Sign in to follow this  
Chestburster

[Bug] Stealing skill has been broken for awhile

On any pvp server when you attempt to steal something you always get the message "You cannot take this item as it is in use.". This happens after meeting all the requirements such as turning off faithful and lawful.

As far as I've seen and heard from other people it only happens when you try to steal from the same kingdom.

It has been broken for a pretty long time. 

Steps to reproduce:

1. Meet the requirements to steal by turning off lawful and faithful if you follow a god that doesn't allow it.

2. Turn on stealth. Not sure if this affects stealing or not but either turning it on or not both produces the same error

3. Attempt to pick up any item that has the "steal" option.

4. You will not be able to steal even though you should and will get the message "[19:40:50] You cannot take the *item name* as it is in use.

• Like 1

Do you have steps to reproduce it? Never seen this before or heard people complaining in our chaos group about it.

25 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Do you have steps to reproduce it? Never seen this before or heard people complaining in our chaos group about it.

it relates to the actual action "steal", so like in a fully walled house or something.  stealing counts as an action so basically as far as I know you can't steal the item because it's busy being stolen

zeke had posted it a while ago.  I ran into it too a while back trying to drop alignment by stealing offdeed for a bl player god convert

11 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

it relates to the actual action "steal", so like in a fully walled house or something.  stealing counts as an action so basically as far as I know you can't steal the item because it's busy being stolen

zeke had posted it a while ago.  I ran into it too a while back trying to drop alignment by stealing offdeed for a bl player god convert

Its an issue when you lockpick inside a house and cant take items without bashing a wall first. Makes lockpicking into houses pretty pointless.

Only happends when you are stealing from same kingdom as far as i know, thats been around for well over a year fyi!

Also applies to take permissions sometimes for me. We have a public barracks/workshop, where sometimes people can't take stuff even with proper perms since it says "that item is in use". 

No response and still not fixed after my hiatus. A dev response to this would be appreciated.

This has been on the list for a while.  I'll add this post to the bug.  The repro steps are listed in the bug.  Thanks for the reminder.

With the steam servers up and many new players being added to PvP I think it's time we fixed this. First thing that comes to mind with the parent skill Thievery is stealing which the wiki makes clear is a big part of Hots and what often attracts new players to the faction.

I've had to tell a couple new players already that the stealing skill has been broken for nearly 4 years and still hasn't been fixed. It isn't a good look for the game.

Edited by Chestburster

On 4/9/2018 at 6:56 PM, Darklords said:

Just to note I also reported this bug back in 2017, and it wasn't a new bug even then. It would be good to see it finally fixed.

Came across this not long ago when i killed a spider on someone else's deed, butchered it but wasn't allowed to take out the contents. Tried stealing but apparently it was still "in use".