Sign in to follow this  
DrThrewba

Computer Lags when opening Launcher

Whenever i open the game launcher my PC slows down to a crawl for around 40 seconds. Task-manager shows no spike in CPU usage and background audio is fine, its like my PC is running at 5 fps.

Once the program has finished opening everything goes back to normal and the game runs fine, its just opening the launcher that causes this.

It's a known issue, try the preview client (if WU has one? I'm only on WO .. duh), works fine for me and does not have the problem. :)

Edited by Milkdrop

On 3/27/2018 at 2:07 AM, Milkdrop said:

It's a known issue, try the preview client (if WU has one? I'm only on WO .. duh), works fine for me and does not have the problem. :)

WU doesn't have a preview client afaik but it does have a beta release for 1.6 which is similar. WU lags 3 - 6 months behind WO - it's a bit of a sticking point for some in the community that we get backwater updates ( including myself obviously :/ )

Unfortunately the 1.6 update hasn't resolved my issue, if anything it seems to freeze even longer

Have a look at your keybindings.txt file for excessive duplications...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Have a look at your keybindings.txt file for excessive duplications...

This. I used to have to sit and wait forever to get the launcher to open when I had a similar issue. It was a bug with keybindings.txt growing to a monstrous size by spamming duplicate lines, and going from like 3 kilobytes up to 20 megabytes or more.

I thought they had fixed this at one stage but it may have broken again, check for the file here and see whether it is larger than a few kilobytes:

\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\default

Easiest fix is deleting it and regenerating a fresh one but that also means you have to reset keybindings. It takes a long time for it to build up again so that may hold you over till the next game update.

:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

It';s been fixed from happening again, but if its not been removed it'll still lag, just won't grow

• Like 1

Has a fix ever been found for this? I deleted my keybindings and still no relief from this lag

It's better now in 1.9 but when I launched via a console I noticed the lag was caused whilst all my 3rd party mods were being injected in. 

Try not using the mod loader at all if you are just to see if it starts quicker.