Sign in to follow this  
koroth

Priests creating altars

Ok, this has been bugging me for quite a while, and I don't fully understand it.

Why are priests penalized for making altars for their OWN deity? I just had a Nahjo priest have to go unfaithful to complete a stone altar closer to her workplace (for strongwalling). This single action resulted in a -0.09999998 point loss of faith. I could understand having this penalty for creating altars to other deities (which isn't even possible), but why for their own? Priests should be able to promote their own deities across the realms by building traveling altars. Likewise, they should be able to destroy altars of those that don't belong to them (they are even given a spell to do so). 

I would like to see this corrected if possible.

• Like 2

No, I know they only need to bless these altars, I'm talking specifically about wooden and stone altars.

I would like to see a portable altar for priests. One that doesnt give any influence over the area, but instead is strictly a place to pray and to sac items for travelling priests doing strongwall, courier, genesis etc... 

• Like 8

So your suggestion really should say, 'Remove Priest Restrictions'.

• Like 1

^ Is he asking to build houses? Smith armor? make bows and imp them? No, please stop trying to sound like a smart ass on every thread.

So priests are allowed to bash towers so just make it so they can also build altars. Don't really see an issue tbh.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Corwen said:

I would like to see a portable altar for priests. One that doesnt give any influence over the area, but instead is strictly a place to pray and to sac items for travelling priests doing strongwall, courier, genesis etc... 

That's a really cool idea.  Maybe they carry a bowl, and a cloth table runner, then build a base to place them on from local materials where they are?

They can pick up the bowl and cloth runner when they're ready to go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

^ Is he asking to build houses? Smith armor? make bows and imp them? No, please stop trying to sound like a smart ass on every thread.

So priests are allowed to bash towers so just make it so they can also build altars. Don't really see an issue tbh.

would make it too easy to pop out altars all over on the pvp servers, right now you are limited to metal altars when about or a non priest following a specific deity

on freedom its fairly easy to make metal altars or find someone to make those for you, no point in destroying the faith of your priest to just save some time running back and forth

9 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

would make it too easy to pop out altars all over on the pvp servers, right now you are limited to metal altars when about or a non priest following a specific deity

Erm...  So how are these priests going to get the materials?  Sounds to me like the existing problem would still be around.

45 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

would make it too easy to pop out altars all over on the pvp servers

What's stopping followers to do just that if they really put their mind to spamming altars for some reason? Surely a priest on PvP has a backing of some toons following their deity.

35 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Erm...  So how are these priests going to get the materials?  Sounds to me like the existing problem would still be around.

They could at least take materials with them produced by their congregation. But all in all, they'd still be pretty much as limited in that they aren't entirely self-reliant, so it's not really that big a deal if they could assemble stone and wood altars.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

priests can create a finished sword, but they cannot assemble a sword display.  they can put one sword on and then it's suddenly blasphemy to add the shield and other sword

it doesn't really make sense, both are "simple" creation, and not imping.  hell, we used to have a chance to create unfinished items, which let priests actually craft.  they could create an unfinished sword, which "finished" by actually imping it.  unfinished items were removed to make it easier on noobs but that actually allowed priests a chance at grinding crafting skills to an extent

just let priests assemble items.  not imping, not building houses and fences.  it even makes more sense from a "lore" standpoint.  take missions, priests are the most devout followers of the god, but they get punished if they wanted build monuments for the very same god?  I can't see how it would promote everyone being a priest or be like removing priest restrictions.  it would just be generally a good qol update and promote the health of the game

• Like 9

Yes, a priest should be able to craft an altar for their deity. 

11 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

would make it too easy to pop out altars all over on the pvp servers

You give us the old "it breaks PvP" reasoning. I'll give you the old "so many things are different in PvP and PvE, why not just enable it in Freedom servers then".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Yes, a priest should be able to craft an altar for their deity. 

You give us the old "it breaks PvP" reasoning. I'll give you the old "so many things are different in PvP and PvE, why not just enable it in Freedom servers then".

pls, jake is PVE, i am pvp i don't see why it would break pvp lol.

For the sake of balance make the "portable" altars have no destroying penalty for anyone.  If an abandoned one ain't bothering, it'll be left in place, if not anyone with a maul and 2 minutes can take it down.

Wandering about is one of the few things a priest can do given all the restrictions, I say make wandering great again.

Edit:  For the sake of PvP, have it so that they can only be planted in their god's influence or on neutral influence ground.  Generates no influence when planted.

Edited by Mordraug

+1 for creating multi-ingredients item restriction remove, but not for houses/walls

Maybe have an altar that is created out of sticks and grass and is portable?  You can sac and pray with it.. ZERO influence beyond the tile its in.  Massive decay rate as in wont last more then 24 hours.  That way people can make and use and it alters nothing and is dominated by any other altar if its dropped into a tile on another altar.  I dont know how hard all that is to code but it would be nice.. Heck maybe not even an altar how about a box.  or item or something..?