Sign in to follow this  
Halucino

Read mod

Hello all

(This my first post ever. Please be kind...)

I just discovered there are pieces of furniture used for decoration only. Among those are the bookcases (large and small).

Wouldn't it be great if we could:

• right-click select "read", "peruse", "thumb through", etc (different verbs, randomly) and improve our mind stats (one at a time) by a small, even tiny amount? It would have to be a small amout and a longish action timer, so it would not be abused. (Also, I voluntarily left out body stats, as I believe these should be improved by doing things)
  • add books bought or found in the game to these bookcases. Each book would allow to improve a specific skill. We'd then select the book, and select "put in bookcase" to add it to our collection. Books would have a base price that would be quite a bit, say the cost of a large ship or something, even though the "market" would soon regulate itself. A properties file or a table in the database would define the list of books available on the server (title, skill improved, max skill reachable, ql). The amount of boost would depend on the ql and be partly random, and cap at max skill.
  • once added to a bookcase, one could right-click and choose "study", then choose a book, and imp that skill specifically. Again a small amount, capped, and a longish action timer.

Large book cases could hold more books than small bookcases, of course. Also, books could not be improved but would decay if left outside, and would be damaged by fire.

Priests or people with mind stats above a certain level (high) + a high skill level in a particular skill would be able to write books, thus adding new ones. The QL of the books thus created would depend on the ql of the leather or paper used and the skill or mind stats of the writer.

What do you say?

(Edit: mistypo)

Edited by Halucino
  • Like 2

Would like to see bookcases have a real use, been asking for it since they were released.  Adding books and a real use for writing to the game is also something I've asked for as well.  It may very well take a WU modder to make this happen since WO devs haven't :)

Edited by Nomadikhan

At first i`m sorry for my bad english :)

I`m trying to create mod that you asking for.

1) You can create a blank book: Activate leather on paper sheet and choose "create".  Need 1 leather and 10 paper sheet, uses papyrus making skill.

2) You can try write a book of skill: Activate reed pen on blank book and choose "Write the book". At first you must have papyrus making skill more than 50. You will receive list of skill for writing a book. If you chosen skill is lower than 70, you will fail.

In other case you will receive "tome of skill"

3) You can study that tome and receive small amount of skill. Activate hand on tome and choose "Study". The quality of the tome influences the number of experience in that skill.

4) You can put the tome in bookshelf. Activate tome on high/low bookshelf and choose "Put the book". In high you can put 20 tome, in low 10.

5) You can reed something from bookshelf. Activate hand on bookshelf and choose " Thumb through". You receive a small amount in skill depends of what book was put on it, or only in one of mind/logic/speed if there is no book inside.

6) You can create a cover book: Activate leather on paper sheet and choose "create".  Need 1 leather and 1 paper sheet, uses papyrus making skill. Simple container.

Almost all you can change in properties. Hope you like it :)

https://github.com/mpsmonk/wurm-mods/  and bookshelfs.7z

• Like 1

Seems when trying to write the book - and you do not have the needed skill it goes into a infinite loop saying "You can't seem to make up your mind. You need more skill..."

Also, it seems the tome of <skill> is a onetime study only ?

Studying once, and the book is gone.

yep tome for onetime study, bookshelf for many, but tome give more skill 

Edited by Druward
edit

14 hours ago, Oluffus said:

Seems when trying to write the book - and you do not have the needed skill it goes into a infinite loop saying "You can't seem to make up your mind. You need more skill..."

sorry you was right, fix it.

Edited by Druward
edit

@Druward 

how do I compile this mod for use??  I cant seem to figure it out!