Sign in to follow this  
Sindusk

Revenant - Modded PvE/PvP (3x Action, New Skillgain)

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, MashHiven said:

Have you always hated the slowness of the combat in Wurm, the weapons contantly bouncing off monsters or armor, the rng involved, the semi-afk slow pace of a fight or constantly missing with your weapon of choice?

So true. Even with very high fighting and weapon skills in WO all the glances and misses on the standard mobs are absurd. This new fighting system that Sindusk is working on looks promising and hopefully he will get over the fact that killing all regular mobs should be trivially easy with higher skills in these areas. This would be more inline with other MMO's where only dungeon mobs are then the "challenging" ones to fight, which in this instance are the Uniques and Dragons in WU.

=Ayes=

• Key Fragment Combination
    • We are finally at the point after launch where there are enough key fragments in existence to create a full key of the heavens. This system is designed to award said key to the first player who wields all 50 required fragments.
    • The system requires the player has all 50 key fragments in their inventory at the time of starting.
    • There is no set location, and the combination sequence can be activated from anywhere, including on deed. The full sequence takes about 7 minutes.
    • Begin the sequence by activating one of the fragments and selecting "Call upon the heavens"
    • While the sequence must be completed on Arena (due to the fragments being locked to the server), the key of the heavens must be used on the login server (Revenant). After the sequence is complete, the key is to be brought back to Revenant and used there.
    • When the demigod is ascended, it is highly recommended to wait for a server restart before changing deity via the lights or book of conversion. The demigod will have no spells until the server is restarted, and crossing servers before the demigod is successfully copied to the Arena server will likely cause a faith reset or worse.
  • Leaderboards
    • New Leaderboard: Most Populated Villages - Displays up to 100 villages listed by how many citizens they have, and their current mayor.
    • Skill leaderboards can now be opened directly from the Skills menu. Right-clicking a skill will open a context menu allowing you to view the leaderboard for that skill.
    • Skill leaderboards are now displayed using a quad-gradient color scheme based on the skill level of the player. The color gradient brackets are 0-50, 50-70, 70-90, and 90-100.
  • Combat
    • Shield Block phase has been moved infront of the initial parry phase. This makes shields take priority over your weapon for defense when attacked.
    • Damage is now much less likely to interrupt casting. The ability to avoid interruption is based on Body Control. Higher Body Control will allow players to avoid interruption from more significant damage.
    • Parry and block cooldowns are now modified by skill with the weapon or shield. The amount of penalty applied is now reduced up to half based on the weapon or shield skill level.
    • Creatures now use their natural armour for glance rate calculations. The damage reduction from glances against unarmoured non-players is always 60%. Armour equipped on creatures overrides this glance rate.
    • Uniques and other high-difficulty creatures have been given slightly improved dodge rates in order to bring them closer to their previous status in the CR system.
    • Reduced the ability for creatures with multiple secondary attacks to have them all line up and strike in quick succession.
      • There is now a 2 second internal cooldown on secondary attacks for creatures.
      • When a creature uses a secondary attack, such as a bite or kick, they will not be able to use any other secondary attack until 2 full seconds have passed.
      • This completely disables creature's ability to "triple-hit" during combat or worse. Instead, two attacks in quick succession is the worst they can perform, with their primary attack and secondary attack lining up to strike at the same moment.
      • Creatures with only one secondary attack ignore this mechanic entirely, including players. Only creatures with multiple attacks will be affected by this change.
  • Uniques
    • Moon metal blessings from uniques being slain have undergone some changes:
      • Amount of veins spawned per unique slain has been reduced from 10-15 -> 8-12.
      • Blessings now display a server tab message and relay to the discord #rumors channel if they land within proximity of a deed.
      • Moon metal blessings will now only mention it spawned near a deed if the vein is within 20 tiles of the deed perimeter, down from 50.
  • Miscellaneous
    • Hell Horse and Drake statues now require 45 fragments via archaeology.
    • Revenant Data spreadsheet and Revenant Wiki/Info Document added to the Server page.
    • Spells will no longer display in the list if the item being targeted would not accept the cast. This should dramatically reduce the size of the spell lists considering all the new enchants now available.
    • Traders now restock only one affinity orb each.
    • Resurrection Stones now protect you from losing skill when killed on PvE. This makes them functionally identical to how they operate on Arena.
    • Titan static regeneration rate has been doubled.
    • Kindling volume has been reduced to roughly 1/4th of what it was before. Kindling should no longer take up more space in a BSB than a log of the same weight. Like the change to logs before, a side effect of this change is that all bulk containers will duplicate the amount of kindling inside by 4x. In that same manner, the increased amount of kindling are okay to keep and use.
    • Spirit Trolls now use the Troll King model. They are still ethereal.
    • Weapons no longer display their parry percent when examined.
    • Armour now displays glance rates when examined.
    • The "/help" command will no longer show several GM commands, and will only show commands you can use. Players could never access these commands, but they were being displayed in the help panel anyway.
    • Fixed a bug causing Loot Assistance and damage tracking to not work with the new combat system.
    • Fixed a bug where water was unintentionally being affected by changes to affinity beverages. Water will now refill 10% of the water bar per sip, whereas other beverages remain at 20% of their default effectiveness.
    • Fixed a bug where shields were not taking damage in combat.
    • Fixed an issue where the messages for reflected wounds via AOSP and Thornshell were displaying incorrectly.

• Like 2

• First Player God: Thelastdab
    • Congratulations to Thelastdab, managing to collect all 50 required key fragments in order to obtain the coveted Key of the Heavens and ascend to demigod.
    • A custom event was played in GL-Freedom to allow them to guarantee several of the spells on their player deity. Here were the responses:
      • [02:03:27] <Fo> I offer the following: Life Transfer, Oakshell, Light of Fo, Charm
      • [02:03:30] <Fo> Choose, Thelastdab: Which power do you select?
      • [02:03:59] <Thelastdab> Light of fo
      • [02:04:00] <Fo> I hear you, Thelastdab, and grant you the power of Light of Fo.
      • [02:04:17] <Magranon> I offer the following: Flaming Aura, Frantic Charge, Efficiency, Dominate, Strongwall
      • [02:04:20] <Magranon> Choose, Thelastdab: Which power do you wish to wield?
      • Thelastdab didn't respond in time.
      • [02:04:50] <Magranon> If you refuse to choose, I will choose for you. I grant you Flaming Aura.
      • [02:05:07] <Vynora> I offer the following: Wind of Ages, Circle of Cunning, Aura of Shared Pain, Excel, Opulence
      • [02:05:10] <Vynora> Choose, Thelastdab: Which enchant power suits your needs?
      • [02:05:36] <Thelastdab> excel
      • [02:05:40] <Vynora> I hear you, Thelastdab, and grant you the power of Excel.
      • [02:05:57] <Libila> I offer the following: Web Armour, Blessings of the Dark, Rebirth, Drain Health, Drain Stamina
      • [02:06:00] <Libila> Choose, Thelastdab: What shall be your strongest power?
      • [02:06:15] <Thelastdab> blessings of the dark
      • [02:06:30] <Libila> I hear you, Thelastdab, and grant you the power of Blessings of the Dark.
      • [02:06:40] <Unknown Entity> Upon ascension, you will receive Light of Fo, Flaming Aura, Excel, and Blessings of the Dark
    • These spells were then added to the god, alongside randomly rolled other spells.
    • Some of the randomly rolled random spells were removed in order to keep balance.
    • The resulting spell list is available below, alongside the full log of GL-Freedom when the event was occurring.

Spoiler

[02:01:46] <Thelastdab> [17:53:49] You begin to combine the the key fragments.
[02:01:50] <Unknown Entity> What is this I feel? Something is happening.
[02:01:55] <Unknown Entity> Who is this creature? This... Thelastdab...
[02:01:59] <Unknown Entity> Ah, there you are. Like a speck of dust. I see you.
[02:02:03] <Randalthor> \o/
[02:02:03] <Unknown Entity> You possess a large quantity of divine power.
[02:02:07] <Unknown Entity> I'll take it. In exchange, I will grant you one wish.
[02:02:10] <Unknown Entity> Let's hear it. Thelastdab: What do you desire most? Power? Wealth? Recognition?
[02:02:15] <Thelastdab> POWER!
[02:02:19] <Thelastdab> power
[02:02:26] <Thelastdab> Power
[02:02:29] <Imps> Power?
[02:02:30] <Unknown Entity> Hah! You want power? Such a lack of imagination.
[02:02:35] <Randalthor> rekt
[02:02:35] <Libila> Master, I recognize this one.
[02:02:40] <Libila> Thelastdab is my champion, and possesses the fragments of the hunt.
[02:02:45] <Unknown Entity> Silence, Libila! I was just offering a trade, that's all.
[02:02:50] <Libila> Master, you know the rules. Ascension is required.
[02:02:54] <Unknown Entity> Yes, yes. Rules and tradition and all that wonderful stuff. Alright. Let's begin.
[02:02:58] <Unknown Entity> Thelastdab! Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.
[02:03:00] <Imps> oh shit drake aggro'd me rip my mount
[02:03:02] <Unknown Entity> For your valor, I shall lift you into the heavens and bestow upon you ascension to demigod.
[02:03:05] <Unknown Entity> A shame, really. Now you wont get power. Oh well.
[02:03:09] <Libila> Master...
[02:03:13] <Unknown Entity> I digress. We, as the council of the heavens, shall grant you one power each.
[02:03:17] <Unknown Entity> Fo. We'll start with you.
[02:03:20] <Fo> Greetings, Thelastdab. I am Fo, the Silence and the Trees.
[02:03:24] <Fo> For you, I grant a decision between four of my powers.
[02:03:27] <Fo> I offer the following: Life Transfer, Oakshell, Light of Fo, Charm
[02:03:30] <Fo> Choose, Thelastdab: Which power do you select?
[02:03:40] <Randalthor> Oakshell
[02:03:48] <Drieel> boo
[02:03:50] <Imps> rekt
[02:03:50] <Fo> Are you still there? Thelastdab, you must choose.
[02:03:59] <Thelastdab> Light of fo
[02:04:00] <Imps> inb4 if you don't choose it ends and you lose the key
[02:04:00] <Fo> I hear you, Thelastdab, and grant you the power of Light of Fo.
[02:04:05] <Unknown Entity> Your first power is Light of Fo from Fo. Next up, Magranon.
[02:04:09] <Magranon> Greetings, Thelastdab. I am Magranon, the Fire and the Mountain.
[02:04:13] <Magranon> I was going to offer you six powers, but you already chose Light of Fo, which is incompatible with one of mine.
[02:04:17] <Magranon> I offer the following: Flaming Aura, Frantic Charge, Efficiency, Dominate, Strongwall
[02:04:20] <Magranon> Choose, Thelastdab: Which power do you wish to wield?
[02:04:30] <Jaydubb> why is dab getting this stuff?
[02:04:34] <Imps> used key of ascension
[02:04:36] <Xzinex> because he got 50 keys
[02:04:37] <Imps> he's becoming a player god
[02:04:37] <Randalthor> He is becoming a god
[02:04:38] <Drieel> he got all the keys and blah
[02:04:40] <Magranon> Are you still there? Thelastdab, you must choose.
[02:04:48] <Jaydubb> oh, lol
[02:04:48] <Cookie> is he still gonna keep his acct?
[02:04:50] <Magranon> If you refuse to choose, I will choose for you. I grant you Flaming Aura.
[02:04:51] <Imps> yes
[02:04:52] <Thelastdab> Efficiency
[02:04:53] <Randalthor> Yes
[02:04:55] <Unknown Entity> Your second power is Flaming Aura from Magranon. Your next power shall come from Vynora.
[02:04:56] <Thelastdab> RIp
[02:04:57] <Sage> lol
[02:04:57] <Thelastdab> lag
[02:04:58] <Sage> rekt
[02:04:59] <Vynora> Greetings, Thelastdab. I am Vynora, the Water and the Wind.
[02:04:59] <Imps> didn't pick efficiency
[02:05:00] <Thelastdab> lolo
[02:05:00] <Imps> rekt
[02:05:03] <Vynora> I have much to offer you. Unlike my peers, I can only offer you enchant powers to choose from.
[02:05:07] <Vynora> I offer the following: Wind of Ages, Circle of Cunning, Aura of Shared Pain, Excel, Opulence
[02:05:09] <Imps> garbage god now
[02:05:10] <Vynora> Choose, Thelastdab: Which enchant power suits your needs?
[02:05:11] <Imps> reroll
[02:05:24] <Randalthor> no rerolls allowed
[02:05:26] <Imps> BD is incompatable with WOA and COC no doubt
[02:05:30] <Vynora> Are you still there? Thelastdab, you must choose.
[02:05:32] <Thelastdab> exel
[02:05:36] <Imps> nice spelling
[02:05:36] <Thelastdab> excel
[02:05:40] <Vynora> I hear you, Thelastdab, and grant you the power of Excel.
[02:05:45] <Unknown Entity> Your third power is Excel from Vynora. You have one more to choose. Libila!
[02:05:49] <Libila> Greetings, Thelastdab. I am Libila, the Hate and the Deceit.
[02:05:53] <Libila> My offerings are the most powerful of all, so choose wisely.
[02:05:56] <Randalthor> Where's breyk and cyberhusky
[02:05:57] <Libila> I offer the following: Web Armour, Blessings of the Dark, Rebirth, Drain Health, Drain Stamina
[02:06:00] <Libila> Choose, Thelastdab: What shall be your strongest power?
[02:06:06] <Imps> nailed it
[02:06:12] <Johnnyomm> cyberhusky plays this?
[02:06:15] <Thelastdab> blessings of the dark
[02:06:29] <Imps> inb4 it's blessing of the dark
[02:06:30] <Thelastdab> Blessings of the Dark
[02:06:30] <Libila> I hear you, Thelastdab, and grant you the power of Blessings of the Dark.
[02:06:31] <Randalthor> Use capitals
[02:06:35] <Unknown Entity> So it appears you have completed your choices.
[02:06:36] <Imps> wait, it's case sensitive?
[02:06:40] <Imps> who coded this dansgame
[02:06:40] <Unknown Entity> Upon ascension, you will receive Light of Fo, Flaming Aura, Excel, and Blessings of the Dark
[02:06:44] <Unknown Entity> There is one last question to answer. Which of the council shall you base your ascension on?
[02:06:48] <Unknown Entity> Each comes with their own benefit. They will explain them to you.
[02:06:52] <Fo> I can grant you immunity to thorns and the wildlife shall no longer be aggressive.
[02:06:56] <Magranon> I can grant you immunity to lava and increased learning from combat.
[02:07:00] <Vynora> I can grant you industrial aptitude.
[02:07:04] <Libila> I can grant you healing and replenishment from mycelium.
[02:07:10] <Unknown Entity> The choice is yours, Thelastdab: Which deity shall you base your ascension on? Fo, Magranon, Vynora, or Libila?
[02:07:11] <Randalthor> Magranon
[02:07:12] <Imps> never choose lib tl;dr
[02:07:21] <Thelastdab> Magranon
[02:07:34] <Thelastdab> Magranon
[02:07:40] <Unknown Entity> Your ascension shall be based on Magranon.
[02:07:45] <Unknown Entity> With this council concluded, I now award you, Thelastdab, with the Key of the Heavens.
[02:07:48] <Unknown Entity> Use it, and claim your place among the gods.

RhGRnRo.png

• Like 1

• Update to Wurm Unlimited 1.7.0.0
  • Miscellaneous
    • Thelastdab's spells have changed slightly. Removed Flaming Aura and Blessings of the Dark to be replaced by Efficiency and Rebirth. 
      • This change is being done because the scripting that allowed Thelastdab to choose their spells did not give enough time to respond with lagg involved.
      • As a result, we've worked out a compromise where he was able to re-select the spell from Magranon (Flaming Aura) and exchange it to Efficiency.
      • However, Efficiency conflicts with Blessings of the Dark, and therefore another spell had to be chosen for Libila.
      • Thelastdab has chosen Rebirth, and this iteration of the spell list is now final and will not be changed.
      • The new conclusive spell list is available below.
      • Due to the changes, we'll offer a free conversion from Thelastdab to another faith if you converted already and this change is undesirable for you. There will be no faith loss. Put in a support ticket and someone will assist you.
    • Bloodthirst maximum power has increased to 17,000. The rate is slowed gradually from 10,000 towards 15,000. At 15,000, you are required to slay rare spawns, uniques, titans, or players in order to advance the power further.
    • Frostbrand and Flaming Aura now gives 33% damage per 100 power, down from 35% damage per 100 power.
    • Weapons now display and calculate Frostbrand and Flaming Aura damage in their examine.
    • Blocking with a shield now costs stamina. This stamina cost is halved if using defensive stance.
    • Dodging now accounts for the weight and limit factor of your armour. For example, plate and chain will provide a penalty to dodge, while cloth and leather provide a bonus.
    • Reduced chance to dodge for high difficulty creatures. This should affect all uniques, rare spawns, and titans.
    • Lilith no longer pulls players to her with mycelium void. This was causing client lagg issues for some players and I'd prefer players have good client performance during combat scenarios over gameplay elements.
    • Fixed Courier and Dark Messenger not appearing in the spell list on mailboxes. This should also solve several other fringe cases.
    • Fixed an issue where Truehit and Nimbleness were not being properly calculated in the accuracy of a swing. (Thanks @Saeldur)
    • Fixed a bug where multiple players using Affinity Orbs at the same time would result in incorrect affinities being applied.
    • Fixed an issue where the reduced chance to be interrupted while casting was not being applied.
    • Fixed a server crash that Carl brought the server down for 8 hours with. God damnit Carl.
    • Fixed several reported exploits. (Thanks @Saeldur)

5Zotwy6.png

• Like 1

• DUSKombat Changes
    • Rarity from weapons now affects swing speed, providing 0.2 seconds faster swing speed per rarity level.
    • Shield blocking now has a 10 second maximum debuff penalty instead of the previous 30 seconds. This should make shields a far more effective defensive tool.
    • Frostbrand and Flaming Aura damage instances now always apply their wound (should have happened before, but I missed something).
    • Frostbrand and Flaming Aura damage now gets tracked in the Loot Assistance damage tracker.
    • Dodge chance bonus roll has been split from fully body control to half mind speed and half body control. In general this should lead to less dodges from players.
  • Miscellaneous
    • Bloodthirst gained from slaying players is now reduced as the power increases.
    • All deities now grant alignment for killing creatures.
    • Fixed a minor error where there was no space in Discord Relay's moon metal blessings from unique slayings.
    • Fixed an issue where creatures could not be equipped by leading them on Arena as of the last WU update.

• Like 1

• DUSKombat
    • Tamed mounts now give a higher bonus to attack checks.
    • Penalty to hit chance from Skill Penalty has been slightly reduced.
    • Fixed an issue where excel and nimbleness were giving a penalty to parry instead of a bonus.
  • Miscellaneous
    • Adjusted the skill gain difficulty adjustment to a new (but similar) formula. Graph below.
    • Smelting using a smelting pot has been disabled.
      • Unfortunately, smelting pots are ripe for abuse no matter how I change them.
      • Revenant and the mods we run are all about creative freedom, allowing new mechanics that bend and break the game to encourage new gameplay opportunity.
      • If smelting pots continue to exist, they impose an invisible barrier of creativity that cannot be passed.
      • New ways to improve quality of items, moving rarity, and similar all have to be designed with smelting pot use (and abuse) in mind. I want to rid myself of these restrictions, and this is the best way to do it.
      • As a background for those unaware, the reason this change is coming through right now is because of a loophole using mine doors. Creating a rare mine door then smelting it gives you a large chunk of rare material in return, which can then be used to improve other items (using the Revenant rarity changes) to create multiple more rare mine doors, and so on and so forth.
      • Smelting pots will remain, but the "Smelt" action will simply give an error telling you that Smelting is disabled (much like sermons).
    • Fixed an issue where Affinity Catchers would not be able to be consumed if you did not have an affinity for the skill already.
    • Fixed an issue where casts above 100 were sometimes causing power to be lower than the cast.
    • Fixed an issue with uniques from treasure maps spawning incorrectly, causing them to be unable to be attacked.

czmesKI.png

• Like 1

• DUSKombat
    • Swing stamina cost has been doubled.
      • Defensive stance now gives a higher reduction to the stamina cost of a swing.
      • Aggressive now gives a higher increase to the stamina cost of a swing.
    • Aggressive and Defensive stances have had multiple new bonuses and penalties applied.
      • Dodge chance now has a penalty while you're in aggressive, and bonus while in defensive. This applies in the reverse for the attacker (defensive attackers will be dodged more frequently).
      • Aggressive grants a 20% increase to critical hit chance.
      • Critical strikes in defensive deal 140% damage instead of the full 150% damage.
      • Shield blocks and parries now have a penalty if the attacker is in aggressive. Defensive now grants a bonus equivalent to double the effect of the attacker being aggressive.
    • Difficulty to hit/miss has been increased very slightly. This should make defensive measures such as block/parry/dodge more effective, but should have little effect on ability to strike if you have sufficient skill.
    • Block recovery when using a shield maximum debuff duration has been reduced to 5 seconds from 10 seconds.
    • CR potions now grant an increase to hit chance.
  • Arena
    • The Arena host will now give GL-Freedom messages about HotA.
    • Supply Depot enchant orb power rolls have been increased to 60-120 from 40-80.
      • Since the server has advanced significantly, and players are able to cast better than before, it's time that these enchants started becoming more comparable.
      • These enchants can still be the jewelry enchants (Acuity, Endurance, Industry, and Prowess).
      • As of the time of this patch, there exists only two rings at 100+ power of these high difficulty enchants.
    • Supply Depots now award 3-4 caches, increased from 2-3. Chance of crystal cache has been increased slightly.
    • Supply Depot cache quality rolls have been increased from 20-80 to 40-90.
    • HotA statues won from HotA now come in highly various colors.
    • HotA now awards 4-6 lumps of seryll, increased from 3-5.
    • HotA now awards 3-6 silver, up from 2-4 silver.
  • Weapons and Armour Balance
    • Every now and then, we adjust the balance of weapons and armour in minor ways to try and shift the meta a bit and give more options to players.
    • Buffs to underused weaponry:
      • Large Axe damage increased from 6.5 to 6.7.
      • Longsword damage increased from 5.7 to 5.9.
      • Longsword swing speed improved from 3.8 to 3.75.
      • Knuckles damage increased from 3.6 to 3.7. While knuckles used to be highly favored due to their speed, their current damage is very poor with the changes to bloodthirst. This change is meant to try and counterbalance recent changes without making them broken.
      • Short sword damage increased from 4.4 to 4.5.
      • Scythe damage increased from 9.1 to 9.25.
      • Staff swing speed improved from 4.0 to 3.9
    • Buffs to weaker armour types:
      • Cloth base damage reduction increased from 55% to 61%.
      • Cloth effectiveness versus pierce increased from 100% to 110%.
      • Leather base damage reduction increased from 65% to 67%.
      • Leather effectiveness versus crush increased from 105% to 107.5%.
      • Leather effectiveness versus slash increased from 110% to 112.5%.
      • Studded base damage reduction increased from 67.5% to 69%.
      • Studded effectiveness versus crush increased from 107.5% to 110%.
      • Chain base damage reduction increased from 67.5% to 69%.
      • Chain effectiveness versus bite increased from 107.5% to 109%.
      • Chain effectiveness versus crush increased from 105% to 107%.
      • Plate base damage reduction increased from 70% to 71%.
      • Plate effectiveness versus crush reduced from 95% to 93%.
      • Plate effectiveness versus slash increased from 105% to 107.5%.
      • Drake base damage reduction increased from 70% to 71%.
      • Drake effectiveness versus crush increased from 105% to 108%.
      • Drake effectiveness versus cold increased from 110% to 115%.
      • Dragonscale effectiveness versus bite increased from 105% to 106%.
      • Dragonscale effectiveness versus burn increased from 105% to 110%.
    • All armour has had their glance rates halved.
      • While glancing doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as it did when all damage was blocked, it still doesn't feel good.
      • Removing glancing entirely would dramatically shift the identity of armour. Most likely in a negative way.
      • For this reason, halving all the rates keeps them with their identity, but should help avoid situations where most attacks are glances.
  • Miscellaneous
    • Wisdom of Vynora has been removed from all deities.
      • On Revenant, we use a system that prevents actions from using the fatigue system, since it negatively impacts legitimate players.
      • However, this created a system where Wisdom of Vynora could be cast on cooldown to grant sleep bonus without penalty. This was unintentional.
      • Options such as ticking down the fatigue timer were considered, but the amount of work required to get that functional seemed higher than the potential gain.
      • In the end, Wisdom of Vynora as a spell doesn't fit the server philosophy and will be disabled until a new iteration can be created. I'm interested to hear suggestions about how to tweak its functionality and make it a proper addition to the server.
    • Enchanter Crystals difficulty now scales with the total combined power of enchants that you're using it on. Scaling per enchant has been removed completely.
    • Resurrection Stone price has been reduced from 5 silver to 2 silver.
    • Fixed a bug where death tabs would show being slain by nothing when killed in PvP.

We've updated to 1.8.0.3. Furthermore, a minor patch is being deployed to solve a few issues:

• Miscellaneous
    • Repaired and re-implemented Armoury, with armour changes removed. This will bring back material modifiers, weapon statistics, and similar.
    • Added new Wiki/Documentation to the Server tab, created by our CM Mashhiven.
    • Significantly reduced the XYZ dimensions of the Battle Yoyo. It should now fit into more containers.
    • Kyklops now have 80 fighting skill to make them function properly with DUSKombat.
    • Uniques have been slightly adjusted to make them a little more difficult.
    • Eternal Orb price reduced from 20 silver to 10 silver.
    • Affinity Orbs no longer restock on traders. This is a temporary bandaid solution to a problem until a proper fix can be created.
    • Fixed a bug where eternal reservoirs would not keep their fuel after a server restart.
    • Fixed an issue where some creatures were exceptionally difficult in combat due to DUSKombat.
    • Fixed a bug where titans and rare spawns would sometimes not die properly.

where you have specified certain mobs will spawn in certain areas like forrest or snow biome - is there a mod for that or is it just database editing?

On 9/21/2018 at 7:53 AM, CountZero said:

where you have specified certain mobs will spawn in certain areas like forrest or snow biome - is there a mod for that or is it just database editing?

I would check his github and look for "wyvernmods", he has a few custom creatures in there where he modifies their spawn locations. I suggest also asking any further questions in the modding subforum, so this thread stays about the server.

Been playing on this server now for a few weeks and have to say it's the most fun I've had in wurm since playing on the old Wyvern server! Well done staff!

I'm not sure when this server is going to be updated again, but I would like to ask the server owner to take another look at crystals, especially the enchanter ones. Seeing players with over 200 power enchants by hoarding crystals (which is not difficult to do) is rather discouraging to new players and a slap in the face to those who played for months without having to exploit those items. I worked hard to raise the stats of my character, but they mean zilch when someone can come along and be carried by such boosted items and casts. Months ago I saw a player with a Fantastic 100ql Staff that had similarly powerful enchants, so I can only imagine how bad the situation is now. It has deterred me from participating in any further combat or unique hunts on this server.

I've heard rumors that there might be a new map added to the server. If so, it would be great if it had separate inventories and there were no crystals there. Players had no problem grouping up to kill uniques before the crystal meta was the norm (even soloing certain ones), which is why I argue that crystals could be cut out entirely. Largely thanks to crystals, uniques have become pinatas for free items that die within an hour of being spawned. And I say all this as someone who has benefited from crystals myself by supreming my statuettes. I took no joy in abusing an OP mechanic, players do it merely because it's mandatory to catch up with others and there's no downside to using them. It's not fun or impressive, it's just a free ticket to majorly buffing your items.That's not what Wurm is about, and it hurts the community. Many players are self-sufficient, walking gods now and the trading scene is dead. Very sad because this used to be the greatest WU server IMO.

Edited by Draulius
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Draulius said:

I'm not sure when this server is going to be updated again, but I would like to ask the server owner to take another look at crystals, especially the enchanter ones. Seeing players with over 200 power enchants by hoarding crystals (which is not difficult to do) is rather discouraging to new players and a slap in the face to those who played for months without having to exploit those items. I worked hard to raise the stats of my character, but they mean zilch when someone can come along and be carried by such boosted items and casts. Months ago I saw a player with a Fantastic 100ql Staff that had similarly powerful enchants, so I can only imagine how bad the situation is now. It has deterred me from participating in any further combat or unique hunts on this server.

I've heard rumors that there might be a new map added to the server. If so, it would be great if it had separate inventories and there were no crystals there. Players had no problem grouping up to kill uniques before the crystal meta was the norm (even soloing certain ones), which is why I argue that crystals could be cut out entirely. Largely thanks to crystals, uniques have become pinatas for free items that die within an hour of being spawned. And I say all this as someone who has benefited from crystals myself by supreming my statuettes. I took no joy in abusing an OP mechanic, players do it merely because it's mandatory to catch up with others and there's no downside to using them. It's not fun or impressive, it's just a free ticket to majorly buffing your items.That's not what Wurm is about, and it hurts the community. Many players are self-sufficient, walking gods now and the trading scene is dead. Very sad because this used to be the greatest WU server IMO.

You make very good points. It can be highly demoralizing to see the type of items players have on the servers, considering how much easier they are to obtain with the mechanics introduced.

To explain the thought process behind the crystals, they no doubt create a power creep. As more crystals enter the economy, player stats increase, and more are used to create more powerful weapons - there becomes a dynamic where the players end up outscaling the toughest creatures the game has to offer. In most cases, this would be a red flag, and would call for nerfs on the items or buffs to the creatures to make them more challenging. However, my philosophy follows another track. Nerfing the items just makes the players who worked hard to obtain them feel bad. Buffing the creatures makes it more difficult for newer players to deal with existing creatures, further increasing the problem to begin with.

Instead, my philosophy dictates that power creep is fine, so long as there is consistent challenge to accompany that creep. This aligns with how most MMORPG's handle increasing item power. As a new expansion is released which enables higher level caps or stronger items, new content with new challenges are released to accompany that increase in power.

Sadly, because I haven't been actively developing Revenant, the new content side hasn't had a chance to catch up, leaving players in an overpowered state for everything the game currently has available. To remedy this, the next goal is to introduce a hunting map that will contain new creatures and challenges that players can engage with. The timeline on this is undefined, as I'm currently awaiting the next Wurm Unlimited update before beginning further development on the server. There is a significant number of changes to the code base from the last several months of Wurm Online development that will break a very large portion of my mods. Any development I do on my mods now has a high likelyhood of being invalid with the new changes.

In conclusion, I hear what you're saying and agree. There's definitely things that need to be done to improve the server's health overall, and I fully intend to develop Revenant further. When the next Wurm Unlimited update becomes available, you'll see those developments begin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

I think the problem, at least to me, isn't whether or not we can be OP with crystals, but that Enchanting is basically useless for competing with that one strategy of upscaling our stats.
Given the insane investment channeling requires due to not getting many of the usual skillgain buffs of other skill-grinds, it just feels wrong that it ends up being the ineffective option.

As for power-creep solutions, we've seen how that pans out in MMORPGs, players will just clear all that content with their relatively-still-good gear from the previous power-creep cycle and then instantly demand more. The veteran players are already forking out 5s all the way up to 60s on deeds monthly, there are entire systems going to become negligible if there's more upscale.

Edited by paterso

Enchanters crystals and chaos orbs should have NEVER been added. They destroyed Wyvern and they have caused huge damage here as well. One of the biggest problems this server has IMO. Next to people stacking fighting skill affinites for huge bonuses in fighting and soloing uniques. 

Edited by atazs

I don't think the power creep of MMORPG's is a good example for you to follow. It leaves new players in the dust and renders a lot of older content obsolete. It has been shown time and time again that the formula is unhealthy. I don't wish to derail your thread so I shall keep it short - There are reasons why things such as WoW and Everquest vanilla servers have become increasingly popular. Instead, it would be a better goal for you to balance the current game rather than continuously add end-game content just to appease the overpowered players which make up a small portion of your server. That is a mistake many MMORPG's made. It is a band-aid that does not address the root of the problem, will continue ad infinitum, and will needlessly add much more to your development time. The OP players will become more OP and the problem worsens.

Edited by Draulius

To demonstrate how stupid crystals are, here is someone's 90ql+ supreme adamantine staff:

[14:30:32] It is enchanted to deal acid damage.
[14:30:32] Butchery buff has been cast on it, so it improves butchery product max ql [26.2]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves weapon smithing max ql. [13.6]
[14:30:32] Flaming Aura has been cast on it, so it will burn targets hit with it. [451.1]
[14:30:32] Harden has been cast on it, so it will take reduced damage when used. [99.4]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves rope making max ql. [33.1]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves mining max ql. [37.7]
[14:30:32] Wind of ages has been cast on it, so it will be quicker to use. [333.4]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves tailoring max ql. [22.3]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves armour smithing max ql. [35.0]
[14:30:32] Efficiency has been cast on it, so it will be more effective when used. [178.1]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves fletching max ql. [29.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves blacksmithing max ql. [12.6]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves leather working max ql. [18.3]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves ship building max ql. [22.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves stone cutting max ql. [29.9]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves masonry max ql. [44.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves wood cutting max ql. [30.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves carpentry max ql. [45.8]
[14:30:32] Life Transfer has been cast on it, so it will transfer life to you when harming enemies. [398.4]
[14:30:32] A steel rune of Vynora has been attached, so it will reduce damage taken (10%).

They either need to be removed and enchants nerfed down altogether, or seperate the inventories of Revenant and this new hunting server.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 2

I have to agree on this one, at first glance that weapon would do the work of what 6-8 "average" fighters would be able to do.

There are two main problems with those high enchant, first they render a dedicated channeler "obsolete" because even with 99-100 channeling i don't find it would be possible to compete with such values. Second, 300-400 enchant is just too much, the pve content (uniques like dragons etc) is not balanced for these enchants imo. Only a 300+FA is like 3 weapons in 1, and that's without keeping count of all the other enchants on it. They are good for a server where players develop to freely roam and enjoy soloing dragons and other uniques. Otherwise they kill group slayings and other events. In PvP scenario.. let's not even get started. But i'm not that much of a PvPer so not gonna say much about it.

It is certainly fun for the players wielding them, to reach new limits no doubt. But it comes with some problems and having such a potent arsenal doesn't promote group effort.

Some time ago pets were nerfed with the Bloodlust mechanic (uniques enrage when they hit tamed pets) so people stopped altogether bringing them over unique fights for tanking and extra damage, the reason being to encourage actual players to group up for the slaying instead of relying on their pets (so also byebye to battle pets breeding as hobby). But weapons with enchants able to do 8x the job of a player doesn't seem to encourage very much group effort either :).

All this aside, we'll see what happens when this new "hunting" map and new "content" will get released.

Edited by MashHiven

11 hours ago, atazs said:

To demonstrate how stupid crystals are, here is someone's 90ql+ supreme adamantine staff:

[14:30:32] It is enchanted to deal acid damage.
[14:30:32] Butchery buff has been cast on it, so it improves butchery product max ql [26.2]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves weapon smithing max ql. [13.6]
[14:30:32] Flaming Aura has been cast on it, so it will burn targets hit with it. [451.1]
[14:30:32] Harden has been cast on it, so it will take reduced damage when used. [99.4]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves rope making max ql. [33.1]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves mining max ql. [37.7]
[14:30:32] Wind of ages has been cast on it, so it will be quicker to use. [333.4]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves tailoring max ql. [22.3]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves armour smithing max ql. [35.0]
[14:30:32] Efficiency has been cast on it, so it will be more effective when used. [178.1]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves fletching max ql. [29.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves blacksmithing max ql. [12.6]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves leather working max ql. [18.3]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves ship building max ql. [22.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves stone cutting max ql. [29.9]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves masonry max ql. [44.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves wood cutting max ql. [30.8]
[14:30:32] It has been imbued with special abilities, and it improves carpentry max ql. [45.8]
[14:30:32] Life Transfer has been cast on it, so it will transfer life to you when harming enemies. [398.4]
[14:30:32] A steel rune of Vynora has been attached, so it will reduce damage taken (10%).

They either need to be removed and enchants nerfed down altogether, or seperate the inventories of Revenant and this new hunting server.

You're right. Straight up. The last time I looked at the database for spell effects on items was months ago, and at the time I recall only seeing a handful of items (less than 10) total with casts above 200. This was several months after the server had launched with the crystals in play, and it was fine. This is no longer the case, and there are now hundreds or possibly thousands of items with casts ranging up to 900.

To explain why I thought it would never get out of control: crystals have a difficulty increase as more enchants are used on an item. This creates an artificial cap on the amount of enchants an item can have. In your example, there is a total of 1360 total enchant power across the enchants you've highlighted. This would create a 136 difficulty increase when infusing the crystal, on top of the base difficulty which is usually around the 20-40 range. For reference, it would be like trying to improve a QL 150 item. The chances of failure are extremely high.

Players are bypassing this mechanic and creating superpowered weapons through clever usage of game mechanics, enchanting items which can be split while retaining their enchants (arrow packs). They then can experiment with crystals on the individual arrows and copy any success to another arrow pack using an eternal orb. If one arrow critically fails, which is highly likely, then it's no big deal as there are dozens of other copies of the exact same enchant already in play. This is a problem, and I intend to solve it. The risk/reward factor should have artificially limited the enchants to the ~200-300 power range using crystals and excessive amounts of money to create these items. I don't particularly find this a problem if enough time is invested, but that time and money investment is being bypassed through the mechanics that currently exist.

I'll be working on a way to resolve this without simply deleting these items, as it's not the fault of the players who were ingenious enough to figure out how to bend the mechanics to their favor. This is my fault for neither having the foresight to link these mechanics together for this type of abuse, nor paying a close eye on the server for the past several months. I apologize for letting it get this out of control and assure you that further updates will aim to resolve these problems.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 2:44 AM, Sindusk said:

it's not the fault of the players who were ingenious enough to figure out how to bend the mechanics to their favor.

True as that may be, it's much easier and low-risk to raise casts this way over normal means. Players shouldn't get to keep them, and it will be doubly unfair when no longer possible, making them the strongest players forever. In my opinion you should consider capping all enchant power to the highest value normally reachable, around 200 or so. I never saw anyone get a legit cast above 250 using crystals before this exploit was discovered. This would still be very powerful, yet allow players with 90-95 channeling to get rather close. This is more damaging than the rarity exploit by far, yet you took further action then.

Regardless, thank you for your response and I'm glad to hear you will be working on the server again soon.

Edited by Draulius
  • Like 1

I appreciate the answer and that you will look into it. However you cannot deny that right now Revenant is turning into Wyvern v2. 

Who knows what sort of items are out there that people use for skilling as well? Imagine a 900 botd or coc. No wonder people have so high skills now in the late 90s too. No wonder they can simply grind a skill to 95+ in a matter of days. PvP is already broken because of this. Recently a group of people wanted to try PvP but the fact that no matter what they really seem to do, that they will just get 3-4 shotted is extremely demoralizing. 

Something drastic needs to be done, and simply fixing this exploit, or adding harder content is not enough

Crystals need to be removed or their powers limited to 100. Limit every single enchant existing on the server that is above 200 to 200. If you want casts higher than 100 then you should be using channeling.  I've seen plenty of mid 100 casts just via channeling so it is doable. They are rare, need good equipment, but doable, just how it should be. 

Even then, the massive damage is already done. People have used this to skill to extreme highs.

And i agree with the other post. You took much more serious action with the rares but this is more damaging. I remember the flak you were getting back then, and how some people even quit, so is that why you are afraid now? 

Edited by atazs

Hello,

I’ve been playing on this server since the end of last summer. I’ve enjoyed it immensely. Most of my time has been spent hunting and building and on the skills to do those self sufficiently.

I can say for most of that time I’ve been the only one online in our alliance during primetime in my timezone. I’ve seen more people come and go on the server than I can count on both hands and feet. Players who stay for an hour/day and those who stay for weeks/months. All the same, most gone now. Then you have some who were here playing when I started and might still be playing when I stop.

I’m one of the players with high powered enchants and that’s my staff enchants listed up there. I put the energy, time and effort to get staffs to rare and then one to supreme. Then even more energy, time and effort to get the enchants. What you see is the result, not the weeks and months behind it. I'm currently pushing for a fantastic one this summer. I was surprised that Sindusk would tell everyone the easiest way of doing enchanters crystals without having a “fix” for it first if it was unintended to use arrow packs this way after all. For myself this particular aha moment was among my top 10 on the server I think and now it’s spoiled so others can’t discover it for themselves. Perhaps I’m just an old geezer who doesn’t think everything should be in a wiki so people can read about it before trying it out for themselves. What ever happened to learning by doing and talking to people in-game?

Anyhow, people seem to think getting crystals and gold is almost instantaneous. I’ve spent considerable time talking to other players and getting their tips on the crystals, more time on getting gold for eternal orbs and even more time to get the actual enchanters/chaos crystals. Not once have I bought crystals, all have been gotten through crystal caches or depots. Trade has been mostly dead here for the time I’ve been playing anyway.

Arena depot is the fastest way to get a chance at a crystal cache. A chance mind you, it’s not certain. Then when opening the crystal cache you also have a random mix of enchanters/chaos crystals inside. Getting enough enchanters crystals for these take time. Archaeology is another option for crystal caches. I’ve spent many weeks digging in the dirt and many more cleaning up fragments. Yet another option is treasure maps. I’m not sure if there’s a leaderboard for those but I’ve done a good few and that’s also only a chance at crystal cache.

My interest in arena is solely the depots and uniques. My most recent interesting unique I’ve soloed is venerable red dragon or Big Red as I like calling him. It was awesome and it took forever and it is among my top 10 moments. Ask me sometime about the black dragon hatchling I played with for over 1 hour cause we were so evenly matched.

Personally I couldn’t care less about pvp. Pretty sure the only time I’ve killed someone on arena was at depots/uniques or if they attacked first. For the longest time Amorph and Snake had arena to themselves. Did I whine then? No, I worked on getting more powerful. My only true pvp experience was when Amorph attacked Luladrao and myself while we were training against a titan on arena recently. He mistook our training weapons for our real weapons I guess judging by how slowly the titan went down. Well we got to kill him for once. Was Amorph mad? No, he even said “Nice” in local.

No one has cared about the pvp server in the time I’ve been playing until just recently. From what I understand it’s returning players and pvpers that are complaining that they don’t like the direction the server has taken. This is fine, perhaps the server is not a good match for them? Well the squeaky wheel tends to get the grease.

I’ve seen a pretty steady increase in power during my time playing here. It was only recently I discovered the arrow pack trick and started getting power-ups faster. I did inform a GM of my discovery at the time and from that conversation I gathered that it wasn’t a bug/exploit and intended. The very next day I started putting time and energy into using this way to explore how enchanters crystals worked more in depth. Now I read that people complain and want to get rid of them altogether (again mostly old players returning or new pvpers?) which would be a shame cause it’s a really interesting and different mechanic and uses some of the characteristics maybe people usually don’t work on. The arrow pack mechanic could be disabled easily I guess or it could be reworked into a new item that served the same purpose but had more cost or limits to it.

Decaying enchants that have been moved with eternal orbs would mean the orbs are more or less worthless and you have to enchant every new weapon/tool separately. I like training weapons. This means I can’t move my training enchants to it and instead have to stand around for a few hours getting nice casts instead of spending a few coins and be done with it. On every new weapon. What does that mean with this market? I know quite a few people who quit the game because of the channeling grind. Also it’s natural I would dislike seeing all my time, energy and effort spent go to waste.

I have all 4 relevant deity priests channeling skill at around 80-85. What will stop people from complaining if I put the time in to get them to 90+? There’s people with 90+ channeling and a lot of them don’t play regularly or at all anymore. People already complain that they can’t find anyone to make and improve things for them or to enchant their items. I don’t sell enchanting or imping services.

And what about alts? Will my 3 priest alts get banned one day? What about my pocket healer, will she get banned one day cause I can fight and heal myself? Truly to me it seems like some people just wish to whine and dump on others who put more time into the game than they have or can. Or newer players trying to impose their view of what the server should be like. This new direction of what could perhaps be called catering to pvpers is worrying. Talk about significantly changing the server many of us have enjoyed for months.

How about giving people a template character for arena play? That way you have no skill/gear advantage if that’s what is wanted. Or a separate skill list/inventory altogether? Perhaps ban alts on arena? What about not allowing more than 1v1 fights since that would be an advantage as well and someone might have more friends than others? What about renaming Arena to Hunting Map and disable pvp and deeds and call it a day. I’m serious about this last one.

It’s only a game. I play it to have fun and relax. Drama free zone here (most of the time) and positivity all the way. When it stops being fun I consider if it is the game or the server that is not fun and accordingly either stop playing wurm for a while or change server.

-Tolbin

• Like 1