Sign in to follow this  
RavenLure

Up Up and away in my beautiful balloon

My Idea may be a little crazy.. but I think it would be wonderful to have a hot air balloon.  The balloon part would be sewn pieces of leather  attached my rope to a wicker basket... can hold maybe two people. 

Now you can only land on your deed or undeeded lands... I think it would be cool to see wurm from above. I love finding high places that have ramps leading up the  surface mined places. and over looking New Spring the views are amazing. i think would be great to see it from a hot air balloon!

• Like 4

I always agree with Brandon (at least almost always)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RipPeralT said:

+1 would be awesome

but -1 on PvP servers

You would shoot'em down with arrows :)

Thou generally I've no idea what I think about this yet.

• Like 1

+1, I always like the views when I make it to the top of a mountain.

Just one request, a cloth parachute, I don't trust new technologies.

Actually, one more, extensive testing in gale force winds before releasing to the public.

So...  The ability to fly up to my mountain and land there, drop a deed and destroy my home?

+1

+1. Although, from a PvP perspective, weren't balloons originally tethered, and simply used as scouts? Could they be reliably steered, or would they just be at the mercy of the prevailing winds?

Would be fun to tether one to a boat, though... :P

15 hours ago, Alkhadias said:

You would shoot'em down with arrows :)

Thou generally I've no idea what I think about this yet.

YES! That would definitely prevent them from being abused (and even used!) on Chaos lol

Sky lanterns apparently date back to 3rd century BC in Asia, and when looking at geoglyphs in South America, who knows what the heck they were up to.

5cb5cf938052b300f70c5f5c510977f2.jpg

Similar idea, and I'm thinking given enough mead, Floki could have jury-rigged something together.

allow pvp lanterns so i can release 1 in a call for help

+1 cause its amusing to think of people getting shot out of the sky on pvp servers. XD

• Like 1

Glad you are all loving this idea and the possibilities.! This is wonderful.. I have another question... would we want to keep it the balloon part leather or should it be able to be dyed different colors or even with Kingdom emblems on them.. what are your thoughts on this??

11 hours ago, RavenLure said:

Glad you are all loving this idea and the possibilities.! This is wonderful.. I have another question... would we want to keep it the balloon part leather or should it be able to be dyed different colors or even with Kingdom emblems on them.. what are your thoughts on this??

I'd say both, have a "Kingdom Balloon" and a "patchwork balloon" pattern. First one matches the kingdom of the maker, the second makes a bold but non-kingdom pattern that can be made distinct with multiple colors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Darmalus said:

I'd say both, have a "Kingdom Balloon" and a "patchwork balloon" pattern. First one matches the kingdom of the maker, the second makes a bold but non-kingdom pattern that can be made distinct with multiple colors.

and make em only flyable off server, no inventory..If they're easily shot down, they'd really be worth something.

• Like 1

I really hope that this is doable and that they will do this.. We need more people to back this idea so they know we want this too happen! :P

I love the idea.  But anything fun is usually not PVP friendly, so of course leave them out of it. 

+1 But you have made one mistake in the making.  The balloon should be made of cloth, not leather, leather is too heavy to inflate with hot air.  And to keep it difficult, we need a basket making skill.  We could use reeds to make it, but a basket that big should use a large amount of reeds and lots of skill to make, so lots of bushel basket will get made before you are ready to make a balloon basket.  The basket skill could be interesting, lots of other types of baskets could be made, Easter baskets, cornucopias, etc.  More variety in containers is always fun.

On 28/03/2018 at 6:56 AM, RavenLure said:

A nice big -1 to kingdom balloons, unless freedom gets its own player kingdoms.

9 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

A nice big -1 to kingdom balloons, unless freedom gets its own player kingdoms.

Why? I play Freedom exclusively but I don't get this position. I'd like for Freedom Kingdoms/Duchies but I don't see ho this would get us any closer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

+1 But you have made one mistake in the making.  The balloon should be made of cloth, not leather, leather is too heavy to inflate with hot air.  And to keep it difficult, we need a basket making skill.  We could use reeds to make it, but a basket that big should use a large amount of reeds and lots of skill to make, so lots of bushel basket will get made before you are ready to make a balloon basket.  The basket skill could be interesting, lots of other types of baskets could be made, Easter baskets, cornucopias, etc.  More variety in containers is always fun.

we can have cloth ones too..  I can understand your point on cloth.. more realistic   but trolls and hug spiders do not exisit in real life. I  like the look of leather and patch work leather.. remembering a purse I seen in the 1970's. The first balloons were made from paper or cloth in 1783  First hot air balloon. So may be we can have a choice.. besides if you are in a pvp server cloth and paper can burn easier lol than leather.. just sayn' :huh:

10 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Why? I play Freedom exclusively but I don't get this position. I'd like for Freedom Kingdoms/Duchies but I don't see ho this would get us any closer.

Because, for every PvP kingdom item introduced, the odds of PvE kingdoms (with their own flags, tents etc) become less likely.

• Like 1