Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

CPU Temperatures / Preview Client Java and Linux

Hi - Please assist with these 2 queries:

1. CPU Temp rising on higher Wurm Online settings

When using lowest settings, CPU temp remains at 32-35C, when using higher settings, within a couple of minutes, the CPU temp rises to over 66C.  

CPU has a dual fan water cooling unit.

Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
Hexa core AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core (12)
Radeon RX 580 Series (AMD POLARIS10)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Network Card: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000DX002 size: 2000.4GB
Memory: 7114.7/16040.0MB (4x DIMMs)

Test Example:
2x Wurm characters on lowest settings + Shroud of the Avatar on highest settings (released on Tuesday) temp remained in the 40-48C range.

To have reasonably good settings without the overheating, please advise what settings can be changed to fix this? 

Please be very specific in your recommendations, as I am not a techie, (altho my son is).

2. Testing preview client Java and Linux

As the latest Java 8 161 has a known problem of high CPU usage - see:
https://github.com/chatty/chatty/issues/227

- is the new Preview Client **fully** compatible with jre1.8.0_151 (as it is the 2nd latest Java version)? https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/release_dates.xml

And are all the major Linux issues with the Preview Client now resolved? Using Linux 16.04 Ubuntu.

Thanks very much, in advance and in hope.

Baloo

• Like 1

Interesting.. I have an AMD 8-core and the red devil overclocked version of your rx580 8gb card, but I can run wurm on max setting and am doing fine on heat.

I'd still be interested to see replies as well, as potentially this could affect me in the future.

1. While I'm not all that familiar with water cooling, your temps on higher settings seem just fine. This is of course a certain thing, the higher the settings are (in general), the higher will be the cpu usage and with it the temps.

The settings that can affect it the most are water reflections, shadows, tile decorations and general render distances.

2. The preview client won't have a problem with an older Java 8 version but I'm pretty certain that we are unaffected by the bug you linked.

So far I believe most if not all Linux exclusive preview client issues have been solved, please do report any you find though.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:10 AM, Baloo said:

As the latest Java 8 161 has a known problem of high CPU usage

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure the bug you're referencing has only been reported as affecting Windows 10 computers, so I'm not sure it applies to the Linux client. 

Other than that, Samool's suggestions probably make the most sense if you want to bring down the temperature down.