Sign in to follow this  
Djakal

[No Bug] Dog breeding problem - possible bug

Hello.

I have some problems with dog breeding on my deed for almost a week now. I have a ratio of 35.25 and keep getting miscarriages. I have tried to breed my Old dog 4 times now. 

First time i breed it, it told me 10 days till birth. I enter next day, and when i check on the dog it should have said 9 days but no... It told me that it needs some grooming, its age and that's all. So i breed it again and it told me again 10 days.

Nex day same story. I breed it again and it got to 9 days till birth and after seeing this i log out. Next day again no info and I bread it again but this time it's saying me 9 days instead of 10. I played that day a lot feeding the dog and keeping it in my house. I did that for the next 2 RL days and it reached 7 days till birth, after that i led her to the breeding pen and left there a pile of fish. Next day i logged in the evening and then boomer...no info about the birth. So i gave up for 2 days and yesterday i said ok one ore time... i breed it and it says now 7 days??? weird ... it should have stated again 10 days if it was breed again. I log in today and same story. She is no more pregnant. 

I fed her, left here food raging from meat to mixed grass being careful not to mix them. I had no problems with sheep, cows and horses. They all delivered fine. Only the dog gives me headaches.

Now fi think if it has a miscarriage and i breed it again the days it takes to deliver should start from 10 days not from the remaining days she had at the moment of miscarriage. Second having so many miscarriages one after another on a deed with good ratio is a mystery and it seems i have this only for dogs. As i stated before Cows, Horses and Sheep are ok.

I thought at first it could be a text bug and in reality the dog should be pregnant but if that was the case i should no be able to breed it again.

Sadly i haven't made any screenshots of the event window :( . I already talked before about thins in CA Help and talked with my friend in game as well about this and from the responses i got this is not supposed to happen.

could be the animal cap on the server is too high.  Just a guess.

The amazing thing about Wurm is that there is so much to do, a player can focus on some obscure thing (like dog breeding) and uncover a bug that is 10 years old.  Who knows...  Thanks for logging it.  Maybe the devs will have time to verify/fix this issue at some point.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Djakal said:

Hello.

I have some problems with dog breeding on my deed for almost a week now. I have a ratio of 35.25 and keep getting miscarriages. I have tried to breed my Old dog 4 times now. 

Djakal, please do me a favor and wait until your female dog is 'fat'.  Once she is fat, the breed her and drop tons of food on the ground for her.  Pregnant dogs eat a lot and tend to miscarry because they don't eat enough. Please let me know if that helps your birth rate.

Also, the number of days to birth is random, so that number isn't a bug.

• Like 1

I remember when I bred (champion) dogs in Wurm in 2011, it was so incredibly hard to keep the pregnant mums fed enough, you have to make sure they are constantly eating several times a day  or the pregnancy makes them lose weight way too fast to sustain the pregnancy.

So, I very much agree with Alectrys that this likely could be the issue. Don't start a pregnancy until they are already fat, then keep a mountain of food for them every day. I even used to hand feed mine flasks of stew to monitor they were getting enough.  I don't know what it is with dogs, but that was back in 2011 and pregnant ones needed constant feeding or they would literally turn to "skin and bones". Possibly the fact they are not "grazers" makes caring for the mums tougher than for the ones you can just park on grass/farm tiles and leave alone for a week (cows horses sheep etc).

PS: if you right click and  examine the dog it will give you an idea of body fat:

• only skin and bones
  • very thin
  • a bit under nourished
  • normal build
  • well defined
  • a bit round
  • extremely well nourished
  • good reserves of fat  

Ideally you want to keep any pregnant animal in the last two categories. My bet is that after four back to back pregnancies, yours may be "very thin" or worse.

One of the problems with leaving a stack of meat and logging off for a week, is the dog will eat an entire "portion" every time they get a little hungry, which means they will go through food at a fantastic rate (most of it being "wasted" as they only needed a little but at a full portiong.

One of the reasons I always lobbied for KIBBLE to be added to the game, so that small bite-sized portions could last longer.

A pile of meals might disappear in a day as they eat a full meal anytime their hunger drops even a little. Smaller portions are better than "full meals" for that reason. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Thank you for the reply's. So it turns out it's not a bug ?. I feel bad about this now, sorry for the false alarm. Thou i got now wery usefull info regarding breeding dogs. Thank you alot both @Alectrysand @Brash_Endeavorsfor the valuble info you gave me.

• Like 1