Sign in to follow this  
Delacroix

Introduce more threatening mobs onto Freedom.

Give them a phobia of deeds, and make them slow enough to easily run away from so that newer players aren't screwed, but make them more difficult than trolls with skill gain appropriate for it. Perhaps adding a version of valrei mobs, or something entirely different. Could even be a reskin (blue!) of trolls, if creating something new, or importing and tweaking existing mobs requires too much time.

• Like 11

+1 freedom is so unrewardingly boring and non exciting it drives me nuts every time i go there. There is no challange. There is no risk. There is nothing that can even remotely make me jitter.

• Like 4

+1 make it obvious in some way that they are not normal difficulty mobs so anyone not up for the fight is able to recognize them from a distance and avoid.

+1 give us a reason to grind those skills up so the stuff we make actually has a reason to help us fighting something strong and maybe return some of the newbie survival flair when venturing out in the deep unchartered lands. ;)

Make sea serpents more common again and a couple of mobs like them.Easy to spot, easy to avoid, but challenging to kill. 

• Like 5

Always +1 to any suggestion to make PvE combat more compelling or options for higher difficulty.

• Like 1

+1 to the idea.

+1 to smarter ai making mobs more challenging as an added tool to achieve the goal.

-1 to blue trolls, I grew up watching the smurfs and blue trolls would just be upsetting.

Purple dinosaurs though, kill em all.

• Like 2

+1 Along with purple dinosaurs, how about enraged elephants that stomp you and toss you with their trunks or furious camels that bite and kick or terrifying tigers that claw and tear or humphing hippos that chomp and drown you or raging rhinos that gore you - all can be fairly slow moving, but v.challenging if engaged.

• Like 1

You could also the the fog spider code and have certain enemies only turn up at night since game days/nights are fairly short.

• Like 3

Beware what u ask for lol, champion nogumps and drake spirits are able to chase away huge numbers of players from the game if implemented not properly, especially considering the fact that most freedommers seem to be using 2handed weapons.

Hard to +1 or -1 this, i would love it myself coz I grew up in the hardest environment in wurm possible (Affliction 1.0) but I think it wouldnt be good for freedom.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

ask for champion nogumps and drake spirits be good for freedom.

+1. Crank it up to 11.

• Like 2

All in favor of this, preferably more than just more skill gain for killing them though, some nice shiny loot would be nice. Rift monsters are one of the obvious ones, could have them drop rift loot, or using the fragment system, x/y of a rift loot item. Im sure other things would be good too but that is what I thought of initially.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Korhaka said:

All in favor of this, preferably more than just more skill gain for killing them though, some nice shiny loot would be nice. Rift monsters are one of the obvious ones, could have them drop rift loot, or using the fragment system, x/y of a rift loot item. Im sure other things would be good too but that is what I thought of initially.

Already have fancy drops on these, valerie items for your deed bonus and a chance for a seryl lump and potions.

I wouldn't mind if there were high danger regions that spawned stuff like this but I personally would be avoiding such mobs.

• Like 1

Put them on a no-deed hunting server and let the devs go wild!

• Like 4

I wanna +1, but adding stronger creatures wouldn't make much of a difference. The only difference between fighting a hell hound and soloing monsters at a rift is that one requires me to hide behind a fence temporarily to heal.

• Like 1

-1,I oppose to elitist thinking, we need newbies to have fun.

Instead use less good gear to increase difficulty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

-1,I oppose to elitist thinking, we need newbies to have fun.

Instead use less good gear to increase difficulty.

I agree. There are other challenges for endgamers - let the newer players enjoy the game without being in panic most of the time!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Yaga said:

I agree. There are other challenges for endgamers - let the newer players enjoy the game without being in panic most of the time!

What are you even talking about? What challanges for endgamers? There is none. At 70 fighting skill you can kill a troll. That is the most troublesome regular mob spawn you can find. Wanna know how long it takes you to get 70 fighting skill? 1 day. a single day dude. about 10 hours of hunting. That's it. No more. So after 10 hours of grinding you can kill EVERYTHING. How is that a challange?

Why should i wear expensive moonmetal / drake armours and enchanted moonmetal weapons when NOTHING can pose a threat to me? Dude i two shot trolls right now. Honestly even the random dragon you find every year is hella bugged and easy to cope with because of how they go back to their spawns after a bit of following you. 

Also, just adding difficult mobs is NOT enough. NOT when you can just ask your pretty little guardtowers to deal with them. Oh, you're a 1 FS new character? NO problem "./help" . Done. You killed a champion troll. Hard as all hells wasn't it? Where is the challange you speak of? I don't see it

• Like 1

I can see both sides of this. It was one heck of a ride to have to run from every little thing as a nooblet, but once I got some training under me, and started being able to handle basics...and work my way through the list of things...I started to learn when to run away and come back to fight another day. Nowadays I can finally kill trolls with a break-off or two to heal up. And I use less than 50 QL weapons as I'm only a 38 weapon-smith. If I had better than 60 QL armor, and a 60 or higher QL weapon, most things in the game would stand no chance, except maybe some of the greenish mobs/champions/uniques.

I wouldn't wish trolls, or anything harder on a new player. I remember getting chased down by a 'raging mountain lion' as a noob, that chased me all the way back to the starter town and dying 2 steps away from the spirit templar that was supposed to save me/was running over to do so. Also traveling up a mountainside with random stuff popping out of nowhere attempting to nom on me...usually a hellhound or a spider. Just me and my cart (Which I had to learn quickly to drop and run and leave behind) Even a set of greenish trolls that 2 hit my horse and killed it, and then chased me down and killed me too.

Personally, there's still plenty to 'fear' on my end...trolls still give me a good whalloping and hellhound fights can go awry rather easily...since they tear me up so much with their lucky multi-hits. I generally don't even take on most champs unless there's a tower nearby to help out...or I can break away heal up enough. People with fancy enchants and high QL weaponry probably have nothing to fear because they can just slaughter everything in sight...that's why they think there's nothing to be scared of. Because they acquired the best gear they could and everything isn't painful to them anymore...once you have 'top end' gear, what should you fear except community wide event stuff...supposed 'end-game' content. I've run across sea serpents before...seen a person fighting a avatar thrown by one. Watched them hit a building. That's the type of 'fun' to be had with harder stuff like those nogumps I hear (Never seen it in action...)

That kind of obnoxious fighting isn't really 'fun' (Trust me, I played LOTRO where they have a woods filled with treants that can do knock-back attacks...and if you get chained into a batch of them they just throw you back and forth and back and forth until you're dead...)

Yeah, they could make some more unique mobs, if they sorted out the AI a whole lot better first...but currently they can't even get them to stay in the right zones....(Horses swimming, seals on mountains, spiders in deserts. Sheep drowning themselves...I could keep going..).

So yeah, I'd accept a few more challenging mobs...if they fixed a bunch of other things first. But newbies should be protected outright from things of that nature...like they will blatantly ignore characters with a below such and such fight skill or something modifier...

• Like 2

Nobody here wants to screw new people; OP and those who agreed have specifically requested for them to be easily avoidable and recognizable as a greater threat. There isn't a speck of elitist thinking in this. I figure most people here wouldn't even mind of those mobs were actually passive, so they have to be actively engaged into combat, as long as they provide a bigger challenge for high end freedomers who are looknig to put their gear and skills to actual use.

EDIT: Just realized that if they were passive, that would also mean you cannot cheat yourself out of a proper fight with guards, which further adds to the challenge that is intended with this.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 4