Malena

A new Wurm Fansite and the new home of the world famous "Items list"

27 posts in this topic

Hey folks!

 

Whenever I get really passionate about an MMO, I usually whip up a fansite for it in one form or another. Most times the main goal is to simply save all my screenies and stories in one place for my own personal pleasure, so I can later go back and reminisce of the good old times.

 

The stories and screenshots section of my UO website is a great example of that. Oh how very dear those old stories are to me now! 

 

Anyhow, seeing as I've been playing Wurm for nearly 5 years now, it was HIGH TIME I finally make a fansite for Wurm as well. I've got a section there now for my Wurm videos, but more importantly, the world famous Wurm Items list has been permanently moved over from Google docs to this site. So if you want to browse through all the bits and bobs that the game has in 3d form, that you could potentially decorate your deeds with, head on over and take in the splendour of all those lovely items the Wurm devs have created. I used Wurm Unlimited to take screenshots of most things I could spawn into the world. 

 

Sorry for the "old skool" style of the site, but it's all hand coded with mostly old skool HTML tags. Never got very deep into the CSS stuff, let alone other goodies like Java etc.

 

http://www.andrea.net/wurm/

 

screenie.jpg

29 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Good on ya,

 

Worked well on mobile which is handy. With recent updates you may have lots of extra stuff to add in a la metal everything.

Also much nicer than the plain white of gdocs.

 

Edited by cccdfern
edert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An excellent read, obviously the result of many hours of real dedication. Interesting, informative and easy to browse through.

 

Congratulations!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work! I really like what you did there. ;)

 

One small detail I noticed - on item list, I think "details" would be more fitting than "requirements" looking at info you put there.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Guys the stylesheet seems to be acting up for me. Sometimes the correct colors and sizes are showing, sometimes all I see are "default" sizes and link colors (purple or blue etc).

 

The way they SHOULD be looking is like this:

 

Light beige: link that has not yet been opened

Dark beige: link that has already been opened

 

Main thing is that they should be beige, not purple, not blue and the contents should be showing in a smaller size font. When the stylesheet fails, all the text is in the same size. By re-uploading the stylesheet.css, it seems to fix itself temporarily. So weird!

 

screenie2.jpg

 

Do they look like that for y'all? 

 

And Warlander: Good point! The requirements title was from back in the day when I only had the skill requirements there, but it's true that that column has many kinds of things now. Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed now! 

 

Edited by Malena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really great website! You should do some more WO videos I'll be watching them all! Would be nice to see an update on the deed! :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Enuf said:

Really great website! You should do some more WO videos I'll be watching them all! Would be nice to see an update on the deed! :)

 

Aww thank ye kindly Enuf and others! Yeah I actually shot some footage of my deed months ago but never got around to editing it. Should do that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Finndar said:

I've updated the Wurm Public Documentation sticky with the new pointer.

 

Oh cool, thank you! I wasn't even aware it had been linked there :). Looks like a handy dandy list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 6:16 AM, Enuf said:

Really great website! You should do some more WO videos I'll be watching them all! Would be nice to see an update on the deed! :)

I agree! I watched some videos on the website the other day and didn't realize about an hour or two past!

 

Keep up the awesome work! :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PumperNickel said:

I agree! I watched some videos on the website the other day and didn't realize about an hour or two past!

 

Keep up the awesome work! :)

 

Awww!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job as usual Malena!  There are not enough fan sites for Wurm unlike other MMO's.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank ye kindly Fineal! I really hope that the stuff I do has a positive effect in helping the right players find the right game = wurm. We all know what a niche group of gamers we are. Not only are we gamers, but we're MMO players, and sandboxers, and out of all the sandbox MMOs we have chosen Wurm.

 

Some might wonder why I put so much effort into this stuff, well of course it's wonderful to "give" in the form of helping wurm succeed or providing neat things for the players, but there is mostly a very selfish motive behind all of this: I want Wurm to thrive so that I can continue enjoying this game and so that the massive investment I've put into Wurm (in the form of building our deeds and training our skills up) will not be wasted and lost. I would be absolutely DEVASTATED if we were told next year that Wurm is going to shut it's servers. Besides, as much of a hermit as I am, I still insist that the more the merrier. I'm absolutely delighted when I see someone sail by my island in local, or if I bump into other players on my travels. 

 

Long live Wurm!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the sort of website I'd expect when loading up Wurmonline @Retrograde

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oopsie daisies! Looks like I forgot to edit after copying the code from the previous one! Fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sheer amount of work that has gone into that item list is impresive; I salute the folks who gave up days of their time to make that!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

The sheer amount of work that has gone into that item list is impresive; I salute the folks who gave up days of their time to make that!

 

Aw thanks Ether! The list is a couple of years old now and I've gradually been adding on more and more as time has gone by. The original reason why I even started making it was because I wanted to decorate my deed and furnish my house, but wasn't quite sure what all objects are out there and there was no proper way to "peruse" the catalog of wurm 3d items. So it's mostly been for myself and I continue to use it regularly. I'm so glad it's been useful for others as well! 

 

A real proper facepalm moment for me was recently when I realized that Wurm has the option to turn off anti-alias. Up till just a few weeks ago, I had been taking screenshots then hand selecting them in Photoshop to remove the background. But after realizing I could turn off the anti-alias, I did so, then reskinned one of the tile types to pink, then took screenies against that, allowing me to pretty much instantly lift the item out from the background using the magic wand in Photoshop. Here's a picture of my "studio" :-D. Now if I could only figure out how to completely turn off the shadows as well. 

 

studio.jpg

Edited by Malena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Malena said:

 

Aw thanks Ether! The list is a couple of years old now and I've gradually been adding on more and more as time has gone by. The original reason why I even started making it was because I wanted to decorate my deed and furnish my house, but wasn't quite sure what all objects are out there and there was no proper way to "peruse" the catalog of wurm 3d items. So it's mostly been for myself and I continue to use it regularly. I'm so glad it's been useful for others as well! 

 

A real proper facepalm moment for me was recently when I realized that Wurm has the option to turn off anti-alias. Up till just a few weeks ago, I had been taking screenshots then hand selecting them in Photoshop to remove the background. But after realizing I could turn off the anti-alias, I did so, then reskinned one of the tile types to pink, then took screenies against that, allowing me to pretty much instantly lift the item out from the background using the magic wand in Photoshop. Here's a picture of my "studio" :-D. Now if I could only figure out how to completely turn off the shadows as well. 

 

studio.jpg

 

There is also my WOM Model Viewer which works for most Wurm models (as long as there is no transparency in texture, it can't really handle it well). If you need, I can easily modify it to suit your needs. (custom background, lightning etc.)

 

Edit: It's possible to easily add screenshot feature which captures the object only as well, with background being an alpha channel. If you are interested, feel free to write here or via PM. :)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Warlander said:

 

There is also my WOM Model Viewer which works for most Wurm models (as long as there is no transparency in texture, it can't really handle it well). If you need, I can easily modify it to suit your needs. (custom background, lightning etc.)

 

Edit: It's possible to easily add screenshot feature which captures the object only as well, with background being an alpha channel. If you are interested, feel free to write here or via PM. :)

 

Aw thanks for the offer of help Warlander!

You know, it wasn't until a few days ago that I even noticed the existence of your model viewer! On one hand I was cursing myself for not realizing about it earlier, but then again at the end of the day, for most of the stuff I've screenshotted, I've tailored the lighting to be just right for that particular item in Wurm Unlimited with the "Wurm weather control" window. Some items require more light, some less, some require more low sun to emphasize the shadow more etc. So in that sense, I think in the end WU is still going to be the way to go with this. Still handy to know your tool exists though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome website, awesome art, awesome dedication! To much awesomeness !

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cccdfern said:

Do you have plans to add more to this?

 

If you mean to the items list, I think I've pretty much scoured through everything there is that can be displayed in 3d format (and if anyone notices anything major missing, let me know). 

If you mean the site itself, yes I will want to add a screenshots and stories section very much like I had for my UO site, so I can look back and remember good times :). 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now