Sign in to follow this  
Delacroix

Introduce more threatening mobs onto Freedom.

As a brand new player, running away from stuff was actually fun.  I loved the danger and having to keep an eye to the near horizon as I traveled.

Eventually it did get tiring that things like crocodiles never stopped chasing me.  It did get old.

Wouldn't there be a way to keep the most dangerous beasts to only certain parts of the map?  Maybe only certain biomes?

Or having them only aggro on players over 70FS?

There's sort of a precedent in the code regarding beasts ignoring certain players such as Fo priests.  Maybe that can be recycled somehow.

The noobie thing I don't think would help as this isn't so much a "time in game" thing.  Plenty of people around for ages wouldn't want to deal with these beasts either, and it shouldn't adversely affect them.

I would love to see nogumps on freedom, give yas something to really run away from.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cecci said:

-1,I oppose to elitist thinking, we need newbies to have fun.

Instead use less good gear to increase difficulty.

"reading is too hard"

+1 only if they can easily be outpaced by a newb on foot

1 hour ago, Delacroix said:

"reading is too hard"

Care to elaborate on that comment?

5 hours ago, Cecci said:

I'm sure he would, but writing is too hard :lol:;)

10 hours ago, Cecci said:

Let's go down the list:

On 3/31/2018 at 9:24 AM, Delacroix said:

Give them a phobia of deeds, and make them slow enough to easily run away from so that newer players aren't screwed, but make them more difficult than trolls with skill gain appropriate for it. Perhaps adding a version of valrei mobs, or something entirely different. Could even be a reskin (blue!) of trolls, if creating something new, or importing and tweaking existing mobs requires too much time.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:46 PM, Cecci said:

It's almost like your post has nothing to do with the original post. So there are four potential reasons for it:

1: You posted in the wrong thread.

2: You can't read.

3: You're trolling.

4: Use your imagination for this one.

4 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I'm sure he would, but writing is too hard :lol:;)

It's almost like some of us have engagements outside of the game, like a job or social life.

Edited by Delacroix

Your assumptions says more about you than about me.

You want more threatening mobs, I want a newbie friendly game.

You are one of the elitist thinkers I mentioned above.

Go out and hunt naked and/or barehanded.

Edited by Cecci
added fistfight

3 hours ago, Delacroix said:

It's almost like some of us have engagements outside of the game, like a job or social life.

oh take it easy...

if you've read my responses then you know I'm looking for ways to support your suggestion.

You could have simply addressed Cecci's and Yaga's concerns regarding new players, even if only copy pasting your own words on the subject.

That's how people with jobs and social lives get things done.  They compromise where need be and try to reach consensus so things can move forward.

Unless they're voted into office, then all of that gets thrown out the window.

As for just making the harder beasts easy to run from, a noob could easily be injured, out of stamina, heavy, lost...

Why expose them to it at all.

There is also Cecci's idea of going all Chuck Norris on their arses but we have such cool stuff, we should be able to use it as intended.

6 hours ago, Cecci said:

I want a newbie friendly game.

remove all trolls and hell hounds!

newbs are going to die no matter what, its like that in any game really, but in wurm they got buffed with cool armor and low agro radius, how much more newb friendly do you want the game? newbs are not going to be newbs for ever, except for army of course

• Like 1

you want a newbie friendly game? ask for them to make anything aggressive passive then a newbie can and will die to wolfs brown bears rats mountain lions wild cats and so on

every simple tiny mob they can and will die to until they get the hang of it

im all for more mobs make them slower less agro range make them stand out region lock them do something that makes them different from others that shows to anyone "oh i should avoid this big giant slow moving blue troll that everyone warned me about even though i can take on a single troll now" or day 1 newbie out hunting for a pelt "oh look a white wolf i better stay clear of that as i know of black bears and brown bears and i bet white wolfs are more powerful"

add in more mobs make them stand out and newbies will enjoy hunting more and everyone will

it takes a newbie maybe 2-3 hours to get a silver which can net him a ql 70 long sword and shield easy and some cheap ql 50 chain give him a week and he will have good gear and good tools and prem time and he can take on trolls easy

adding in more mobs only makes hunting more fun and last longer especially if certain mobs ignore you unless attacked or your above a certain fs like blue trolls could look down on you and think of you less then a rat(or goblin?) and completely ignore you unless you try to poke it with your newbie stick

there are so many ways where it will remain newbie friendly yet give a more enjoyable experience for others that its silly not to think about them and some of these ways could be really creative

this also leads to some of my older topics i made in the past but troll villages and goblin outposts basically area's where trolls and goblins wander to and create decorative huts(pre defined setups trees cut down stuff like that) and they either have a unique in them or a chieftain or leader depending on the size and age of the camp

there are so so many ways that you can go with this be it completely new monsters or new behavior or anything but in the end of the day 99 out of 100 idea's will be newbie friendly anyway

• Like 6

They don't want the game to be more noob friendly. They want it to stay as noob friendly as it is, at least that's all that you can infer from opposing this suggestion. Trolls and hell hounds can be a real pest for noobs straying off the road and away from treaded ground, but with some luck and agility you can outrun these, too. And while on the road, guards will always sufficiently have your back. I don't know if as much applies for Valrei mobs, if those were to be brought to freedom, which would be bonafide death traps.

So...just make them passive and let the devs go nuts. A bit immersion breaking perhaps, but instead of just "harder mobs" I'd like to see some sort of miniboss mobs that wait for challengers, may need a very skilled fighter or at least a few people and preparation, but have a chance for some spicier loot, even if just a small one. And boss fights usually have to be sought after by the player to start.

If it isn't going to be passive Valrei mobs because that's too silly for those who experience the "real deal" over at Chaos and Epic, we can surely think of some other mobs that may justify dropping some other loot?

There could be rock golems of different types, for instance, whose corpses can be mined for whatever material they're made of, acting as a vein with a few hits, but with 100QL as a cap (As all corpses are 100QL, strangely enough). Golems would be reasonably tough, make sense to be generally peaceful until provoked, would certainly stand out from other mobs as challenging nonetheless.

And Treants to do the same for wood? (treant corpse = 100QL felled tree worth maybe 2-3 logs max) They may even get mad at players chopping wood nearby, but that should issue a warning as a popup.

I'm jus going a bit wild with my imagination here, I'm not sure what niche those mobs would provide with that loot, just trying to strike a middle ground between giving them somewhat desirable loot without jumping the shark, it all depends on how rare these mbos would be, too.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Flubb said:

There could be rock golems of different types, for instance, whose corpses can be mined for whatever material they're made of, acting as a vein with a few hits, but with 100QL as a cap (As all corpses are 100QL, strangely enough). Golems would be reasonably tough, make sense to be generally peaceful until provoked, would certainly stand out from other mobs as challenging nonetheless.

And Treants to do the same for wood? (treant corpse = 100QL felled tree worth maybe 2-3 logs max) They may even get mad at players chopping wood nearby, but that should issue a warning as a popup.

I'm jus going a bit wild with my imagination here, I'm not sure what niche those mobs would provide with that loot, just trying to strike a middle ground between giving them somewhat desirable loot without jumping the shark, it all depends on how rare these mbos would be, too.

I love these suggestions. The reason why I didn't necessarily suggest special loot drops is simply because of how uniques work already, and the issues caused by their rarity. Ideally, these would be at least as common as hell scorpions, and would provide a good chunk of skill gain to related skills. This last one is a stickler, because if you aren't on Chaos for whatever reason, you're in for one hell of a slow grind currently.

• Like 2

I want more and more difficult aggressive mobs on Xanadu. I also want a newbie/builder-friendly game. And that is not even a contradiction - because both is possible at the same time.

It just needs a better spawning system and a migration algorithm that doesn't rely on random directions.

1. Spawning: spawns should take into account distance from starter towns. The closer to a starter town the weaker the mob should be. Same for spawning of lairs.
  2. Migration: the closer to a starter town a difficult aggressive mob is (say hell hounds, scorpions, crocs, trolls, the like), the more likely it should move away from said starter town.

There two rules alone should safeguard new and/or casual players. Can blame the templars in the starter villages for it, even mobs should be able to learn that approaching a bunch of templars is an unhealthy attitude.

• Like 4

On 4/3/2018 at 0:46 PM, Cecci said:

Shouldn't be a problem if said mobs are easy to spot and easy to avoid. Maybe even docile. Mammoths pls

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maximillian said:

Go fight the avatars :)

It's kind of missing the whole "with appropriate skillgain" part. They're also too rare.

Edited by Delacroix

1 hour ago, Delacroix said:

It's kind of missing the whole "with appropriate skillgain" part. They're also too rare.

They give really good shield skill ticks!

I feel like this issue could be fixed by creating a server intended for hunting that has much higher difficulty enemies, maybe have building be allowed in the southern half for hunting lodges and what not, And disallowed north. (Newbies can't start here)

When newbies feel like they're ready and have their gear they sail to this map to hunt stronger enemies. They can bring the challenge to them instead of being overwhelmed right off the gate.

Make creatures with conditions spawn occasionally without lairs + the occasional rare valrei mob. Maybe have trolls carry deadlier weapons and goblins that spawn in groups and carry weapons. Sorta low scale goblin leaders.

Just fun stuff like that that will make combat more interesting and make the player think more on how to approach a fight and defeat enemies. OH! and have it be covered in mycelium.

+1     Gimme some thieves and robbers jumping out of the woods to tangle with   :D

Well short version is +1 ..

Longer version: Depends.

Valrei mobs would be a nogo. Speaking as someone who played on Epic and often got hunted as a noob by legions of drakes, eagles (which bypass walls btw), would pretty much kill not only newbies but people with average skills and just lead to grief. As for avatars, even worse. They do internal damage, are fast and hard to take down. 

Best case would be to delineate "Danger zones" on the map, far from people's deeds where monsters have lairs. Maybe even a rare boss inside which has random drops of goodies. A rare random item? Who knows. As long as they don't roam it's fine. But coming from a server which usually had hundreds of roaming valrei mobs which tended to wreck new people's days, it's a bad  idea  to have them roam around the map especially when drakes/eagles can easily kill you if you're afk inside your deed.

+1 to tough mobs, but they have to be regional and contained. 

• Like 1

I'd like a big passive snow mammoth, that will toss you and take a hearty trio or determined single player to take down if attacked!

• Like 2