone would want to risk their lives every week to recharge an item that gives you a gem every now and then...  A gem.... The Eye of Vynora is also relatively useless cause locating somebody is way too easy, on an 80 channeling champ it will take you a max of 5 tries to locate ANYONE no matter their nolocate ring's power, Mouthh of Vynora : 1 sleep bonus per 12 hours... ok, but WHY? Why would i want to risk my life for 1 silver? 

Ok, these are unique items and they do have their cool abilities and all, but they are not balanced at all. Anyone in the right mind would rather have the shield or the Rod or the Crown instead of the mouth, eye and ear.

1.) Orb isn't really all that over powered when successfully used tbh, check this video out and watch Mclovin's health go down by a whopping 10% tops: 

2.) Each arti has hidden benefits that most players don't know about. I won't outline them here, since this isn't really the thread for it, but they are more useful than you think ;) 

On 4/9/2018 at 6:23 PM, MrGARY said:

tbh if the orb was working successfully to the point it was actually used, it would just be way too overpowered

It should probably be changed to something crazy like you use it on yourself and deal 25% more damage but take 25% more damage and announce it in event tab in orange, maybe give the user a red glow, maybe play rip & tear from doom ost in the background

+1 for combat music.  i want rage against the machine to play whenever enemies enter local

Edited by Alexgopen

I hate this needs to go to suggestion it isn't a if or maybe it's a do it. We need a demmands and commands section. 

• Like 1