Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Surface Mine | QOL Change

Not sure if this has been suggested but i would like to be able to surface mine a tile that has dirt next to it . As long as the tile corner you are standing on is rock you should be able to mine it down regardless of what the surrounding tiles are. (if it is a tree etc okay but dirt should be fine) 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 5

I know digging has a maximum slope you can dig based on skill.

Does surface mining have that same limitation?

If so, which do you go with?  Lowest of the two skills?

Would the dirt slide down at some point?

Dirt does not slide down when you are digging only when you drop it and since you are not dropping any dirt it would not slide. As far as the skills go it would use the mining skill like always since you are on a rock tile/corner and using a pickaxe.   

Edit: I guess it would have to take into consideration the dirt too but would leave that up to the developers.. all i know is that it is a pain to dig 300-400 dirt down just to fix a 6 slope rock spot.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 4

+1, Only mining on the tile corner, its not like you are making a tunnel.

Pretty sure @JakeRiversand @Wargasmengage in pvp and both -1 this, so I'm thinking there's a strategic danger in allowing this?

Just curious what it might be if you're at liberty to say.

If it is a strategy thing, would making it deed only help?

@Kegansorry man, one more question :)... if we can lower it, can we also raise it with concrete?

+1 regardless, just curious thinking through it.

What, you scared to use a shovel once in a while?

Surface mining is already super easy now.

so no strategic effect at all.  Okay.  Nothing scary about a shovel, no.  Don't think I'd have lasted long in Wurm otherwise.

This isn't changing surface mining, simply access to it.  You can, of course, still clear as much dirt out of the way as you want if that's what you want to do.  This wouldn't impose on your preferences one bit.

Surface mining next to dirt tile would allow to super easy creation of high dirt walls. So instead of leveling up a dirt wall you simply mine under it creating high slope on parent dirt tile.

I am sure this would break the mechanic that prevents random tunnels from forming in dirt tiles.

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

sorry man, one more question :)... if we can lower it, can we also raise it with concrete?

I think it is the same concept more or less so i would say yes but that again is up to the developers.

As far as the others go giving it a minus there are some people that like things to be hard and take forever. There has been loads of QOL changes that some people hated but love them now. 

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

Surface mining next to dirt tile would allow to super easy creation of high dirt walls. So instead of leveling up a dirt wall you simply mine under it creating high slope on parent dirt tile.

That might be true if it was one corner only but you need a whole wall of tiles so there is nothing that makes this any different they would still have to clear the next tile.. etc  (limitations would still be in place for max slope) 

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

What, you scared to use a shovel once in a while?

Surface mining is already super easy now.

Don't make jokes about this, I have Scoflphobia and i find it really offensive that there is a phobia mode for spiders but not shovels. When I was working on a harbor I took my Scofl pills to make sure I can remain calm for the time I was digging and then the worse happened.

Spoiler

F6U2TmN.png

the bottom-most corner is where I had hit rock, and I can't expose it, or any others along the edge, until I bring down the whole edge around it. "You hit rock" or whatever is the message. If my shovel can hit it, why can't the pickaxe hit it? I understand the reasoning graphics wise, but that tile corner IS rock. Its not a huge project at all, but its annoying nonetheless.

11 hours ago, Reylaark said:

so no strategic effect at all.  Okay.  Nothing scary about a shovel, no.  Don't think I'd have lasted long in Wurm otherwise.

This isn't changing surface mining, simply access to it.  You can, of course, still clear as much dirt out of the way as you want if that's what you want to do.  This wouldn't impose on your preferences one bit.

Yes, there are strategic effects, which I will not publicly disclose.  I also -1 this because rock is not something that should be so easily destroyed by John Q Freedomer and made so difficult to replace.

If rock shards could be used instead of concrete to restore a rock layer (just like dirt), I'd have no problem with it.  But I believe modifying rock on the surface SHOULD be difficult to protect the environment from idiots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Yes, there are strategic effects, which I will not publicly disclose.  I also -1 this because rock is not something that should be so easily destroyed by John Q Freedomer and made so difficult to replace.

If rock shards could be used instead of concrete to restore a rock layer (just like dirt), I'd have no problem with it.  But I believe modifying rock on the surface SHOULD be difficult to protect the environment from idiots.

Hadn't really considered removing dirt to be an actual deterrent, but yes, it does at least give you a chance to hear someone digging so you can ride out and find out what's happening in your backyard.

Not sure to what extent making it deed only helps that.